V-MODA Crossfade 2 Wireless - We Discuss It With Val Kolton - Head-Fi TV
Jun 6, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #931 of 1,668
Hi,

today i received my CW2 and I would like to know if the 3 buttons got the same click feel or are the volume buttons different ? because on mine the middle(play) button is only responsive when pressed from underneath pressing from above or exactly on the logo doesn't work unlike the volume buttons. Is this by design or is my unit broken?

Thanks!

Jun 7, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #932 of 1,668
Hi,

today i received my CW2 and I would like to know if the 3 buttons got the same click feel or are the volume buttons different ? because on mine the middle(play) button is only responsive when pressed from underneath pressing from above or exactly on the logo doesn't work unlike the volume buttons. Is this by design or is my unit broken?

Thanks!
I've used one CW2 and two CW1s and the button behavior on all three was pretty different. Sometimes the buttons would have a tactile feel to them, other times they feel squishy. For 300+ dollars I honestly expected much more from the buttons. They should feel tactile and responsive at all times, but it's rare that I can get that perfect three button press to reverse a track.

Jun 7, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #933 of 1,668
Hi,

Thanks!
The buttons were one of the things I had a bit of issue with in my review. Your unit is not defective.

Jun 7, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #934 of 1,668
There is proof that it was listed on the website — just check web.archive.org. I've even linked proof with a direct link right here, in this thread, several days ago. Here you go again: http://web.archive.org/web/20161027231226/http://v-moda.com:80/crossfade-wireless

I said people were initially using the video as source but proof has been provided. I'm not trying to diminish that but people were already lighting up their pitchforks before someone, like you, went back and dug up more information. It seemed like people were quick to jump on the "let's burn V-Moda" bandwagon because they were upset about something else (like the lack of AAC in the CF2W's).

We do know that MDR's support AAC, as it is easy to validate that on any Mac computer. Linux, probably, too. Sure, the host can decide to use SBC, but the fact is, several people here aren't even able to run a single AAC connection for CFW.

My main point is that, if we are going to scrutinize V-Moda (and rightfully so), others should also be held to the same standards. I haven't come across a post testing every codec that the MDR-100's advertise they're compatible with. As we all know, from V-Moda's example, advertising isn't everything. That's my main point. It's not to diminish or overlook what V-Moda has done, it's not to stand up for them or write of some silly excuse. What they did is clearly wrong and they should definitely be more open with niche customers especially if they are going to post on websites and forums that those niche customers follow.

First, I think you disrespect "the average consumer", whoever that is. Just operating on the hypothesis that people are sheep is not something I can relate to.

It wasn't meant as disrespect but it is the truth.

Third, a codec is something the general public actually understands quite well, as most pricey Bluetooth headphones right now have AptX support, and they have that advertised right on the box, as well as in any online profile.

It might be printed on the box but the average consumer definitely doesn't know what it means. They aren't going to take the time to research different codecs, especially in a store when they're holding the box, written on the box for the MDR-1000's.

I would say the same goes for Sony, B&W, Sennheiser, and any and all vendors who claim to be pushing the state of the art. If I owned a pair of Sony or Senn headphones that claimed to support AAC, or MP3, or aptX, and then didn't, I'd be shouting just as loudly.

I agree with what you're saying. My point is that some people here seemed a little too eager to start shouting at V-Moda for what they did. Again, I'm not saying it's right and they should definitely be held accountable but some people started getting mad without showing any proof. Additionally, complaints about the lack of AAC on the CF2W seem overblown based on reviews, that the quality of the rose gold models is the same in either aptX or SBC mode so having AAC wouldn't of made a difference. I just haven't come across the same level of scrutiny in other sub-forums for different headphones. I haven't come across a post where someone tested and verified all the codecs that the Beoplay H9's work with. B&O didn't initially deceive their customers but, as V-Moda showed us, there's always a first time for everything.

It's ok to deceive your audience as long as they're not aware you're deceiving them and as long as the only people aware of your deception is a "small/niche" group? I'm sure your attempts to minimize V-Moda's anti-consumer actions are appreciated at the home office. If you have evidence of Sennheiser or Sony lying about the codecs they support, present it.

It's not OK to deceive people, the common consumer is just none the wiser as to what's going on. What I'm trying to get across is that people, including myself, looked into matters regarding the CF2W's and tested the codecs that they work with yet I haven't seen the same level of scrutiny for other companies. It's just a general assumption that they work with all the codecs they advertise as being compatible. If we are going to test V-Moda's headphones, why aren't more people in the Sony MDR-100ABN forum asking that theirs be tested too? People are rightfully upset over what V-Moda did with the CFW1's and are (I think, wrongfully) up in arms over the lack of AAC support in the CF2W's. They wanted those headphones tested so people (again, including myself) did so. But I haven't come across similar requests in the forums for other headphones.

Jun 8, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #935 of 1,668
anyone or @valkolton is Adorama Camera an authorized dealer on amazon? I bought a pair on Amazon and I am getting a lot of crackling and disruption via bluetooth when listening.Is anyone else experiencing this aswell? Sometimes is works well and everyone once in a while I encounter this problem.

Jun 12, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #939 of 1,668
It's definitely above average, and one of the best mid-ranges they've tested. Seems like they made a big improvement there while bass is about the same as the M-100 and treble is even more toned-down, which is welcome. My only concern is the odd spike at 10Hz on the right driver that indicates that the manufacturing protocols to ensure consistent frequency response isn't as stringent as before.

Here's a comparison of the Sony MDR-1000x vs the Crossfade 2 Wireless vs the Beats Solo3 (in that order):

H67RLkr.png

Jun 12, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #940 of 1,668
Also, here's the graph with the differing treble response on the left and right drivers including a sibilant peak at 10Hz only found on the right driver:

0rBM2Yl.png

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #941 of 1,668
According to their ratings I should get the Beats Solo 3. Looks like the most balanced sound of the 3 by far.

Jun 12, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #942 of 1,668
According to their ratings I should get the Beats Solo 3. Looks like the most balanced sound of the 3 by far.
Yeah, but nowhere in the review do I read anything about wired performance. Already taking with a huge grain of salt when I read that it has the same bass performance as m100. IMO it's a very noticeable difference, but not a bad thing. Also, in listening, I don't notice any striking difference in treble between left and right. I find the treble VERY enjoyable. Perhaps they had a faulty pair. But that great mid-range score is accurate, which is why I love listening to music on the CF2W.

Jun 12, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #943 of 1,668
It's definitely above average, and one of the best mid-ranges they've tested. Seems like they made a big improvement there while bass is about the same as the M-100 and treble is even more toned-down, which is welcome. My only concern is the odd spike at 10Hz on the right driver that indicates that the manufacturing protocols to ensure consistent frequency response isn't as stringent as before.

Here's a comparison of the Sony MDR-1000x vs the Crossfade 2 Wireless vs the Beats Solo3 (in that order):

H67RLkr.png

Looks like I should check out the Beats Solo 3. Great audio and incredible battery life. At least that's how I'm reading it.

Jun 12, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #944 of 1,668
Looks like I should check out the Beats Solo 3. Great audio and incredible battery life. At least that's how I'm reading it.

Honestly, the Solo3 is a great headphone and it beats the sound quality score of every other wireless headphone on RTings. If you want AAC, incredible battery life, and a strong non-muddy bass boost then the Solo3 is surprisingly excellent in those regards.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #945 of 1,668
The mismatch at 10KHz in our review unit shouldn't be a big concern. The fact that our unit had that mismatch doesn't mean that all units have it, and aside from that, a mismatch at 10KHz doesn't really make or break a headphone.

If neutral sound quality is what you're after, then the MDR 1000X is the best of the three up to 10KHz. The Treble issues above 10KHz with the Sony only appear on some bluetooth devices, and not all (Android phones seem to be immune). We have made some recordings with the MDR1000X to demonstrate the difference between wired and BT performance. If you find the difference negligible (like most of us in the office do), then go with the MDR 1000X. You can find the recording in the description of the YouTube review: http://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/sony/mdr-1000x

Solo3 and Crossfade II are quite comparable in terms of sound quality. Both have a bit too much Bass, with Solo3 having a recessed Mid and the Crossfade a recessed Treble. If you want excess Bass and are not after a neutral sound, then it comes down to your Mid vs. Treble preference, and of course the difference in form factor and comfort/wireless/battery performance.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back