Westone W80
Jul 17, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #766 of 1,446
yeah, this one or the one without flexible earhooks. But as I mentioned before, the G2 (or Epic/G2) with in-line remote sounds not too far off. I know, there is some confusion with that in-line remote cable and how to call it, and I'm sorry for being a bit inconsistent in some of my reviews referring to it.
Haha thanks twister!! You are always very helpful!
Btw, what are the generic character difference among cables:
OCC
OFC
bronze plated silver
bronze + silver
pure silver
silver plated gold

Thank you!

Jul 17, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #767 of 1,446
Haha thanks twister!! You are always very helpful!
Btw, what are the generic character difference among cables:
OCC
OFC
bronze plated silver
bronze + silver
pure silver
silver plated gold

Thank you!

I think it will make sense to continue with a cable related discussion in Nic's thread, here: https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/h...ressions-pics-comparisons-and-reviews.804952/ , where there are more people who can share their experience about the cables. Plus, it has a ton of info on the first page which can answer many of your questions :wink: Btw, I think you meant "copper" not bronze :wink:

Jul 17, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #768 of 1,446
I think it will make sense to continue with a cable related discussion in Nic's thread, here: https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/h...ressions-pics-comparisons-and-reviews.804952/ , where there are more people who can share their experience about the cables. Plus, it has a ton of info on the first page which can answer many of your questions :wink: Btw, I think you meant "copper" not bronze :wink:
Great! Thank you Twister, I will read that thread hah. True, true. It should be copper. See, I learn english better throughout this thread: "anymore" vs "any more" and "copper" vs "bronze". Thank you!

Jul 19, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #769 of 1,446
Just got the EPIC cable. I would really want to say thank you to Westone that they have made such a great IEM. I was listen to Smetana's Moldau closing my eyes and I wowed during the middle. This is the kind of open-ear headphone sound that I want. The Westone W80 is absolutely amazing, stunning and a piece of art to my ear. It is just that great.

Jul 22, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #770 of 1,446
For some weeks I am enjoying the W80, I really like the sound and scales so good with different sources. My favorite pairing is in balanced mode with my Ultima SP1000, the soundstage, detail retrieval, but at the same time not fatiguing is really amazing for this IEMs

Jul 22, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #771 of 1,446
For some weeks I am enjoying the W80, I really like the sound and scales so good with different sources. My favorite pairing is in balanced mode with my Ultima SP1000, the soundstage, detail retrieval, but at the same time not fatiguing is really amazing for this IEMs

It has been mentioned in a few interviews with Cartwright brothers (who design and tune Westone IEMs), they are fans of A&K DAPs and often use it for final sound check and fine-tuning of drivers. So, no surprises here :)

What other DAPs did you use with W80, and how does it compares to SP1000? I haven't heard this latest A&K dap yet, probably will at Canjam NYC which is too far away.

Jul 22, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #772 of 1,446
It has been mentioned in a few interviews with Cartwright brothers (who design and tune Westone IEMs), they are fans of A&K DAPs and often use it for final sound check and fine-tuning of drivers. So, no surprises here :)

What other DAPs did you use with W80, and how does it compares to SP1000? I haven't heard this latest A&K dap yet, probably will at Canjam NYC which is too far away.

Didn't know about the tuning with AK, now wonder it pairs so well :) I tried with the WM1Z, DX200 and Sony PHA3, by far the best pairing is with the SP1000.

It has become my favorite IEM, for several years it was the K10u, but lately I am preferring more warm, less bright signature. Also tried the Encore, and while more detailed than the K10 its even more bright, more 6k-8k emphasis. What I like about the W80 is that it fits my desired signature with no need of equalization.

I am curious to try someday the KSE1500 (I don't like the idea of the external amp), anyone compared it to the W80?

Jul 22, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #773 of 1,446
Didn't know about the tuning with AK, now wonder it pairs so well :) I tried with the WM1Z, DX200 and Sony PHA3, by far the best pairing is with the SP1000.

It has become my favorite IEM, for several years it was the K10u, but lately I am preferring more warm, less bright signature. Also tried the Encore, and while more detailed than the K10 its even more bright, more 6k-8k emphasis. What I like about the W80 is that it fits my desired signature with no need of equalization.

I am curious to try someday the KSE1500 (I don't like the idea of the external amp), anyone compared it to the W80?

Agree, the original K10 (I have K10UA) sits right in the middle between smoother Katana and brighter Encore. Every time I bring up U18, people tell me to check out KSE1500 which I haven't heard yet, but carrying an external amp pack just kills the whole idea of portability for me. Still, hope to hear it one day. I guess, also adding to the list W80 / SP1000 pair up :wink:

Jul 25, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #774 of 1,446

I love this pair too. I'm using TAKUMI 2.5, what's your update cables?

Jul 25, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #775 of 1,446
Agree, the original K10 (I have K10UA) sits right in the middle between smoother Katana and brighter Encore. Every time I bring up U18, people tell me to check out KSE1500 which I haven't heard yet, but carrying an external amp pack just kills the whole idea of portability for me. Still, hope to hear it one day. I guess, also adding to the list W80 / SP1000 pair up :wink:
Honestly, I was not overly impressed with the KSE1500. I think the U/A18 is more exciting, plus easier to drive of course. But of course it comes down to preference, as always.

Heard the W80 at Canjam and I quite enjoyed it. It's warm, but not overly so. There's a very nice balance with the clarity in its upper mids. Also, is there a dedicated thread for the ES80 or is it mixed in here..?

Jul 25, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #776 of 1,446
Honestly, I was not overly impressed with the KSE1500. I think the U/A18 is more exciting, plus easier to drive of course. But of course it comes down to preference, as always.

Heard the W80 at Canjam and I quite enjoyed it. It's warm, but not overly so. There's a very nice balance with the clarity in its upper mids. Also, is there a dedicated thread for the ES80 or is it mixed in here..?

Hey Nic! Good question, bud, regarding a dedicated ES80 thread. The problem, similar to W60 vs ES60, many people assume ES model is CIEM version of W model and we end up talking about it in corresponding W thread. It's good for comparison and to let people know these are NOT the same (same drivers with a different tuning), but it gets confusing. So, no dedicated ES80 thread yet. Do you want to kick start it? :wink: I'm sure many would love to hear your impressions about ES80, and I will chime in as well :D

Jul 25, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #777 of 1,446
Hey Nic! Good question, bud, regarding a dedicated ES80 thread. The problem, similar to W60 vs ES60, many people assume ES model is CIEM version of W model and we end up talking about it in corresponding W thread. It's good for comparison and to let people know these are NOT the same (same drivers with a different tuning), but it gets confusing. So, no dedicated ES80 thread yet. Do you want to kick start it? :wink: I'm sure many would love to hear your impressions about ES80, and I will chime in as well :D
Ah I understand. I guess there would probably also not be enough activity to fuel the ES80 thread by itself as well, so it's better to combine.You'll need to rely on Alex for more detailed comparisons between ES80 and W80 as I only tested W80 briefly at Canjam, so it's a shaky impression.

But the ES80 is a really excellent ciem, providing a true hi-fi experience in the positive sense of the word - you really get the feeling of top tier performance. It's a more technical tuning than the W80, focusing on resolution and separation. It provides a very clean sound; the instruments and vocals might sound leaner than W80 for example, but this in turn creates a lot of space on the stage, and accordingly, the separation is fantastic. The imaging is very precise, so the overall image feels very solid. It's a quick and articulate sound, but still has a smooth and slightly warm tonality, so it isn't harsh by any means. Looking forward to spending more time with it later on.

Jul 26, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #779 of 1,446
I am using the ALO Reference 8, balanced 2.5mm. And also sometimes on the go, for practical purposes, the wireless westone bluetooth cable with APTX codex
How is the westone bluetooth cable paring with iphone? Is the sound bearable? Also is it made of rubber like the stock mic cable? will it be hard to wear it on? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back