Westone W80
Jun 11, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #676 of 1,446
The better sound on BAL ref8 maybe due to the lower impedance of BAL port in the aKs?? (the clarity, soundstage, with the bass i agree, the problem was the tips)
I like the sound signature of the Westones, i have the W40 and W60 too
But i want a better and most comfortable seal, and i can't use foam tips (they cause me itch)....then i think in the custom solution and ES80 comes to my mind...
A neutral tuned sound it's no a problem since i have warmish sources, the excessive treble is a problem for me, if the ES80 is not a treble-oriented CIEM maybe i like it...
Do you listen the ES80 with AK120II??, that maybe gives me an idea of how it sounds with my DAPs

Very good point, back when I tested ak240 (not SS but a regular version) it sounded nearly identical to ak120ii (the same DAC chipset and similar amp). So, I just did test ak120ii and ES80 and found a great synergy. The tonality is very balanced, you get a little more body (sounds more musical) and you get more sub-bass rumble. I know that Karl Cartwright (the main sound designer at Westone Labs) uses a&k daps as one of his sources for tuning. So, no surprise here :wink: Btw, ES80 bass scales up very nicely with EQ, and especially good with Cowon daps where you can use JetEffect.

Jun 11, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #677 of 1,446
How tall are you? 1.2m (48in) is a standard cable length, 52in is an alternative for taller people (I assume), but I never seen anything longer. Another option would be to ask one of the custom cable companies to build you one. Where did you get 64in replacement from? If they don't last for too long, it's probably some cheap DIY cable or you need longer than 64in since the reason it pops out because you put strain on the cable. Custom cable company can build you a cable of any length, but quality cables will cost you hundreds of dollars.

I would try an extension cable. There are plenty of $5 3.5mm extension cables on amazon or ebay, the only problem is they are too long. Shorter extension cable, since you mix'n'match the wires and have some reflection losses at the connector joint, is preferable. I see Penon has 1m audiophile extension cable here: http://penonaudio.com/3.5 mm-Male-to-Female but it's $30.

Here is a thing, maybe try one of those cheap cables and compare the sound quality with and without extension. If you don't hear the difference, then you are done!
Westone offers
How tall are you? 1.2m (48in) is a standard cable length, 52in is an alternative for taller people (I assume), but I never seen anything longer. Another option would be to ask one of the custom cable companies to build you one. Where did you get 64in replacement from? If they don't last for too long, it's probably some cheap DIY cable or you need longer than 64in since the reason it pops out because you put strain on the cable. Custom cable company can build you a cable of any length, but quality cables will cost you hundreds of dollars.

I would try an extension cable. There are plenty of $5 3.5mm extension cables on amazon or ebay, the only problem is they are too long. Shorter extension cable, since you mix'n'match the wires and have some reflection losses at the connector joint, is preferable. I see Penon has 1m audiophile extension cable here: http://penonaudio.com/3.5 mm-Male-to-Female but it's $30.

Here is a thing, maybe try one of those cheap cables and compare the sound quality with and without extension. If you don't hear the difference, then you are done!
Westone offers a 64 inch version of the 52 inch epic cable that comes standard with the w series except for the w80. https://www.westone.com/store/music...ro-replacement-cable-64-inches-black?___SID=U
I had bought 4 of these cables in the past for my w40s, and each one failed in about six months. The last pair i bought had really loose connectors, but the 3 pairs i bought before that fit around the connectors just fine. I think these are quality control issues. Also, shure earphones actually come standard with a 64 inch cable, and since i used 535s for about 3 years, i just got so used to that length. I wouldn't mind getting another 64 inch westone cable, but they have just been so unreliable for me in the past. Again, is anyone familiar with ursine audio? They are the only company i'm aware of that makes custom cables for under $100.

Jun 11, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #678 of 1,446
Westone offers

Westone offers a 64 inch version of the 52 inch epic cable that comes standard with the w series except for the w80. https://www.westone.com/store/music...ro-replacement-cable-64-inches-black?___SID=U
I had bought 4 of these cables in the past for my w40s, and each one failed in about six months. The last pair i bought had really loose connectors, but the 3 pairs i bought before that fit around the connectors just fine. I think these are quality control issues. Also, shure earphones actually come standard with a 64 inch cable, and since i used 535s for about 3 years, i just got so used to that length. I wouldn't mind getting another 64 inch westone cable, but they have just been so unreliable for me in the past. Again, is anyone familiar with ursine audio? They are the only company i'm aware of that makes custom cables for under $100.

Yeah, Westone rep who is frequent to head-fi (or at least before site overhaul :)) mentioned they recently redesigned their MMCX connectors, now included in all the new releases. The latest W80 and ES80 actually feature ALO Ref8 premium cables, those are sold separately by ALO for $300.

Hmm, I'm so used to standard 1.2m cables. didn't realize Epic is 52 by default. I just googled ursine audio, looks like that guy is making different length cables, maybe that's a way to go for you? Just keep it mind, those are diy hobby cables, probably just a basic ofc wire.

Jun 12, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #679 of 1,446
Very good point, back when I tested ak240 (not SS but a regular version) it sounded nearly identical to ak120ii (the same DAC chipset and similar amp). So, I just did test ak120ii and ES80 and found a great synergy. The tonality is very balanced, you get a little more body (sounds more musical) and you get more sub-bass rumble. I know that Karl Cartwright (the main sound designer at Westone Labs) uses a&k daps as one of his sources for tuning. So, no surprise here :wink: Btw, ES80 bass scales up very nicely with EQ, and especially good with Cowon daps where you can use JetEffect.

These are very good news to me !!
I'm not a basshead, so i'm happy with A&K warmish signature, i don't like EQ in my DAPs...
Thanks for the information, i've been waiting for your ES80 review, please include the AK120II in your impressions, it would be a great help for the A&K customers

By the way....where is the crossover in W80??

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #680 of 1,446
These are very good news to me !!
I'm not a basshead, so i'm happy with A&K warmish signature, i don't like EQ in my DAPs...
Thanks for the information, i've been waiting for your ES80 review, please include the AK120II in your impressions, it would be a great help for the A&K customers

By the way....where is the crossover in W80??

Definitely, will include ak120ii pair up in my review. I have 2 more iem reviews ahead of ES80 (with close to a dozen of new reviews in total in my queue), so still trying to get to it.

Regarding W80 crossover, I did talk to Westone about that infamous 3D animation with all the drivers inside of the shell. They confirmed, the crossover is there, but it wasn't included because the focus of that animation was to show how the drivers were stuffed inside. I think they should have just left those wires out of the picture, just show drivers and the connector socket; otherwise it created a confusion since most of us took it literally :wink:

Jun 13, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #681 of 1,446
Westone offers

Why not a Shure 64 inch MMCX cable?
Or a Linum cable??
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01C...mmcx+cable&dpPl=1&dpID=41xEKHCSWbL&ref=plSrch

Good custom cables are more expensive, like the Black Dragon (165USD)

https://www.moon-audio.com/black-dragon-cable-shure-earphones-v1.html

Jun 14, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #682 of 1,446
I bought the w80s! I haven't had much time to listen to them yet, so i'm not comfortable enough to give any impressions on sound. However, I have come across an immediate problem. The ALO cable is too short for me. With my DAP in my front pocket, the cable isn’t long enough for me to even stand up straight. The 52in cables that come with westone earphones are also a bit too short for me. I have bought their 64in replacement epic cables in the past, but they never last more than 6 months without one channel shorting out on me. The last one I bought fits too loosely on my w40 and w80 connectors. It pops out with the slightest tug. So I’m looking for an aftermarket cable longer than 52in that’s $100 or less. Another option I guess would be to buy a cable extension for the ALO cable. But wouldn’t adding another (lower quality) cable into the mix negate the benefits of the ALO cable? If not, does anyone know of any 6-10in cable extensions that they could recommend? Or, could anyone recommend an aftermarket cable that’s under $100. I think I recall ursine audio being mentioned on this thread. Would that be a good option?

This is what I've ordered for my IEM's and earbuds that don't have the angled plug (which I prefer) and it gives a 6 inch extra length as well. Might be worth a shot and certainly cheaper than buying a whole different cable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DCBJ51I/

Jun 14, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #683 of 1,446
Why not a Shure 64 inch MMCX cable?
Or a Linum cable??
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01C...mmcx+cable&dpPl=1&dpID=41xEKHCSWbL&ref=plSrch

Good custom cables are more expensive, like the Black Dragon (165USD)

https://www.moon-audio.com/black-dragon-cable-shure-earphones-v1.html
The shure cable was the first thing i tried. I have been using a shure cable with my w40s for the past few months. It's very sensitive. If there was any dirt or dust on the mmcx connectors or stereo plug, it would make crackling noises whenever they moved. But it was fine as long as i kept things clean. With the w80s, it happens regardless. Whenever the mmcx connectors rotate, or the plug rotates, it makes crackling noises. I will take a look at linum though. thank you.

Jun 14, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #684 of 1,446
The shure cable was the first thing i tried. I have been using a shure cable with my w40s for the past few months. It's very sensitive. If there was any dirt or dust on the mmcx connectors or stereo plug, it would make crackling noises whenever they moved. But it was fine as long as i kept things clean. With the w80s, it happens regardless. Whenever the mmcx connectors rotate, or the plug rotates, it makes crackling noises. I will take a look at linum though. thank you.

Did you try de-oxit? That helps to clean up electrical contacts and even improves conductivity.

Jun 16, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #685 of 1,446
Gone back to my W60 the last couple of days after using the W80 for a couple of months. The 3-D soundstage and depth in the music is where W80 shines over W60. Once your ears are adjusted to W80, you hear the shortcomings of lessor IEMs.

I am using Linum upgrade cable on W60 and W80.

Jun 16, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #686 of 1,446
Gone back to my W60 the last couple of days after using the W80 for a couple of months. The 3-D soundstage and depth in the music is where W80 shines over W60. Once your ears are adjusted to W80, you hear the shortcomings of lessor IEMs.

Mike, are you comparing W60 vs W80 with both having linum (SPC) BaX cable? I do like ergonomics of Linum, makes the cable disappear, and in comparison to Ref8 you don't have to deal with stiff memory effect and microphonics of the cable, but Ref8 just takes a veil off the sound in comparison to Linum BaX cable, and makes bass a lot more articulate, more layered to my ears.

Btw, what do you think of ES80 so far? Different from W80 for sure :wink: So many people asking me if it's the same as W80 (still thinking it's a custom version of w80) or an upgrade. In my opinion, it's a clear sidegrade with a pure audiophile neutral tuning.

Jun 16, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #687 of 1,446

This is absolutely one feature that the W80s still blow me away every time I listen to them...simply amazing 3D holographic soundstage!

Jun 23, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #688 of 1,446
Hello forum!

I just received these today. I'm a bit disappointed with my first impressions. I've only tried the star tips because I have a whole separate supply of them in my size and didn't want to open the bag of included tips in case I want to return or sell.

Which tips do you folks find yourself using?

I've tried both cables and find different shortcomings with each (sound-wise). At this point, rather than drone on about what I don't like, I think I'll give it a few days to acclimate, though right now I prefer both SE846 and UM Pro 50.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #689 of 1,446
Hello forum!

I just received these today. I'm a bit disappointed with my first impressions. I've only tried the star tips because I have a whole separate supply of them in my size and didn't want to open the bag of included tips in case I want to return or sell.

Which tips do you folks find yourself using?

I've tried both cables and find different shortcomings with each (sound-wise). At this point, rather than drone on about what I don't like, I think I'll give it a few days to acclimate, though right now I prefer both SE846 and UM Pro 50.

So you are using a default gray-core silicone tip? It's an equivalent of medium eartip size with a shorter insertion depth. You are probably not making a good seal to assess the sound. Again, without you mentioning what you don't like about it, it's hard to help you. But, just a random guess, the seal is poor, you don't hear as much bass, and the sound is thinner and brighter to your ears? Wasn't the included tips in a resealable ziplock bag or something like that? You opened the box anyway, might as well carefully open the included tips to properly audition the W80.

Wait, you just said you prefer UM Pro 50. So, if you have UM Pro 50, they all use the same thin long nozzle and the same eartips. Why not go through your Pro 50 eartips to test W80?

Jun 23, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #690 of 1,446

Users who are viewing this thread

Back