VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Jul 18, 2017 at 3:29 AM Post #7,682 of 7,982
need some sound impression
Well, I'll share more in-depth impressions in a few days as these dew days I's swamped and staying at my gf's, so no gear around. Yesterday I gave it a quick listen and I'm a bit split - so far seems that my first impressions are similar with the last impressions in the GR09 thread. Out of the box the GR07AE sounds not as clear as Gr07 and while depth is better overall the gr07ae seems less spacious - there is a dip in the upper treble which causes that. Otherwise, it is very flat, more dynamic and smoother and not prone to sibilance. Notes have that hard to describe specific tight but soft quality that only CNT drivers produce. I'll be burning it in and hopefully it will open up, also I\m sure that tip rolling will help as the sony mh1 hybrids were better with the old gr07.

edit: as far as build quality goes, it looks solid bu don't know if the shiny housings will be prone to scratches although I baby all my stuff, so I personally am not worried. The cable is darker grey and not as smooth to the touch as previous models. According to Vsonic's CEO they have changed manufacturers and the materials used and the build quality of all new models will be a lot better - that applies to the gr07 versions with detachable cables, the new low-resistance gr07 (which is what wa previously announced as the CooL gr07), the gr09 and the gr07 Anniversary eddition. Apparently all other models will be discontinued - right now that means all gr07 models that have gr07 walkaudio inscription on them instead of teh new vsonic in funky font; also vsd5s and 5si and probably all older models will follow. I picked myself a vsd5si while it's still available.

Also the new hi-end Super flagship model with crazy pricing should come out soon
68cf2617gy1fhi8za7t63j20np0hswf9.jpg

68cf2617gy1fhi8z7y7ksj20hs0np0tr.jpg

There will be different versions using different material for the housing. Last I checked the cheaper one was going to be an $800 brass one but now it seems there will also be an aluminum version, so maybe there will be a bit cheaper one

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 3:38 AM Post #7,683 of 7,982
Well, I'll share more in-depth impressions in a few days as these dew days I's swamped and staying at my gf's, so no gear around. Yesterday I gave it a quick listen and I'm a bit split - so far seems that my first impressions are similar with the last impressions in the GR09 thread. Out of the box the GR07AE sounds not as clear as Gr07 and while depth is better overall the gr07ae seems less spacious - there is a dip in the upper treble which causes that. Otherwise, it is very flat, more dynamic and smoother and not prone to sibilance. Notes have that hard to describe specific tight but soft quality that only CNT drivers produce. I'll be burning it in and hopefully it will open up, also I\m sure that tip rolling will help as the sony mh1 hybrids were better with the old gr07.

That was me from GR09 thread. Burning in is a fact here but if You'll have a chance, try Sony hybrids, they open up upper treble.

Jul 18, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #7,684 of 7,982
That was me from GR09 thread. Burning in is a fact here but if You'll have a chance, try Sony hybrids, they open up upper treble.
Yeah, I will for sure. My gr07 mk2 benefited quite a bit from them back in the day exactly in the upper highs (specifically the mh1c hybrids) but I think the spinfits might be a good match too, although they tend to make the sound lose its focus

Jul 23, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #7,689 of 7,982
Any updates from anyone who purchased the GR07 Limited Anniversary Edition with the Gr09 drivers inside? Is it better than the GR07X?
Well, I haven't heard the gr07x, so can't comment on that.
The gr07ae is a bit darker and less extended than the old gr07. This makes it more mid-centric, but while it sacrifices some clarity and openness, it gains a more realistic overall sound with a bit more full-bodied notes and more natural tonality.

Jul 28, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #7,691 of 7,982
Anyone know if vsonic will be selling balanced detachable cables ?

I had a gr07 BE for awhile and loved it, but the cable broke. i want to get a new one with the detachable cable, but i also want a balanced cable since i have a fiio x7 with the balanced amp module. i was originally using a diy 3.5 SE to 2.5 balanced cable, but that thing wore out and broke eventually too. Would rather just get 2 sets of balanced detachable cables (one to keep as a spare when the first one inevitably breaks from daily use).

i've done a good amount of diy cable work, but those detachable connections are far too tiny for my soldering skills.

Aug 2, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #7,695 of 7,982
Well, I never try to make profit out of fellow head-fiers, so it cost me $177 and I think $170 (with me covering the registered priority shipping) is fair. I've used it for a couple of hours and have burned it in for about 30 - couldn't bother with the recommended 100-200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back