Which Amp for my 250 OHM headphones?
Jun 26, 2017 at 4:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Tadis

New Head-Fier
Need advice regarding a headphone amp.

I am using Alesis M1Active 520USB studio monitors which are connected to my PC via USB. That's for gaming, watching YouTube, TV series and movies online. And, late at night, I connect a headset to the studio monitors via the 6.35mm (1/4") connector.

But recently I bought new headphones - Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm. And it feels like there is some sound quality loss when using those headphones. I believe I need an amp.

I am totally ignorant on the subject and it looks like it is a rather complicated subject so I will just ask here :)

Basically, which amp should I get and what set up is best for my situation? Should I be getting an amp that connects to the back of the PC or to the studio monitors or USB? I don't want to spend lots of money but it has to be good enough for the job.

All advice will be welcome.

Jun 26, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #2 of 33
for about $100 I'd get a Behringer UCA 202 with a Bravo Audio Hybrid Tube, you have your pick of model numbers as they are each around $60 and differ in features

I use a simmillar set up with my DT 990 and I enjoyed it!

Jun 26, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #4 of 33
for about $100 I'd get a Behringer UCA 202 with a Bravo Audio Hybrid Tube

I was hoping for something nicer looking and all black. I don't want it to clutter my desk or clash with what's already on it.

If you would prefer to go solid state, you should check out a Magni 2--$99. Very solid.

That Magni looks very nice but it looks like I will also need a separate DAC. I was hoping for one box to do it all.

Any other suggestions? A nice looking black box ideally for less than $150 would be ideal.

Jun 26, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #5 of 33
Jun 26, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #6 of 33
I was hoping for something nicer looking and all black. I don't want it to clutter my desk or clash with what's already on it.

That Magni looks very nice but it looks like I will also need a separate DAC. I was hoping for one box to do it all.

Any other suggestions? A nice looking black box ideally for less than $150 would be ideal.
Schiit Fulla 2 could potentially do the trick. $99.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #7 of 33

I should add, with the Fulla, you are not going to have a ton of power at 250 ohms--just fyi. The Magni would be better, then get a Modi later down the road. Or the Ocean.

Jun 26, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #8 of 33
I should add, with the Fulla, you are not going to have a ton of power at 250 ohms--just fyi. The Magni would be better, then get a Modi later down the road. Or the Ocean.
I have the original Schiit Fulla and it comes with a decently powerful headphone amplifier, fairly easy for it to drive my 250-Ohm Beyer headphones.
Assume the Fulla 2 is just as powerful.
And the Thread starter can also connect it to the studio monitors.

Nothing wrong with getting the Modi/Magni, if one is willing to budget for it.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #9 of 33
it feels like there is some sound quality loss when using those headphones. I believe I need an amp.
What do you think you are missing with DT990s?

Jun 27, 2017 at 3:54 AM Post #11 of 33
I think sound should be stronger and fuller. I don't know anything about sounds etc but it just doesn't feel quite right. And on the Alesis forums they said those monitors are good for up to 100 Ohm headphones.
Then you may wanna check JDS labs Objective 2 & ODAC rev B.

Jun 27, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #12 of 33
In Fulla 2 specs it says output impedance is 0.5 ohms? Shouldn't I be looking for something with an output impedance of 250 ohms?

Since my monitors are USB I take it they have their own DAC and Amp just the Amp is not powerful enough? So if I bought https://www.amazon.com/Duttek-6-35m...8-3&keywords=6.3+stereo+male+to+two+rca+males I could just use Magni 2 connected direct to my monitors? I think I'm starting to wrap my head rounds this. Yesterday I was clueless...

My biggest problem is ending up with a cluttered desk - a cable from the front of the monitors running to another Amp box... it's not going to look good.

What about something that could be fitted in my computer case? Maybe an amp that fits in the 5.25" DVD drive bay and a DAC that goes in a PCI slot and connect the two together? I'll start googling this now myself but all advise will be welcome.

Jun 27, 2017 at 4:23 AM Post #13 of 33
okay, a quick google tells me there is a reason that a computer case amp/dac is not used - interferences etc.

JDS labs Objective 2 & ODAC rev B

That looks good, I could customise it to have Ac in the back, add RCA output for normal speakers later. Pricey though. Will have to sleep on this. Might just exchange my 250 ohm headphones for the 32 ohm. I didn't know they were too strong for my studio monitors when I bought them but now I just want that better sound and don't want to give them up :/

Jun 27, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #14 of 33
Might just exchange my 250 ohm headphones for the 32 ohm.
Considering you are on a tight budget, yes, that's the best solution for you.

Jun 27, 2017 at 4:47 AM Post #15 of 33
Considering you are on a tight budget, yes, that's the best solution for you

It's kind of budget versus what I need versus other things I could be spending that money on...

Just had a look at the low ohm headphones and they all seem to be closed back. It's just not going to be as good...

I think I will be going with either Schiit or JDS Labs amp/dac solutions. Will sleep on it and make a decision then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back