Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Apr 22, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #2,791 of 3,631
I thought the newest version of the Walnut reverted back to switchable op amp due to demand. I think I read that here?

Tip:

Check out the original Walnut maker / seller Taobao's page.

https://world.taobao.com/item/542124740337.htm

You might not understand Chinese, but the pictures inside will give you an idea what's in the Walnut player.

Apr 22, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #2,792 of 3,631
I thought the newest version of the Walnut reverted back to switchable op amp due to demand. I think I read that here?

Tip:

Check out the original Walnut maker / seller Taobao's page.

https://world.taobao.com/item/542124740337.htm

You might not understand Chinese, but the pictures inside will give you an idea what's in the Walnut player.

This is a good tip! And unfortunately it looks like V2.1 still

Apr 24, 2017 at 3:54 AM Post #2,795 of 3,631
Where can I find good deals on op amps?

E-Bay. Just search for the lowest price first, I never did that, but you should. You can find audio opamps for 99 cents with delivery, I don't know how they can do that... but, it's happening. Also look for the ones with the most purchases and most reviews.

Apr 24, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #2,797 of 3,631
  E-Bay. Just search for the lowest price first, I never did that, but you should. You can find opamps for 99 cents with delivery, I don't know how they can do that... but, it's happening. Also look for the ones with the most purchases and most reviews.

If you container loads of scrap electronics for next to nothing then you can salvage the parts and resell them cheaply. 

Apr 24, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #2,798 of 3,631
  Is it me or does the analog sound of the v2 (with the KSC75's) make it sound like we're listening to vinyl on a record player? It's very cool!

That's why I love it. Very 70's/80's stereo sound

Apr 24, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #2,800 of 3,631
Here is the Tim Lu's reply from AisLu HiFi Store regarding the current version they are selling and also the one I ordered.

Unfortunately mine is with the soldered opamp.

Apr 24, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #2,801 of 3,631
I just received my Walnut V2.1 (my Walnut V2.0 died when I was rolling caps, too many broken traces due to my noob skillz)

initial observations compared to my V2.0 from memory:
1. when powered on and music paused, there is no background noise, even with volume turned all the way to max (my V2.0 had a noticeable background noise when paused or at low playback volume, and higher music volume will mask this background noise)
2. while charging, music play back has very noticeable background noise (my V2.0 had some additional noise/interference due to charnging on top of its background noise when playing and charging at the same time, but even with both types of noise combined it was not this bad!)

Apr 24, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #2,802 of 3,631
Here is the Tim Lu's reply from AisLu HiFi Store regarding the current version they are selling and also the one I ordered.

Unfortunately mine is with the soldered opamp.

I wonder why this seller is referring to what we call V2.1 as V2.2, is there a secret revision between the original V2 and what he calls V2.2 that we are not aware of?

on the positive side, at least there will be a new revision that reverts back to rollable opamp (what we called V2.2 and he's calling V2.3!).

p.s. damn, kicking myself for ordering a replacement too soon =(((

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #2,803 of 3,631
So I just received my Walnut in the mail today.  Charged it.  Dropped a couple of WAV files and mp3's on it.  I usually listen to flac and hi-res stuff.
Plugged my Rose Masya into it and.....GAACCCCKKKKK!!!!  This thing sounds amazing!!!  Wow, real music, finally!!!!  Oh man, analog sound, how I've missed ye.
This Walnut sounds better than the last DAP I just bought (Aune M1s even in balanced).  Ding ding, winner!
I haven't opened it up, but I'm pretty sure it's the one with the OPA2604 soldered on to it.  I've got no problems with that, now that I've heard it.
Now waiting for the Zishan Z1 to show up...I've got a Burson V5i for that.

Apr 25, 2017 at 4:02 AM Post #2,804 of 3,631
  So I just received my Walnut in the mail today.  Charged it.  Dropped a couple of WAV files and mp3's on it.  I usually listen to flac and hi-res stuff.
Plugged my Rose Masya into it and.....GAACCCCKKKKK!!!!  This thing sounds amazing!!!  Wow, real music, finally!!!!  Oh man, analog sound, how I've missed ye.
This Walnut sounds better than the last DAP I just bought (Aune M1s even in balanced).  Ding ding, winner!
I haven't opened it up, but I'm pretty sure it's the one with the OPA2604 soldered on to it.  I've got no problems with that, now that I've heard it.
Now waiting for the Zishan Z1 to show up...I've got a Burson V5i for that.

I'm glad that you're happy. :wink: 

Is the v2 really better than the Aune M1s to you? Interesting.That player is $250!

Let us know what you think of the v5i and the Z1 right away!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back