Ultrasone Signature DJ
Jul 26, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #2,551 of 2,701
I also love my Sig DJ's. I've tried quite a few of the closed back champs and these just still come out on top for me. I also own the Sig PROs and while they are very good they're just not as much fun as the DJ's. The biggest difference is the mids which are far more pronounced in the PRO's. Sound a bit "congested" in comparison to the more U shaped Sig DJ's.

Jul 27, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #2,552 of 2,701
Hey all, so I am loving my Sig DJs to death. I am thinking of getting another set of Ultrasones in the same league (still keeping Sig DJs) to have an alternate sound signature on the fly. Right now The Edition 8 (Palladium) and Signature Pros are in my price range with both of them on sale for new at an online retailer. Do you think those would be good? Or maybe something like the Ultrasone Edition M Plus... if anyone has any experience with em'. Thanks!

What kind of signature are you looking for ?

Jul 28, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #2,553 of 2,701
Something that sounds really close to the sound quality of the DJs, but more portable. I went ahead and ordered the edition 8s, I read on a couple favorable reviews that they sound killer hooked directly into an ipod, which I have no idea is really true. I thought about it for a while, and yes I am actually more interested in a smaller, more portable pair that can try to hold their own next to the DJ, then just leave my Djs at home.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #2,554 of 2,701
Something that sounds really close to the sound quality of the DJs, but more portable. I went ahead and ordered the edition 8s, I read on a couple favorable reviews that they sound killer hooked directly into an ipod, which I have no idea is really true. I thought about it for a while, and yes I am actually more interested in a smaller, more portable pair that can try to hold their own next to the DJ, then just leave my Djs at home.

I hope.it turns out to be very fun for you!

I'm listening to signature studio these days and I love the sound although it is not exactly the same with signature dj, having less bass and more treble.

Jul 28, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #2,555 of 2,701
I thought about trying those out after I listened to hundreds of hours out of my Performance 880s. I have the 880s, the Sig DJs and getting the edition 8s in the mail today. How do you like them, the Studios? I couldnt wait to try out the DJs when I got them and the Studios were just about to come out. Then I noticed a sale on the DJs and I hopped on it. I am not unhappy with my decision. Sig DJs are very smooth and musical. You really don't feel like you are missing anything in the recording without hardly ever any fatigue. I hope the edition 8s can bring me close to that experience while being much more portable friendly. Then I will just leave the DJs at home.

Jul 28, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #2,556 of 2,701
I thought about trying those out after I listened to hundreds of hours out of my Performance 880s. I have the 880s, the Sig DJs and getting the edition 8s in the mail today. How do you like them, the Studios? I couldnt wait to try out the DJs when I got them and the Studios were just about to come out. Then I noticed a sale on the DJs and I hopped on it. I am not unhappy with my decision. Sig DJs are very smooth and musical. You really don't feel like you are missing anything in the recording without hardly ever any fatigue. I hope the edition 8s can bring me close to that experience while being much more portable friendly. Then I will just leave the DJs at home.

Signature studio have more treble and they are very prone to reveal mistakes in a song. They also have less bass, think about their bass more like a reference bass, quick, precise, drop of a needle but somehow fun bass.

My best guess is that they were made for professionals since their sound is excellent for actually mastering a track, you wouldn't believe how helpful they are for me as master rather than as a listener .

The fun in them is immense for me after I turn on the X-Bass on iDSD BL, without it being slightly too conservative for listening purposes .

Jul 28, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #2,557 of 2,701
I should probably add this , I think that signature studio might be even better than signature dj from a technical point of view. At only 600$ or so, signature studio has a tuning similar to HD800S and they also sport a technical quality to their sound that is similar to... Hm... I'd say that it is similar to HD800S - but please keep in mind that I'm amping mine with iDSD BL and S-Logic really works with my ears.

But all in all, I think that I couldn't have been happier with signature studio and I actually prefer them over the DJs since they have more treble and this was one of the things I wished for with the DJs

Aug 10, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #2,559 of 2,701
hi all
i'll buy the new signature dj for 400 dollar today. really worth the price? performance 880 seems more sturdy and comfy than sig. dj. and 880 is 275 dollar here. Which one should I take?

Hey there!

Sig Dj might sound better in the long run, although 880 is a very good option as well. Sig Dj might have better definition and sound more vivid in general, where 880 might have stronger bass, it really depends on what you're looking for.

Aug 18, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #2,561 of 2,701
Agree with eargasm and Dobrescu , futaki. The Signature DJ is just a more intoxicating listen, more vivid, more punch and pleasing bass than the 880s. However I also agree that during some situations the 880s are more comfortable and less prone to sweat build up than the Signature DJs very thick pads. The 880s are a lot less $ though and possibly might be a touch more value for money, but the DJ is the much better option for sound alone here... By the way I received my Edition 8s a few weeks ago and I absolutely love them. They seem to be more faithful to the recording while the DJ produces, maybe an overly rich sound at times than the artist intended. The Edition 8 also wins in terms of comfort and beat out the 880s and Djs in this regard on all fronts. They are very lightweight and easily portable. Come with a fantastic , very high quility leather transport bag. Though I like the DJs case almost as much, but not quite. I have sent my Signature DJs in for a hardwired split mod from Moon Audio (Black Dragon with Rhodium plug.) Then when I get those back I am going to get a Dragon cable on my Edition 8's... possibly silver. I am actually thinking of trying the Signature Studios at some point, just to have around for an alternate sound signature. Could be a while though. Extremely happy with my setup as is and already upgrading cables as we speak so, yeah. Maybe sometime in the future though. How is the comfort with the Signature Studios?

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #2,562 of 2,701
Agree with eargasm and Dobrescu , futaki. The Signature DJ is just a more intoxicating listen, more vivid, more punch and pleasing bass than the 880s. However I also agree that during some situations the 880s are more comfortable and less prone to sweat build up than the Signature DJs very thick pads. The 880s are a lot less $ though and possibly might be a touch more value for money, but the DJ is the much better option for sound alone here... By the way I received my Edition 8s a few weeks ago and I absolutely love them. They seem to be more faithful to the recording while the DJ produces, maybe an overly rich sound at times than the artist intended. The Edition 8 also wins in terms of comfort and beat out the 880s and Djs in this regard on all fronts. They are very lightweight and easily portable. Come with a fantastic , very high quility leather transport bag. Though I like the DJs case almost as much, but not quite. I have sent my Signature DJs in for a hardwired split mod from Moon Audio (Black Dragon with Rhodium plug.) Then when I get those back I am going to get a Dragon cable on my Edition 8's... possibly silver. I am actually thinking of trying the Signature Studios at some point, just to have around for an alternate sound signature. Could be a while though. Extremely happy with my setup as is and already upgrading cables as we speak so, yeah. Maybe sometime in the future though. How is the comfort with the Signature Studios?

Signature studios are quite comfortable, if anything, I'm not sure if the pads are as large in size as the ones on Sig DJ, so if you have smaller ears, you might want to consider this.

I haven't heard any Ultrasone with custom cables, I hope it goes very well for you!

Signature Studio has indeed quite a different sound, much sparklier, much livelier, but at the same time, Sig DJ will be fuller. Sig Studio are made to be the absolute honest headphone, the bass is extremely fast, much faster than you'd think before hearing them, where Sig DJ sounds fun and playful. Sig Studio is a great thing by itself, an experience you need to experience at least once to understand. Imagine a HD800S, in a closed back form, but with the sweet midrange of Ultrasone instead of the mature midrange of HD800S, it is a real pleasure to listen to:gs1000smile:

Aug 23, 2017 at 5:41 AM Post #2,564 of 2,701
Good to know think I'm gonna stay with my sig djs . It sounds like I would prefer its robust sound signature over the sig studios.

If you're into fuller bass, probably yes. Signature Studio is quite neutral, made to be true studio headphone, so the bass is not as enhanced. I still enjoy electronic music with them a lot, but if you're coming from Sig Dj, you should be aware of this. The top end is also more enhanced, much more sparkle and energy, but Sig Studio is not as smooth :smile_phones:

I think that their name gives it away, Signature Studio

Aug 23, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #2,565 of 2,701
Luckily, I have small ears, so I can enjoy the edition 8s. I might try out the Signature Studios, sounds fun. I have had Performance 880s wired with a Blue Dragon and Black Dragon headphone cable with awesome results. With the Black Dragon giving much more oomph in the bass and the Blue Dragon a nice Neutral upgrade, with more sparkling highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back