Windows 10 Finally Getting Native USB 2 Audio Support
Apr 12, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #91 of 111
  Ok I just installed Creators Update and wanted to try out the native USB Audio support immediately. So I uninstalled the TeddyPardo U2S drivers (XMOS-based device) and restarted the computer. Windows discovered the device immediately and recognized it as an XMOS device. Everything looked fine in device manager and settings and Windows said that device is working. Well, it wasn't. No audio from Roon, Youtube or any other source on computer. Any ideas? I re-installed U2S's own drivers and now everything works fine again. 

​Yggy has the same issue, but strangely the gen2 USB stuff from Schiit (Gumby) doesn't. sounds like not all class 2.0 USB implementations are the same?

Apr 14, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #93 of 111
i have audio-gd nfb-11 (2014).  according to their website, the via chip they use should support USB audio 2.0.  however, after update to CU, windows failed to install the driver automatically, and when i manually selected the "USB Audio 2.0" driver using device manager, i get the error code 10 unable to start device error.  anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

i've been using optical from my box for years but was hoping to finally be able to get back on USB.  i had no previous drivers installed.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Apr 14, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #94 of 111
I am not surprised Windows still has issues with specialized audio drivers though... They are a bit more complex in nature than your run-off-the-mill standard XMOS what-have-you interface, in many cases :D

Apr 16, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #95 of 111
  I am not surprised Windows still has issues with specialized audio drivers though... They are a bit more complex in nature than your run-off-the-mill standard XMOS what-have-you interface, in many cases :D

Maybe, it's the other way around, folks producing drivers having not been designed or updated to support Windows 10.

Apr 17, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #96 of 111
  Maybe, it's the other way around, folks producing drivers having not been designed or updated to support Windows 10.

usb audio 2.0 is a standard.  many usb dacs (including my audio-gd) work without any specialized oem driver on linux.  the fact that it doesn't on windows 10 is a microsoft issue, not a audio-gd/via issue.

Apr 17, 2017 at 7:06 AM Post #97 of 111

usb audio 2.0 is a standard.  many usb dacs (including my audio-gd) work without any specialized oem driver on linux.  the fact that it doesn't on windows 10 is a microsoft issue, not a audio-gd/via issue.

​Yes, it is a standard; but, the fact that certain drivers don't work correctly on a computer loaded with Windows 10 does not mean it's a Microsoft problem.

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #98 of 111

​Yes, it is a standard; but, the fact that certain drivers don't work correctly on a computer loaded with Windows 10 does not mean it's a Microsoft problem.

i think both you and the guy you initially responded to are misunderstanding the issue here.

hardware makers make stuff that meets the usb audio 2.0 spec.  linux (the OS) implements a generic usb audio 2.0 driver such that other "certain drivers" aren't needed.  in windows 10 CU, microsoft claims to have done the same.  however, their (windows') generic usb audio 2.0 driver does not work with many usb dacs that linux's version supports.  this is a microsoft problem, almost certainly due to the relative immaturity of their driver.  microsoft admits that some features of their driver are incomplete or experimental.  hopefully they catch up to linux's implementation soon and "certain/specialized" drivers are essentially a thing of the past, which is the entire point of this conversation.

Apr 17, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #99 of 111
Im using the native driver on Jotunheim, everything seems to work fine, but 32 bit output on Foobar does not work properly. (it does work, but weird stuff happens, it's unusable) Probably a moot point, 24 and 16 bit work fine. Testing the driver out now...

Apr 23, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #101 of 111
So far, batting zero. I must admit that I'm not an intense, must have it, Windows user. I'm doing this more out of curiosity. So I will be playing "dumb" and try to let Widows handle the DAC with zero drivers installed.

Upgraded my Windows 10 laptop to Creators Update last week. Plugged into Chord Mojo today. It immediately started to do something - a message about recognizing Mojo and a ding in the left headphone speaker. It was followed by a second message stating it had finished, and another ding. I cue up a trailer, and the sound output is a horrible, tinny, high frequency sound, coming only out of the left speaker. I tried a couple of the other USB ports and rebooting. No difference.

I found the menu for sound settings. Here it clearly states that it has not found the drivers for the Mojo. It lets me change the speaker size from small to full-range. And it lets me test the sounds - left is a lower pitched and right is a higher pitched sound. But both sounds are output from the left, and both sound similarly horrible. I also note the color shown on the Mojo is blue - the same color output when I play my 24bit @ 192kHz Norah Jones tracks. I could be wrong about the exact color. But I did not see a way to change the audio rate from the Windows menu.

I'll try with Schiit Bifrost and Grace Design m9xx later.

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #102 of 111
Did the update last night and so far no issues with the Singxer and the new Windows usbadio2.sys driver.

Apr 29, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #103 of 111
I meant to post back sooner - sorry for delay.

100% success with Grace Design m9xx and Schiit Bifrost Multibit on two Windows laptops. I did more testing on the older laptop where I have high resolution media and audio playback software (JRiver). It played correctly 44/48/96/192 sample rates. I checked on the m9xx display and verified each audio was fed correctly.

May 7, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #104 of 111
I ended up reverting back to the older CM specific driver. The windows native driver did not sound right. It was not immediately obvious, but I heard it later. Things sounded.... resampled, or something.

May 12, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #105 of 111
I noticed that too when I first got my Jotunheim with the windows driver, I put the CM driver right on after wards which every started to sound right and not odd at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back