Vintage Stax repair and maintenance
May 3, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #196 of 236
Anyone know how to get the fork, that holds the earcup, off a Lambda 404?  I am sure I replaced these before by pushing out the little locking pin on the headband, just above the fork.  However it doesn't want to move and before I do something rash, I wondered f there is some trick here to get it out. 

Jan 12, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #197 of 236
Hello everyone. I have a stax lambda SR from 1984 with srd-6 but the cable right part have a little problem, when it moves it generate some scratch sound in the driver (just before the plastic plug below the can) ... as an old stax, it use a 6 pin normal bias cable and I want to replace it by a new one, but it's impossible to find that kind of cable ready to solder on stax vendors websites (only 5 pin pro cable). Does anyone know somebody having / solding this kind of replacement cable ? Can I replace it with the 5 pin cable and use the 5 to 6 pin extention ? is there another way to replace this cable ?

Many thks 

Feb 28, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #198 of 236
A question for those in the know. With electrit headphones that are unbalanced, does this imbalance cause any degradation of the sound if you balance them out with a dual volume control or balance knob? I have a rather nice pair of Stax electret model 3. It seems that I get a little distortion on the weaker channel when I turn that channels volume up to match the other one. Next question, is it cost effective with these older electrit ear speakers repaired?

Mar 1, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #199 of 236
  Does anyone know somebody having / solding this kind of replacement cable ?  

Here is a place to get the 6-pin connector. You'd have to solder it yourself.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/228275951/6-pin-plug-for-stax-normal-bias?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=stax&ref=sr_gallery_4

A question for those in the know. With electrit headphones that are unbalanced, does this imbalance cause any degradation of the sound if you balance them out with a dual volume control or balance knob? I have a rather nice pair of Stax electret model 3. It seems that I get a little distortion on the weaker channel when I turn that channels volume up to match the other one. Next question, is it cost effective with these older electrit ear speakers repaired?

With two pair of unbalanced electret SR30 earspeakers, I listen with the balance control turned 90% to one side and do not notice any distortion in the weaker earpiece. 

It's probably not cost effective to have them repaired. Yama-san told me it would be $250 two years ago.

Mar 1, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #200 of 236
Thks I founded them before your response, I already contact them, but don't know if the pro "cable" is the same than the normal one and never found a solution on the web to rebuild this cable (with the same attach to the cans).

Many thks 

Mar 2, 2017 at 6:19 AM Post #201 of 236
The pro bias cable is the same as the normal bias cable, with 6 leads, but the plug is different. Inside the pro bias connector, the bias wires for both sides are connected to one pin, while inside the normal bias plug, the bias wires for each channel have their own plug, hence the sixth plug. It would not be a problem at all to use a pro bias cable on a normal bias pair of headphones, even with the pro bias plug on it, but the only problem is that this would allow you to (accidentally) plug it into a pro bias amp. This can destroy the headphones, so always remember to not do this, ever!

Mar 2, 2017 at 8:08 AM Post #202 of 236
not true, one channel of a normal bias headphone would have no bias if used with the 5 pin pro extension cable.

Mar 2, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #203 of 236
  not true, one channel of a normal bias headphone would have no bias if used with the 5 pin pro extension cable.

I thought we are talking about replacing the whole cable with a new one, instead of a normal bias headphone with its original cable attached to a pro bias extension cable. Then you would have to cut of one of the plugs on the 6 pin connector to make it fit, and then indeed one channel would have no bias. But soldering a pro bias cable to a normal bias headphone would surely work, right? The two bias lines are connected inside the pro connector, are they not?

Mar 2, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #204 of 236
the original bias headphones were 230v bias, and each one had a separate resistor to the bias source hence the 6 pins (resistors inside the amp box)

so using a pro bias cable would put both diaphrams in parallel, and any possible arc in one diaphram might do damage to the other one.
remember that the original bias headphones had closer diaphram to stator spacing, and higher capacitance.

Mar 29, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #207 of 236
Is there anyone who can repair a Stax SRM-1 MK2 Amp really cheap
I just broke mine and I can't afford to spend much money to have it repaired,
someone said somebody repaired his for free only charging him for the parts?

May 22, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #208 of 236
Are all the non-pro drivers OK to plug electrets into, or only those originally sold with electret earspeakers? Could I use an SRD-Xp or SRA-3s with SR-40s? Looking for a way to drive SR-40 and SR-30 from Pre-outs.

May 22, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #209 of 236
Also, my SR-30s have a significant R/L imbalance as many others have mentioned. The membranes look perfect as far as I can see. As I understand it, electrets rely on a semipermanent charge; not the bias that electrostatics do. Is there any way of restoring/refreshing that charge?
And third, the leatherette on the earpads is like new; but the pads are thinner and stiffer than those on my SR-40s. Could I expect new pads to make much of a difference?
At this point, I am seriously considering ending my 37 year relationship with Stax and moving on to planar magnetics. Any comments?

May 22, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #210 of 236
Here is a place to get the 6-pin connector. You'd have to solder it yourself.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/228275...gallery&ga_search_query=stax&ref=sr_gallery_4

With two pair of unbalanced electret SR30 earspeakers, I listen with the balance control turned 90% to one side and do not notice any distortion in the weaker earpiece.

It's probably not cost effective to have them repaired. Yama-san told me it would be $250 two years ago.

If time is the enemy of electret drivers; wouldn't an unused 35 year old driver be as likely to be weak as a used driver? Maybe more?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back