VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Apr 18, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #7,622 of 7,982
I wish i knew my friend!! I wish i waited!

My impatience costed me

Hey! Seen your youtube channel, didn't realize you're a T-Dot'r. I'm in the Nine-O-Five but spend a good 10yrs in downtown core for school/work etc.

what you think of this CNT for gr09? I kind of was surprised to go to that material. I'm still waiting on frd-80 (saw yours and lachlanlikes a thing review on em) to see CNT in IEM as i've got some on ear (s500) and over ear (sz1k) CNT from JVC. It seems the ceramic housing is pushing the prices up, since JVC does CNT on the cheap.

I have this gr07 on bucket list (went with s2/fiioex1) for metal housings, but still hungering for bio-cellulose.

I dont wanna stockpile on IEMs (since not IEM) guy. Will gr07 beat out a 7550 you think? 7550 / ex800st seem to be highly regarded. Some said the s2 is close to ex1k, but i dont know, even the fiio seems slightly better, though s2 is nice with comply tips.

Thx.

Apr 22, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #7,626 of 7,982

Hey! Seen your youtube channel, didn't realize you're a T-Dot'r. I'm in the Nine-O-Five but spend a good 10yrs in downtown core for school/work etc.

what you think of this CNT for gr09? I kind of was surprised to go to that material. I'm still waiting on frd-80 (saw yours and lachlanlikes a thing review on em) to see CNT in IEM as i've got some on ear (s500) and over ear (sz1k) CNT from JVC. It seems the ceramic housing is pushing the prices up, since JVC does CNT on the cheap.

I have this gr07 on bucket list (went with s2/fiioex1) for metal housings, but still hungering for bio-cellulose.

I dont wanna stockpile on IEMs (since not IEM) guy. Will gr07 beat out a 7550 you think? 7550 / ex800st seem to be highly regarded. Some said the s2 is close to ex1k, but i dont know, even the fiio seems slightly better, though s2 is nice with comply tips.

Thx.

oh thanks! yea a fellow torontonian! 

i'm not as big of a fan of the jvc fxd80/frd80 

i thought while the CNT was very interesting sounding

the bass was nice a punchy but not overblown to be offensive and actually really clean

the treble was a bit grainy but did sizzle (maybe a bit exaggerated)

the midrange sounded too unnatural for me, coloured

i actually haven't tried the 7550 the closest thing i tried is the vsd5(which i did review a bit back) (which was supposedly tuned to sound like the ex 1000) that lachlan reviewed (as well as the vsd5s the new update to my vsd5). its a stretch i know but thats as far as i help relate you

i thought it was a bit too emphasized in the treble (but i did hear the 7550 is a bit smoother up top). the vsd5 wasn't as clean in the bass as the jvcs but i liked the midrange slightly more (didn't a/b) even though both are on the cooler side

Apr 22, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #7,628 of 7,982
  Guys, GR07BE with detachable cables or VSD5S?
my main needs are better isolation, soundstage and build, and the detachable cables on gr07 seems to be lucrative as a long term prospect.

IMO, for the bold part, VSD5S. It fits much more secure and seals better to. GR07's tiny housings tend to disengage from my ears to an annoying point. I find the soundstage to be on par between the two. But for the sound, ahhh yeah!!... the GR07 (X version in my case), sounds so much better!!

Apr 23, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #7,629 of 7,982

IMO, for the bold part, VSD5S. It fits much more secure and seals better to. GR07's tiny housings tend to disengage from my ears to an annoying point. I find the soundstage to be on par between the two. But for the sound, ahhh yeah!!... the GR07 (X version in my case), sounds so much better!!

ok, but AFAIK, GR07X has a better driver, sound and soundstage over GR07BE already. Are you implying the soundstage of GR07X to be on par with VSD5S?
GR07X is out of my budget, and i just wanted to know if it's worth spending $50 more on GR07BE with detachable cables over VSD5S for my needs. I already had a VSD5, which i liked for the sound, but the build quality just pisses me off.
triportsad.gif

Apr 23, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #7,630 of 7,982
  ok, but AFAIK, GR07X has a better driver, sound and soundstage over GR07BE already. Are you implying the soundstage of GR07X to be on par with VSD5S?
GR07X is out of my budget, and i just wanted to know if it's worth spending $50 more on GR07BE with detachable cables over VSD5S for my needs. I already had a VSD5, which i liked for the sound, but the build quality just pisses me off.
triportsad.gif

i have both the vsd5 (not the S) and the gr07x 

and i would say that gr07x is technically a superior earphone 

my reasoning is that the treble on the vsd5 (as noted in my review was a bit too emphasized, which in itself usually isn't too big of a deal for me 

but my problem is that there is a bit too much an edge, which makes them bring detail right in your face, but i think needs some refinement

the soundstage of the gr07x is more 2D, and while on par or just a bit wider

the vsd5 projects depth a bit better 

but without a doubt the vsd5 isolates better 

but the vsd5 is fairly poorly built (my pair that i got slightly used) is already developing an occasional short at the headphone jack ( and i use it seldomly, just pretty much for my review, and its been sitting in my drawer ever since, only to be taken out for some comparisons every now and then

Apr 24, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #7,631 of 7,982
  i have both the vsd5 (not the S) and the gr07x 

and i would say that gr07x is technically a superior earphone 

my reasoning is that the treble on the vsd5 (as noted in my review was a bit too emphasized, which in itself usually isn't too big of a deal for me 

but my problem is that there is a bit too much an edge, which makes them bring detail right in your face, but i think needs some refinement

the soundstage of the gr07x is more 2D, and while on par or just a bit wider

the vsd5 projects depth a bit better 

but without a doubt the vsd5 isolates better 

but the vsd5 is fairly poorly built (my pair that i got slightly used) is already developing an occasional short at the headphone jack ( and i use it seldomly, just pretty much for my review, and its been sitting in my drawer ever since, only to be taken out for some comparisons every now and then

Spot on, the build of VSD5 is really poor, i had mine thermal tubed on the jack strain relief, and they started cutting out on the earphone part themselves. From the outside, there seems to be no damage to the solder or connections, but what knows that even air is enough to damage them.
though both of my priorities (soundstage and isolation) are better covered in VSD5 than GR07X (X is proven superior to the BE version, and i am aiming for BE). Damn the confusion.

Apr 24, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #7,632 of 7,982
Spot on, the build of VSD5 is really poor, i had mine thermal tubed on the jack strain relief, and they started cutting out on the earphone part themselves. From the outside, there seems to be no damage to the solder or connections, but what knows that even air is enough to damage them.
though both of my priorities (soundstage and isolation) are better covered in VSD5 than GR07X (X is proven superior to the BE version, and i am aiming for BE). Damn the confusion.

I personally like the older be more. I like the extra bass its only slightly boosted so not a huge deal but to me the gr07be is 1a gr07x 1b

I still have it but its on its last legs

U can get the new detachable be gr07 too from lendmeurears.

Apr 24, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #7,633 of 7,982
I personally like the older be more. I like the extra bass its only slightly boosted so not a huge deal but to me the gr07be is 1a gr07x 1b

I still have it but its on its last legs

U can get the new detachable be gr07 too from lendmeurears.

Oh, cool. So, you are implying that soundstage of gr07be and gr07x are on par with vsd5s? Like all three are almost similar with vsd5s being slightly more 3d?
Yeah, I was torn between the gr07 with detachable cables, vsd5s and MA750i. Almost finalized the MA750i, but @RHA Team declined any warranty from products not bought from their official resellers, even though the product was genuine. And the official resellers are selling RHA products at a premium in my country.
Mostly i'll get gr07 now, but the build quality of Vsonic really bothers me. I just needed something that I can buy and forget, with a good sound. Detachable cables seems a big plus point on that aspect.

Apr 24, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #7,634 of 7,982
I haven't listened to the GR07x in person, but by looking at its FR graph i am pretty sure it uses the exact same driver as the rest of the GR07s, with a different tuning. Vsonic tried to make it sound less bright by damping the region by a few db. This had the side effect of also eliminating the slight bump in the high mids. The reason that the GR07 always sounded so 2d was that it lacked proper diffuse field compensation which helps a lot with the perception of depth. So while the GR07 ought to sound more neutral and even better extended, it should also sound more 2d.

Apr 25, 2017 at 4:31 AM Post #7,635 of 7,982
  I haven't listened to the GR07x in person, but by looking at its FR graph i am pretty sure it uses the exact same driver as the rest of the GR07s, with a different tuning. Vsonic tried to make it sound less bright by damping the region by a few db. This had the side effect of also eliminating the slight bump in the high mids. The reason that the GR07 always sounded so 2d was that it lacked proper diffuse field compensation which helps a lot with the perception of depth. So while the GR07 ought to sound more neutral and even better extended, it should also sound more 2d.

interesting. I really liked the soundstage for VSD5, and if it's more 2D than that, then i might not like the GR07. I listen to music while traveling a lot, so isolation is a must for me. I think the best bet right now would be MA750 then, heard a lot about it's soundstage and isolation as well. Build is tricky, but 3 years warranty should help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back