Woo Audio WA22 Amp Owner Unite
Mar 23, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #241 of 2,688
I'll be taking a large plastic storage container. Moreso just looking for suggestions of what to put the tubes into from anyone with experience doing that. I'll figure something out. Maybe will use Illy coffee containers plus some foam sheets if i hid some away somewhere. And holding it all myself in a taxi :)

Mar 25, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #242 of 2,688
I'd be very interested to hear how it compares to the more expensive MHA-100.

My recommended tubes would be 4 * 6BL7's (and adapters) + ECC31 (and adapter) or ECC33 or ECC35 + rectifier of your choice.

Any reason you'd prefer one ECC driver over another? I am using the LCD-X and currently with RCA 6C8Gs the sound is a bit harsh in the mids.

Mar 25, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #243 of 2,688
The ECC33 and ECC35 have more gain/power. The ECC31 is a cheaper way to obtain all the goodness of an ECC32. 

Mar 25, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #245 of 2,688
Haha, I was shopping for a desklamp and saw some if those fancy light globes amd it made me think if tube amps.

Interestingly the vacuum tube was an accident with a light globe experiment to clean carbon deposit in the globe.

Mar 26, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #246 of 2,688
Noob Question I imagine I'd eventually answer with time and reading. Hope you'll save me that.

What is the riser card at the outside of the amp in front of the output transformers on which two tubes are mounted in the OP's photos? The amp I purchased does not have that.

EDIT: please disregard. It didn't take much effort after all, lol. From a few posts from the top, " You can use singles as a direct drop in or buy adapters to run two per socket." And I now understand the meaning of "4 * 6BL7's (and adapters)".

I assume these adapters have the two tubes operating in parallel to double the current provided to the transformers?

Congrats on your new Woo amp you'll really love it's awesome sq, quad 6bl7's are some of the finest I've heard nearly on par with the mighty 5998's @ a far less price range. They are well worth a try you'll need adapters for that combo.Also try to get your hands on a pair of mullards eccxx for drivers simply the very best in sq..31,32,33,35's my ecc31's + 35's never get removed their that good..enjoy

Mar 26, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #247 of 2,688
Thanx abvolt and all earlier.

Question, anyone else find the output to be reversed?

Last night I finally got around to firing it up. I noticed something was off right away on the 1st track i listened to. Soon realized on the 2nd track what should be in my right ear on one of my test tracks I know especially well was coming from my left ear.

The 1/4 inch output is the same as 4pin xlr. That they're consistent is good as this can simply be addressed by swapping right/left at the amp input and it addresses it for both 1/4 inch and 4pin XLR out. Anyone else have this?

Mar 26, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #248 of 2,688
Hi All, any recommendation appreciated here: On my WA22 I've been rolling between the Philips 6080 and the Tung Sol 7236. The first is nice and mellow, and the second is more dynamic, but at times a little 'edgy.' Any alternative tube recs? Ideally that aren't too expensive, and can be got a hold of without too much difficulty. I guess I'm looking for the dynamism of the 7236, but with a little more smoothness. Thanks for your thoughts.

Mar 26, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #249 of 2,688
  Hi All, any recommendation appreciated here: On my WA22 I've been rolling between the Philips 6080 and the Tung Sol 7236. The first is nice and mellow, and the second is more dynamic, but at times a little 'edgy.' Any alternative tube recs? Ideally that aren't too expensive, and can be got a hold of without too much difficulty. I guess I'm looking for the dynamism of the 7236, but with a little more smoothness. Thanks for your thoughts.

I really didn't like the 7236. For all the rave reviews I thought they were Woo over rated.

6BL7 tubes should be your ticket. Dynamic, punchy, warm and very little treble harshness.

Mar 28, 2017 at 6:26 AM Post #250 of 2,688
Thanks for the tip Badas
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 29, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #251 of 2,688
What is everyone using as a tube tester?

Edit: I didn't think this forum supported quoted multi-string searches. But I found a search for "tube tester" was accurate. So I found good discussions.

Apr 2, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #252 of 2,688
I think it would be interesting to see what tubes with adapters have you guys been using in your WA22 .as  power tubes,  rectifier  or drivers ?

Apr 19, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #253 of 2,688
As a noob I made my first misstep.  I've heard so many good things about the Mullard ECC35 (thanks (AbVolt) that I bought a pair.  Shame on me, I got them off eBay.  One of the tubes (left channel) has a low level hum.  It is inaudible at any volume that I listen at and it does not get louder as volume is raised.

Otherwise, the SQ is just friggin awesome!!  Better than the Woo upgrade Sylvania 6SN7GT and the sweet lush RCA gray glass VT-231 I rolled into a couple of weeks ago. 

I love vintage things and can deal with the imperfection.  But, it's like that little speck of wine on your rug that you hide under the ottoman.  It's annoying simply because you know it's there - even if you can't see it.

My question is does this little hum reveal something that is damaging the amp? 

Apr 19, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #254 of 2,688
  As a noob I made my first misstep.  I've heard so many good things about the Mullard ECC35 (thanks (AbVolt) that I bought a pair.  Shame on me, I got them off eBay.  One of the tubes (left channel) has a low level hum.  It is inaudible at any volume that I listen at and it does not get louder as volume is raised.

Otherwise, the SQ is just friggin awesome!!  Better than the Woo upgrade Sylvania 6SN7GT and the sweet lush RCA gray glass VT-231 I rolled into a couple of weeks ago. 

I love vintage things and can deal with the imperfection.  But, it's like that little speck of wine on your rug that you hide under the ottoman.  It's annoying simply because you know it's there - even if you can't see it.

My question is does this little hum reveal something that is damaging the amp? 

Maybe try silicone tube dampers or herbie's tube dampers.

Apr 19, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #255 of 2,688
Sorry to hear about that hum. The WA22 is a fantastic amp, but it is sensitive to poor tubes. It took me quite a few months to find a complete set of tubes that worked perfectly in this amp. Now I have quite a few good sets, and the amp produces great sound with a completely black background. My recommendation is to buy another ECC35 tube. Try and find one that has the same construction as your "good" one.

I don't think it's damaging the amp - just yours and mine OCD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back