USB noise from motherboard!
Jul 28, 2017 at 12:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

AudioThief

500+ Head-Fier
hi guys.

I recently purchased a new amplifier and sold off my dacamp. The amplifier is a big solid state class A amp going into the dragonfly red as a dac via RCA to 3.5 - when I connect the DFR to my desktop PC, there is A LOT of hissing. This was not a problem using just the dfr and a headphone, or with the dacamp via usb a to usb b .. It reacts when I move my mouse, write with the keyboard etc. Its unlistenable.

If I use my laptop, which I'm doing now, there is no issue what so every with identical setup. So its my desktop motherboard/usb input thats the issue.

Now I'm wondering, should I just get a usb extension cable, or do I need something like the AQ jitterbug or Schiit Wyrd?

Jul 29, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #2 of 3
Try downloading the latest Audioquest (AQ) Dragonfly (DF) Version 1.5/Black/Red digital updates and upgrading your DF Red to the latest firmware before considering buying anything.

http://www.audioquest.com/digitalupdates/

If the problem persists, buy the USB extension cable first, and make sure it is 3.0 to make it as future-proof. If that does not work, get the AQ Jitterbug and you can still use the USB extension cable as a long dongle for the Jitterbug and DF Red or whatever else you need a USB extension cable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back