What your significant other said about your audio addiction...
Jul 18, 2017 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

BunnyNamedCraig

Formerly known as MTMECraig/bunnynamedfrank
We all heard how the significant other feels about our audio addiction. Now it's time to share the abuse!

Feel free to tell a story, share their quote, or whatever you feel to get your idea across. This is like audiophile's anonymous....

To start it off, I'll tell the story that started the audio feud with me.

years ago this happened...

I told my girlfriend that I was going to get a 5.1 system for the living room. She said she was fine with it (I was surprised). I ended up getting a classic system that has the 2 floor standings in the front.

Anyways I ordered the system online and was waiting for it to arrive. The one day we went to BB and I ran into the same set up. I told her "hey babe these are the same speakers I'm getting". She looked at the 2 tall floor standing speakers and her jaw dropped and she just stood there. I laughed and asked "what's wrong?" She replied "I thought that you were going to get those little speakers that fit into the corners of the wall...." what I wanted to say then was "yeah, AS IF!!!" but I proceeded to tell her (like any self respecting audiophile would) that you normally can't achieve the best sound out of those, sooooo that's why I NEED to get the big dogs.

Now time has passed and she isn't as bothered by the floor standing speakers. It's the wire spaghetti behind the tv that gets her goat...
IMG_7372.JPG
:)

I also want to comment that I "cleaned up" the back of the tv, and this is what it looks like now... I can't mentally take cleaning it up any more gang!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 21, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #3 of 22
I live on my own on the Scottish moors, so no worries over the other half.You think thats a jumble of cables, you should see mine!. I would post a picture, but at 77 years of age, no chance!.
Lol! Be careful you don't start a fire! You made me think of the movie "a Christmas Story" where the father has like 12 plugs into a receptacle. You ever watch that?

Jul 21, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #5 of 22
Tell you what... my wife has been pretty understanding since the time she was my girlfriend. However... now that I have more headphones than she can count, if she saw me buying another headphone from another company, when we're trying to save up for our honeymoon...

Let's just say, she is the director at a murder mystery dinner theater. She's had practice and inspiration! I'd be lucky if she just shouted "WHAT?!?!?"

Jul 23, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #6 of 22
Actual quotes from conversations:

Omg that's insane!
You are crazy! [X] grand for headphones!
You are insane!!!!!!!!!!!
Are you crazyyyyyyy
No way
No way
No
You and your [X] dollar headphones lol
Wow. Things I learn when speaking to you lol
I have to save up I guess! I've been listening to music the wrong way for years!

Aug 2, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #9 of 22
I schlepped the huge vintage Technics SB-6000 speakers home, set everything up and proceeded to listen to music. Then she came home. I noticed her mouth moving, arms flailing and spit flying - but hey, I couldn't hear a single thing. So I closed my eyes.

2w5q83r.png

Joking of course. First words where: "Where do you want to put those giant things?" Second words where: "Oh, that is much better than the TV speakers!". Today she loves them, and how they integrate into the living room.

Aug 14, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #12 of 22
Initially, my wife (girlfriend then) thought I was nuts, and spending $100 on a pair of IEMs was insane.

That was 6 years ago. Since then, I've tried convincing her of the merits of top-notch sound.

Today, she's sporting the following rig: AK70 > Mojo > Black Widow > NT6 custom

Yeah, let's just say things got a little out of hand. :sweat_smile:

Aug 14, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #13 of 22
Initially, my wife (girlfriend then) thought I was nuts, and spending $100 on a pair of IEMs was insane.

That was 6 years ago. Since then, I've tried convincing her of the merits of top-notch sound.

Today, she's sporting the following rig: AK70 > Mojo > Black Widow > NT6 custom

Yeah, let's just say things got a little out of hand. :sweat_smile:
First off I'm a huge Donnie Darko fan... you see they released a 4K version a couple a couple months ago?

I think your wife's audio rig is pretty sweet!! I don't even show my gf stuff anymore... she is pretty much over it ha. BUT I will say that she did help me insert the little rubber feet into my ears that come with the isine20's.... she took a picture for me so I could see how they look inside my ear. Pretty neat!!IMG_7628.JPG
I figured this thread was random enough so why not show a huge picture of my ear...

Aug 14, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #14 of 22
My girlfriend first heard my SE846s, as that's what I started out with 2 years ago. She was impressed by them, but not so much with the price tag. She was happy for me that I found something from which I get so much joy, so she basically left it at "they sound very good" – I'm glad you're happy with them."

Fast forward a year, I get a pair of JH 13v2s and JH Roxannes (both customs). In asking for her opinion on getting them in the months leading up to that, she said she already knew I was crazy and wasn't going to try to argue it. And so they came in September of 2016.

Not one ear in my entire family fits either side of my CIEMs. That's 4 blood relatives and not one even-close-to good fit. Funnily enough, my girlfriend's ears are a near-perfect (if not perfect) match for my custom IEMs (like, if she got her ear impressions done and sent them in, I wouldn't be surprised if my shell matched hers exactly). So she gets to enjoy them to their fullest potential. She is extremely impressed with them, still can't see herself chalking up close to as much money for earphones (although she did end up buying herself a pair of special edition white SE215s and enjoys them very much), and let's me do my thing.

Let's just say she's basically accepted this expensive hobby of mine at this point. If those two things (accepting the hobby and being a perfect match for my CIEMs) aren't a sign that she's a keeper, I don't know what is. haha

Aug 20, 2017 at 5:19 AM Post #15 of 22
First off I'm a huge Donnie Darko fan... you see they released a 4K version a couple a couple months ago?

I think your wife's audio rig is pretty sweet!! I don't even show my gf stuff anymore... she is pretty much over it ha. BUT I will say that she did help me insert the little rubber feet into my ears that come with the isine20's.... she took a picture for me so I could see how they look inside my ear. Pretty neat!!
I figured this thread was random enough so why not show a huge picture of my ear...
Donnie Darko is my all-time favorite movie! Shame I don't have a 4k screen/TV right now, but I'll definitely purchase the 4k version for future use. :wink:

Yeah, my wife's quite addicted to high-quality sound now. Which is, in a way, a good thing, since she can easily relate to the stuff that I talk about (all the time). To non-audiophiles, the topics that come out of my mouth might sound like mumbo jumbo to them. The bad thing is... where's the money going?! :joy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back