What DIY speakers should I build?
Nov 25, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #16 of 38
I can't think of any off hand, but pay a visit to the Linkwitz Lab website and read up on the Phoenix and Orion. Not in your price range, but they're both open baffle and there's plenty of good reading there.

You might take an interest in the Pluto. If you want to stretch your budget :)evil:), they can be built for $600-$700. Keep in mind that this includes the built-in amplifiers for them.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention Troels Gravesen. Google him and read through his website. I don't remember if he has an open baffle project, but you'll find a whole lot of interesting projects. I don't need another pair of speakers, but the Poor Man's Strad has been tempting me for awhile.

Nov 25, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #17 of 38
Keep in mind, while speakers in general need good positioning and acoustics..an open baffle this is even more critical...but once you have them in place..by god will you love the sound.

Nov 25, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #18 of 38
Very good sounding and low budget and easy build are Needles:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/47403-cyburgs-needle-tangband-w3-871s.html
sound good with cheap Visaton FRS8, later you can upgrade to Tangband or other, there are many in second half of thread.
I built pair with plywood, instead of MDF.

Nov 25, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #19 of 38

Quote:
I can't think of any off hand, but pay a visit to the Linkwitz Lab website and read up on the Phoenix and Orion. Not in your price range, but they're both open baffle and there's plenty of good reading there.

You might take an interest in the Pluto. If you want to stretch your budget (
evil_smiley.gif
), they can be built for $600-$700. Keep in mind that this includes the built-in amplifiers for them.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention Troels Gravesen. Google him and read through his website. I don't remember if he has an open baffle project, but you'll find a whole lot of interesting projects. I don't need another pair of speakers, but the Poor Man's Strad has been tempting me for awhile.

You are helpful in the worst way...

Quote:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/47403-cyburgs-needle-tangband-w3-871s.html
sound good with cheap Visaton FRS8, later you can upgrade to Tangband or other, there are many in second half of thread.

I saw that. My only concern is isn't that a bit more difficult as far as woodwork goes? The Voigt cabinet seems to be simpler to construct. By all mean correct me if I'm wrong for I like that design more than the Voigt.

Also, what are you supposed to do with old DIY speakers when you build another set? How would one sell them?

Nov 25, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #20 of 38

Quote:
I have no (useful) tools and don't know how to read a schematic. I am here though, which puts me lightyears ahead of other teenagers. 
biggrin.gif

Wait: You have no useful tools and intend to build anything made of wood? Sir, you can't build speakers with determination. Not precisely, anyway.

Take it from the guy whose full range desktop speakers became a long-term project because he didn't have the tools or the time.

Also, treading new ground: what about a fleawatt Class D amp? I'm thinking the Scythe Kama Bay amps. 8 watts into 8ohms for 50 odd. Basically the spiritual successor to the Sonic Impact T-amps.

Nov 25, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #21 of 38

Quote:
I saw that. My only concern is isn't that a bit more difficult as far as woodwork goes? The Voigt cabinet seems to be simpler to construct. By all mean correct me if I'm wrong for I like that design more than the Voigt.

Also, what are you supposed to do with old DIY speakers when you build another set? How would one sell them?

Well...if you don't have the proper tools, you can't make anything, unless you're really determined and whittle out holes with a screwdriver or something.

Give the speakers to family members or friends. You won't make too much money by selling them. You would maybe sell the speakers for the price of the drivers. If you're lucky and they look nice.

Nov 26, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #24 of 38
You don't have to buy tools to build speakers. Home Depot and other places will rent them, which is considerably cheaper than buying.

You can also find a cabinet shop or woodworking/lumber store that will make the cuts for you. The shop in use in Arizona charges $2 a cut if I buy the material from them. So even if I need 20 cuts, that's only $40. They have really nice equipment, too, and the guy who does the work is spot-on. He can do it a lot faster and more accurately than I can.

Nov 26, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #25 of 38

Quote:
Is eight watts really enough to "power" them?

8w is too much for most single driver speakers. if you are planning to take these to school take care to install some sort of limiter to reduce the odds of cone destructionation during a late hours party when the music just keeps getting louder... 

Nov 26, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #26 of 38

Quote:
What tools will I need? I ask this because my $17 Cmoy has cost almost $100 by now...

Is eight watts really enough to "power" them?

Considering that many of the people who build these speakers also use fleawatt tube amps like 2A3's or 300B's in SET which can only really do 5 watts into 8 ohms, and also considering the space you'll be using them in (15' x 9' ) I'd say yes, 8 watts should do it if you don't expect them to shake your windows. Not like full range speakers can shake your windows anyway.

Quote:
You don't have to buy tools to build speakers. Home Depot and other places will rent them, which is considerably cheaper than buying. You can also find a cabinet shop or woodworking/lumber store that will make the cuts for you. The shop in use in Arizona charges $2 a cut if I buy the material from them. So even if I need 20 cuts, that's only $40. They have really nice equipment, too, and the guy who does the work is spot-on. He can do it a lot faster and more accurately than I can.

This is a great idea, Uncle Erik. I need a table saw to finish my project and this sound like a great way to get access to the gear that I need.

Nikongod says you can't party with a full range speaker. He's right, except that you could have an amazing and quiet tea party. 

Nov 26, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #27 of 38

Quote:
You don't have to buy tools to build speakers. Home Depot and other places will rent them, which is considerably cheaper than buying.

You can also find a cabinet shop or woodworking/lumber store that will make the cuts for you. The shop in use in Arizona charges $2 a cut if I buy the material from them. So even if I need 20 cuts, that's only $40. They have really nice equipment, too, and the guy who does the work is spot-on. He can do it a lot faster and more accurately than I can.

This seems to be a good idea. I think I may have a lumber store a few miles out from me, I'll call and ask.

Also what is the listening experience like with, say the Voigt Pipes? You guys are saying that it is not very powerful but can you still feel the sound like you would with any other speaker?

Nov 26, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #28 of 38

Quote:
Quote:

Needles are very easy to build. I have low woodworking skills too.

I do it exactly what Uncle Erik say:

I buy Baltic Birch plywood in place, where are good cutting service, they cut pieces exactly from Cyburg's plan. B.T.W. large part of high quality Baltic Birch are made here in Latvia, one of three Baltic states
smily_headphones1.gif

Then I buy 1 l PVA glue and 5 cheapest clamps. Each speaker take 1 afternoon, with only 5 clamps I can glue only 1 or 2 panels at a time, and glue each next after 1.5-2 hours.

Only real "woodwork" was cutting wholes for speakers and connector blocks.

Yes, and then you need cheapest synthetic pillow for stuffing and eight screws for drivers.
Thats it.

Dec 4, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #29 of 38
I am sure about the feasibility of floor standers in my current situation. The Needles look great but I lack really any room.
Are there decent bookshelf speakers that put out plenty of sound and bass? I may have asked this before but I am Googling to really no avail. There are no designs that appeal to me like the Needles.
I may still build the Needles, I just felt I need to confirm there were no alternatives. 

Also, what DIY amp would you guys recommend for the Needles? I am in the process of building my Cmoy (soldering gear came in finally!) so I have minimal (if that) experience. 

Dec 4, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #30 of 38
Full range drivers and bass are incomparable. It is physically impossible for a small speaker to produce any reasonable bass. If you want bass, get a sub. If you want the full-range single driver sound, you need to give up extension -- whether that be in the high frequencies or into the lower frequencies.

Adding a sub is hard. To get a sub that can keep up with the music is difficult. Sealed or open-baffle subs are usually considered "fast" and "musical" but they also trade extension into the lower frequencies.

Hate to break it to you.

That and building a pair of speakers on top of figuring out what DIY amp to build is gonna turn your project into a solid brick of time-killing, caution-filled mess that tends to boggle the mind.
Save yourself the pain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back