Which closed headphone has the least screaming highs
Jun 20, 2017 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

default username

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a new closed headphone and it probably comes down to 2 models. My old one is broken, it was the Sennheiser hd250 linear 2. There seem to be more than 10 different sounding hd250's. Mine has a lot of screaming highs and not so much bass. In 1996 I noticed almost all closed headphones have a lot of highs, sibilance.

I like the sound of the hd650 but I guess that sound is not possible in a closed version. There is a frequency graph at headroom from the beyerdynamic custom pro one but not of the custom studio, the company does not give the frequency graphs, they say in an email.

Which closed headphone has the least screaming highs? Beyerdynamic dt770 pro 80 ohm or the beyerdynamic custom studio.

Jun 21, 2017 at 12:56 AM Post #2 of 3
I am looking for a new closed headphone and it probably comes down to 2 models. My old one is broken, it was the Sennheiser hd250 linear 2. There seem to be more than 10 different sounding hd250's. Mine has a lot of screaming highs and not so much bass. In 1996 I noticed almost all closed headphones have a lot of highs, sibilance.

I like the sound of the hd650 but I guess that sound is not possible in a closed version. There is a frequency graph at headroom from the beyerdynamic custom pro one but not of the custom studio, the company does not give the frequency graphs, they say in an email.

Which closed headphone has the least screaming highs? Beyerdynamic dt770 pro 80 ohm or the beyerdynamic custom studio.
If you are looking for highs that are not sibilant or harsh, I would recommend that you consider mfr's other than Beyerdynamic, which is really known for its peaky treble presentation across most of its models. SoundMAGIC HP151 would be a nice option, as would the M40x..

Jun 21, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #3 of 3
IMO neither the Sony MDR Z7 nor the Shure SRH 1540 - for just 2 examples - have anything
even approaching "screaming" high ends. The Sony in particular is actually quite toned down
in that regard.
Even the much more wallet friendly - and very popular - Audio Technica ATH-M50X
doesn't burn on top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back