Valhalla 2 review coming soon!
Mar 29, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #871 of 907
  Looks like the Valhalla 2 is available again in black on the Schiit site.  I don't think the option was there a few days ago.  I'm not sure if I prefer it in silver or not.  

If you're planning on pairing with another piece of Schiit, might want to check to see if it's available in black too.  I see that the Bifrost Multibit is also available in black.  Too bad they weren't available a year ago because that's what I would've purchased.  Silver still looks cool, but I think the black would have looked great on my darkened glass table.  Wish they'd make that color option more widely available on their other products.

Mar 29, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #872 of 907
I have a black Valhalla and it looks great. However, I've held back on getting a Saga until it becomes available in black, if ever. That's the downside of having a black Schiit product and you have plans to match it with another.

Apr 4, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #874 of 907
  I have a black Valhalla and it looks great. However, I've held back on getting a Saga until it becomes available in black, if ever. That's the downside of having a black Schiit product and you have plans to match it with another.

Has anyone asked Schiit who does their powder coating ? A lot of these places will do one-offs for individuals ?

Apr 4, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #875 of 907
I've seen other posts/sites where people have had this done.  I think you could bring it to any powder coat place, but it would probably void your warranty.  My understanding of the process is that these places tend to batch things, so you might have to wait a little while as well.

Apr 4, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #876 of 907
  I've seen other posts/sites where people have had this done.  I think you could bring it to any powder coat place, but it would probably void your warranty.  My understanding of the process is that these places tend to batch things, so you might have to wait a little while as well.

Are the black Schiit boxes powder coated or black anodized?  Thought they were anodized.

Apr 5, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #878 of 907
  Powder coated: http://www.head-fi.org/t/690198/black-schiit-or-our-suppliers-mistake-is-your-um-benefit

Ahh, ok.  If one of our suppliers did that to us, those parts would be rejected immediately and the vendor would remedy it on their nickel...and be lucky if they got future business from us.

Apr 5, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #879 of 907
Yeah, there isn't a lot of detail on the negotiations.  Maybe the supplier didn't charge them and just said throw them away instead of shipping back, or they agreed on a lower price and Schiit determined they could still sell them at a profit. 

For all we know they agreed going forward if they had a batch of aluminum with some cosmetic damages that they could offer to powder coat them and sell them to Schiit at a discount in batches.  That might explain why the black units keep periodically coming up for sale.  Otherwise it seems surprising they would keep making the same mistake.

Apr 6, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #880 of 907
  Yeah, there isn't a lot of detail on the negotiations.  Maybe the supplier didn't charge them and just said throw them away instead of shipping back, or they agreed on a lower price and Schiit determined they could still sell them at a profit. 

For all we know they agreed going forward if they had a batch of aluminum with some cosmetic damages that they could offer to powder coat them and sell them to Schiit at a discount in batches.  That might explain why the black units keep periodically coming up for sale.  Otherwise it seems surprising they would keep making the same mistake.

Good point on potential minor cosmetic damage - I'm dealing with that right now with the lasers I've been building.

Apr 7, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #882 of 907
Cute!  Have fun with your new baby!!
smile.gif

Apr 7, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #883 of 907
I currently have the LCD 2 fazor, and comparing them with the jot I don't hear very much of a difference or the tube sound. I am expecting this as the Valhalla 2 is an OTL tube amp and doesn't exactly go well with high efficiency planars. If this were paired with the hd800 or hd800s would it pair much better and give more tube sound to these high impedance cans?
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back