What's the best amp for HD800
Sep 12, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #511 of 680
  I'm looking to get a new cheap SS amp for my hd800's. Used to use a bottlehead crack but i didn't like being a tube amp the random noises/glitches when i was idling. Wondering if i should get a schiit vali or magni 2 uber or what else around that price would do?

Cheers

Sorry, but the low-end starter Schitt Amps that you mention would be a tremendous disservice to the HD800! If you're stuck on Schitt products, perhaps the Mjolnir 2 or better yet the Ragnarok Amp.  For my HD800 I'm currently using an EHHA hybrid amp, but still prefer my SAC KH-1000 (also designed for my AKG K-1000).  The general rule when purchasing a suitable amp, is that (unless a DIY kit) the price should approximate the value of the headphone.  So with the HD800 you should be looking at more high-end amps in the $1000 to $1500 range .... and we still haven't discussed a suitable DAC (or amp with built-in DAC).  .My current DAC is the somewhat dated Music Fidelity upsampling M1 DAC which when new was around $999, but can be had these days used for half that.

Sep 12, 2016 at 1:22 AM Post #512 of 680
Sorry but the little Vali 2 does a very good job to drive the hd800 and it would be my first choice if I had to downgrade or to build a secondary hd800 rig. My 2cents.

Sep 12, 2016 at 1:29 AM Post #513 of 680
Using a Cambridge dac magic plus for the dac. Not really stuck on schiit products but heard they're good value. I'm in Australia so a lot of the ones listed on here from boutique places are hard for me to find. How does the chord mojo work for it? I'm not sure how well a portable solution would work in the long run if I had it running all the time at home though.

Sep 12, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #514 of 680
Sorry but the little Vali 2 does a very good job to drive the hd800 and it would be my first choice if I had to downgrade or to build a secondary hd800 rig. My 2cents.

I gladly welcome your 2 cents.  I also noted you have listed my two headphone faves - the HD800 and the electrostatic HE 60
smily_headphones1.gif

How are you enjoying Sennheiser's HE 60? (this is my number 1 fave as driven by my KGSS)
Peace   -   Bryan

Sep 12, 2016 at 2:48 AM Post #515 of 680
@charliex : Yea I definitely enjoy both :) 

Sep 30, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #516 of 680
Hello nephilim32. I finally got the  Burson Soloist MK2. I also plan for a tube sound so am going ahead ordering the WA6 with Sophia Princess upgrade tubes along with drive upgrades in a months time or perhaps in christmas.. In fact all woo amps are excellent. I am glad your shopping spree of CDS keeps you involved and am sure the WA 8 will bring big smiles and excitement.

Haha I have that same FiiO L-16 mini to mini cable. :)
Congrats man. Looks absolutely great. You certainly have a great amp to drive those HD 800's. MK 2 looks very streamlined. Very nice.
The mojo used primarily as a DAC I hear is a good deal. :)
Also. Just to give you an update on the precious quest to grab that awesome tube amp. The WA 8 may have to wait till February of next year. Had to lend my dad some coin. Family comes first. What can I do. :)
Anyway. Enjoy the rig.
Oh one more thing, does the mojo's DAC by pass the DAC inside other other players like an I pod for on the go listening?

Thanks in advance, my friend.

Oct 1, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #517 of 680
Haha I have that same FiiO L-16 mini to mini cable.
smily_headphones1.gif

Congrats man. Looks absolutely great. You certainly have a great amp to drive those HD 800's. MK 2 looks very streamlined. Very nice.
The mojo used primarily as a DAC I hear is a good deal.
smily_headphones1.gif

Also. Just to give you an update on the precious quest to grab that awesome tube amp. The WA 8 may have to wait till February of next year. Had to lend my dad some coin. Family comes first. What can I do.
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway. Enjoy the rig.
Oh one more thing, does the mojo's DAC by pass the DAC inside other other players like an I pod for on the go listening?

Thanks in advance, my friend.

Yes The Mojo bypass the dac in other players. And yes Mojo is a step above Arcam
biggrin.gif
 Now plan to buy the WA6 by year end. Enjoy your self. and tks for your inputs cheers

Nov 13, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #519 of 680
ECP Audio is coming out with several new amps and I highly recommended them.  Price isn't cheap but they are all excellence sounding.  

Nov 14, 2016 at 6:19 AM Post #520 of 680
  Has anybody tried the HD800 with the Liquid Gold Amp and would you recommend them. I like my sound neutral, wide soundstage, but also a little bit of musicality and warmth, but not too much.

I've only owned two Cavalli amps and both are in the Cavalli lower price range so can't say for sure for the Gold, but I believe all Cavalli amps are great match with the HD800.

Nov 14, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #521 of 680
Fellows need an advise... recently i got hd800 and using fiio x7 as dac/amp and use fiio k5 desktop amp...this is my first setup and not sure if i am getting enough power or do i need to upgrade amp...please advise....

Nov 14, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #522 of 680
  Fellows need an advise... recently i got hd800 and using fiio x7 as dac/amp and use fiio k5 desktop amp...this is my first setup and not sure if i am getting enough power or do i need to upgrade amp...please advise....

If you can get enough volume and can live with your current setup for some time until you can afford better amp, then wait.
If you're ready to buy new amp, then do it.

Nov 14, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #523 of 680
  If you can get enough volume and can live with your current setup for some time until you can afford better amp, then wait.
If you're ready to buy new amp, then do it.

Thanks for quick response... i can live it for few days but feels like i am missing something( i own serveral headphones and thought this will be huge upgrade) ..
.what would be amp i need to be looking for so i can keep an eye on it....anything between 200-400$ and hope that improves the sound...

Nov 14, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #524 of 680
  Thanks for quick response... i can live it for few days but feels like i am missing something( i own serveral headphones and thought this will be huge upgrade) ..
.what would be amp i need to be looking for so i can keep an eye on it....anything between 200-400$ and hope that improves the sound...

Yeah, I think you're missing the impact and kicks on the lower frequencies, mostly.
I know that feeling since when I first listened to my HD800, I thought they sounded thin. I survived for almost a year though, 'cause I mostly listen to instrumentals or bass light songs.
Only after I started venturing into Cavalli amps (Liquid Carbon & Crimson to be precise) did I realize I had a big grin on my face.

Bottlehead Crack is probably the most recommended thing in that price range. Else, Valhalla 2. 
Or raise your budget a bit and get a used Liquid Carbon 1.0 (just be careful with em tho).

Nov 14, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #525 of 680
  Yeah, I think you're missing the impact and kicks on the lower frequencies, mostly.
I know that feeling since when I first listened to my HD800, I thought they sounded thin. I survived for almost a year though, 'cause I mostly listen to instrumentals or bass light songs.
Only after I started venturing into Cavalli amps (Liquid Carbon & Crimson to be precise) did I realize I had a big grin on my face.

Bottlehead Crack is probably the most recommended thing in that price range. Else, Valhalla 2. 
Or raise your budget a bit and get a used Liquid Carbon 1.0 (just be careful with em tho).

Thanks..i will start looking for the amps you have suggested....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back