Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jul 5, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #39,736 of 42,299
i use these tubes with my WA22 some are quiet some are noisy what i did is install a ferrite choke on each of the wires on the adapters and for me it helped but didnt remove noise completely P1120870.JPG

Jul 5, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #39,737 of 42,299
I have a question about the 6F8G and use in the WA5. Is it normal to hear buzzing after installing these tubes? I only hear the buzzing when I turn up the volume a little above the halfway point. It almost sounds like I'm trying to turn an old time radio. I only hear it in the right channel. I don't normally listen at these volumes but it is a little concerning. Should I be concerned?
I run 6F8G Tung Sol round plates in my WA5-LE and no that isn't normal. Try making sure that the adapter connector on top is snug and clean all pins with electrical contact cleaner. I would also test the tubes a humming tube is usually a short or going bad. Also reverse the adapters to make sure one of the adapters isn't defective

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #39,738 of 42,299
I have same problem before with my 6FD7 on WA6SE, but 6EM7 doesn't have that weird noise.. every time I raise the volume the noise become more audible. At the moment I think my tube have problem, I tell the store I buy from, but have no real solution. Then my friend tell me is it near wifi modem, and he suggest to turn of the modem. I try but not working for me.
My WA6SE amp is nearing a wireless home phone, then I try to terminate the phone electricity and it working, all the noise disappear...
Hope this can help you to find what kind of thing make your tube noisy...

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #39,739 of 42,299
I have a question about the 6F8G and use in the WA5. Is it normal to hear buzzing after installing these tubes? I only hear the buzzing when I turn up the volume a little above the halfway point. It almost sounds like I'm trying to turn an old time radio. I only hear it in the right channel. I don't normally listen at these volumes but it is a little concerning. Should I be concerned?
I had this same issue in my WA6 with my first set of NU-6F8G tubes…they were bad tubes, which were replaced by the seller, and the noise issue was gone.

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #39,740 of 42,299
i use these tubes with my WA22 some are quiet some are noisy what i did is install a ferrite choke on each of the wires on the adapters and for me it helped but didnt remove noise completely

Excellent idea. I will have to try ferrite chokes and see how they fair.

I run 6F8G Tung Sol round plates in my WA5-LE and no that isn't normal. Try making sure that the adapter connector on top is snug and clean all pins with electrical contact cleaner. I would also test the tubes a humming tube is usually a short or going bad. Also reverse the adapters to make sure one of the adapters isn't defective

All connections are fine. Another excellent idea. I'll run some deoxit over the pins and see what happens. I've reversed the adapters and tried each tube in a different socket. The funny thing is the hum doesn't change sides and is still around 12 to 1 o'clock on the volume control.

I had this same issue in my WA6 with my first set of NU-6F8G tubes…they were bad tubes, which were replaced by the seller, and the noise issue was gone.

Thanks for all the input! At lower volumes they have no hint of noise. The 6F8Gs sound so much more detailed and full bodied than the 6SN7s. They really liven up the music. I don't think I'm going to worry about it if you are seeing the same issue.

Jul 7, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #39,743 of 42,299
If the used WA6 is marked 6DE7 in front of the driver tube sockets the amp is compatible with 6FD7 tubes according to the current Woo Audio chart. The first four digits of the serial number are the month and year the amp was built. If you are uncertain, contact Woo with the serial number and they will likely help. The new model, 2nd generation, is not likely compatible and Woo has not fully updated their site with new WA6 photos and manual... If you have a newer 1st generation WA6 you have the best version for tube rolling.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #39,744 of 42,299
If the used WA6 is marked 6DE7 in front of the driver tube sockets the amp is compatible with 6FD7 tubes according to the current Woo Audio chart. The first four digits of the serial number are the month and year the amp was built. If you are uncertain, contact Woo with the serial number and they will likely help. The new model, 2nd generation, is not likely compatible and Woo has not fully updated their site with new WA6 photos and manual... If you have a newer 1st generation WA6 you have the best version for tube rolling.
Thank you for the good information!

Jul 24, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #39,745 of 42,299
Hi all how's the Woo club doing these days seems a little slow for what used to be one of the busiest forums on the board, Any one here thinking of giving the wa33 a go I would but my pockets are not that deep these days..have fun all

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #39,746 of 42,299
Ya it's quiet *shrug*. I got Tak 300Bs for my WA5 a few weeks back. So far so good. They had some hours on them before but claimed ~ 100 hrs so they would still be breaking in if that's the case.

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #39,747 of 42,299
I bet that sounds nice I almost got the wa5 until I started pricing tubes, I have little control in my old age would have spent more on tubes than the amp cost by a long way..enjoy

Jul 25, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #39,748 of 42,299
I bet that sounds nice I almost got the wa5 until I started pricing tubes, I have little control in my old age would have spent more on tubes than the amp cost by a long way..enjoy

At my age, I'm burdened by impulses to buy more tubes. Unlike yourself, I bought the WA5. I immediately set aside the PSVane tubes and bought a set of Genelex 300B's, a pair of Brimar Rectifiers and a box full of 6SN7 tubes. I bought far more inventory than I would ever logically use. At the end of the day. I could have saved myself a ton of money and just stayed with what my current rig is. EML 520B V3's in place of 300B's, Tung Sol 6F8G's in place of 6SN7's and swapping back and forth between 596 Rectifiers and and EML 5U4G's. The path to audio joy is paved with money unfortunately.

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #39,749 of 42,299
I have enough tubes now to last a lifetime after scoring a spectacular deal last year for a box of NOS/NIB 596s... I just heard the two WA33 models and while awesome, they use different tubes than what I own so not something I would buy.

Jul 27, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #39,750 of 42,299
For those curious about WA5 with speakers, I've been super happy running an older pair of ProAc Signature 50s at more than adequate volume (knob is at 11 o'clock) and a REL Strata III sub. Sound is gorgeous. Using mostly vinyl (VPI Prime table into an EAR phono preamp) but digital is nice too. Still prefer the LCD3s for critical listening but for kicking back with missus, the Woo does a brilliant job with speakers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back