Windows 10 Finally Getting Native USB 2 Audio Support
Feb 6, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #76 of 111
  Well, to quote some Irish guy:  Maybe Windows in general, is a jack of all trades and a master o'n none.  When and if I go to 10, I'm going to just stick to manufacturer drivers.

Honestly I'm just fed up with USB as an "audio implementation" in general. I am looking to move to AOIP soon as new (and cheaper) devices get released. I do appreciate Microsoft's honest effort to try and "simplify" USB audio though, as in the past it has been quite messy.

- InsanityOne 
tongue.gif

Feb 6, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #77 of 111

Well, to quote some Irish guy:  Maybe Windows in general, is a jack of all trades and a master o'n none.  When and if I go to 10, I'm going to just stick to manufacturer drivers.

Honestly I'm just fed up with USB as an "audio implementation" in general. I am looking to move to AOIP soon as new (and cheaper) devices get released. I do appreciate Microsoft's honest effort to try and "simplify" USB audio though, as in the past it has been quite messy.

- InsanityOne 
tongue.gif

Interesting.  Where might one find out about AOIP?

Feb 6, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #79 of 111
  Interesting.  Where might one find out about AOIP?

Here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/806827/audio-over-ip-rednet-3-16-review-aes67-sets-a-new-standard-for-computer-audio

Yeah, that thread is the place to learn. But honestly it over complicates things, a much more simple description of AOIP would basically be to say that you use ethernet (from your PC) to transmit your audio signal instead of USB. To make things even more simple, you just need a license for "Dante Virtual Soundcard", a spare RJ45 port on your PC, and a device like the Focusrite RedNet 3 / RedNet D16, or the Attero Tech unDAES-O. Then your audio chain goes: PC --> AOIP Device --> DAC. Very simple and non-complex.

It is not a "cheap" solution by any means, but the prices are comparable to some of the ultra high-end USB converters that exist on the market. Personally, I am planning on buying the unDAES-O soon. If you want more information just ask around in the AOIP thread and lets keep this thread strictly Win10 USB driver based.

- InsanityOne 
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #80 of 111

Yeah, that thread is the place to learn. But honestly it over complicates things, a much more simple description of AOIP would basically be to say that you use ethernet (from your PC) to transmit your audio signal instead of USB. To make things even more simple, you just need a license for "Dante Virtual Soundcard", a spare RJ45 port on your PC, and a device like the Focusrite RedNet 3 / RedNet D16, or the Attero Tech unDAES-O. Then your audio chain goes: PC --> AOIP Device --> DAC. Very simple and non-complex.

It is not a "cheap" solution by any means, but the prices are comparable to some of the ultra high-end USB converters that exist on the market. Personally, I am planning on buying the unDAES-O soon. If you want more information just ask around in the AOIP thread and lets keep this thread strictly Win10 USB driver based.

- InsanityOne 
biggrin.gif

Ah, well it seems things are getting "curioser and curioser" ... wish there were somewhere one could go to have it all explained, like for instance -- is there room for the Mojo in this brave new world?

Feb 6, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #82 of 111
  Ah, well it seems things are getting "curioser and curioser" ... wish there were somewhere one could go to have it all explained, like for instance -- is there room for the Mojo in this brave new world?

1. Like I said, feel free to ask any questions in the AOIP thread. The people there will answer them.

2. If you mean connecting to the Mojo from an AOIP device, then I would probably say "yes". It would be easiest from the RN3 (RedNet 3) as you could go Coax. to Coax. But you could get there from some of the other devices too. You would just need special cables and some attenuators.

Sure.
One that appeals to me: PC > Ethernet (AES67 protocol) > Monitor
The Genelec 8430 supports this:  http://www.genelec.com/studio-monitors/sam-studio-monitors/8430a-ip-sam-studio-monitor

Yes, I have heard of those Genelec monitors. Although to have a pair you would need an AES67 interface that has multiple RJ45 outputs which will possibly be expensive.

But alas, we are starting to get way off-topic for this thread.

- InsanityOne 
wink_face.gif

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:54 AM Post #85 of 111
Yes it did!
You have to uninstall your existing DAC manufacturer USB driver and re-insert the DAC and You are good to go!

Will the Creators update automatically download or is it still done manually?

Also, when using the Windows USB Class 2 driver, can sound still be output via ASIO or does it default to DS or WASAPI?

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #87 of 111
You can go to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/d4efb316-79f0-1aa1-9ef3-dcada78f3fa0/get-the-windows-10-creators-update to manual update OR wait for it to update automatically.

It is default to WASAPI from what I see from my Jriver.

Regards Wayne

Apr 12, 2017 at 1:01 AM Post #88 of 111
You can go to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/d4efb316-79f0-1aa1-9ef3-dcada78f3fa0/get-the-windows-10-creators-update to manual update OR wait for it to update automatically.

It is default to WASAPI from what I see from my Jriver.

Regards Wayne

Is the Element not capable of being USB Class 2 Audio?

Apr 12, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #90 of 111
Ok I just installed Creators Update and wanted to try out the native USB Audio support immediately. So I uninstalled the TeddyPardo U2S drivers (XMOS-based device) and restarted the computer. Windows discovered the device immediately and recognized it as an XMOS device. Everything looked fine in device manager and settings and Windows said that device is working. Well, it wasn't. No audio from Roon, Youtube or any other source on computer. Any ideas? I re-installed U2S's own drivers and now everything works fine again. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back