Ultimate Ears UE Pro Reference Remastered! (UERR)
Jun 22, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #526 of 811
I am really interested in these! How long do IEMs in general fit properly? I heard that the human ear canal continuously changes during a person's life, which means that at one point the IEM may no longer properly fit. Did any of you notice this with UE IEMs?

Thanks,
Vincent

Jun 22, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #530 of 811
I am really interested in these! How long do IEMs in general fit properly? I heard that the human ear canal continuously changes during a person's life, which means that at one point the IEM may no longer properly fit. Did any of you notice this with UE IEMs?

Thanks,
Vincent
Usually the CIEM (most all, including UE's CIEMs) will fit sufficiently (especially when the person using them is an adult) for at least several years to many years without issue. Usually the ear will experience the most drastic changes if there is an immense change in body weight, and/or if the ear (inside like the ear canal area and outer ear itself) has been bludgeoned to the point where it has changed physical shape (usually due to physical trauma from sports such as wrestling, Judo, Jiu-Jitsu, etcetera). The aforementioned drastic changes may cause the CIEM to no longer fit the ear(s) sufficiently, but if you aren't subject to those changes, you should be fine with the fit of your CIEM for years to come.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #532 of 811
I believe there is a universal version coming up if CIEM isn't your thing.

That said, my extremely tight fitting FitEar are still fitting well even when it's 3-4 years old.

Jun 22, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #533 of 811
I believe there is a universal version coming up if CIEM isn't your thing.

That said, my extremely tight fitting FitEar are still fitting well even when it's 3-4 years old.

Do you mean universal UERR, the ToGo version? It has been released in Asia almost 7 months ago, not sure how it never made it over to US/UK. I posted my impressions HERE back in January, with a comparison to CIEM UERR. As a matter of fact, there is also a universal version of UE18+ Pro, I received it yesterday for testing. Hopefully, it will be released for sale sometimes soon. From the first out of the box listening, it was very interesting to hear how UE18+ Pro compares to UERR. 18+ has a little wider soundstage, more impact in mid-bass, and lower mids were a little north of neutral, adding more body and warmth to the sound. But upper mids and treble sounded similar to my ears.

Jun 22, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #534 of 811
Do you mean universal UERR, the ToGo version? It has been released in Asia almost 7 months ago, not sure how it never made it over to US/UK. I posted my impressions HERE back in January, with a comparison to CIEM UERR. As a matter of fact, there is also a universal version of UE18+ Pro, I received it yesterday for testing. Hopefully, it will be released for sale sometimes soon. From the first out of the box listening, it was very interesting to hear how UE18+ Pro compares to UERR. 18+ has a little wider soundstage, more impact in mid-bass, and lower mids were a little north of neutral, adding more body and warmth to the sound. But upper mids and treble sounded similar to my ears.

I'm having one here as well. Similar impressions for the most part, perhaps maybe feeling a slight bump on the treble than the UERR. Feels, from my memory, like the U shaped 18+ pro combined with the UERR, which is the dip to the midrange is not that obvious, bass and treble not too pronounced. Flatter U, I suppose, but early impressions.

Jun 22, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #535 of 811
Thank you so much for your clear and reassuring explanation, moedawg140! Also many thanks for the other replies, much appreciated!
You are most welcome. Have yourself an awesome day/evening! :right_facing_fist: (imagine a brown fistbump)

Jun 23, 2017 at 4:23 AM Post #536 of 811
MY UERM is 5 years + 2 months old. Still fit perfectly.

Jun 23, 2017 at 5:58 AM Post #537 of 811
Well, I just made an appointment to have impressions of my ears made by the official distributor of UE in the Netherlands. As I am well over 40, I expect my ear canal not to change too drastically over the coming years. As a test, I put in a set of custom earplugs that an audiologist made for me six years ago, and those still fit well. I do practice Krav Maga, however, but I have never been severely hit on my ears. I'll just need to make sure that I never will :wink:

Thanks again, guys!

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #538 of 811

I'm having one here as well. Similar impressions for the most part, perhaps maybe feeling a slight bump on the treble than the UERR. Feels, from my memory, like the U shaped 18+ pro combined with the UERR, which is the dip to the midrange is not that obvious, bass and treble not too pronounced. Flatter U, I suppose, but early impressions.

Here's a comparison between the two on FR:

output.png

Green: UE18+, Yellow: UERR

I'll be receiving the UE18+ soon as well. As someone who opposes the UERR's existence (especially when it meant the death of the extremely capable UERM) I feel like the 18+ was what the UERR should've been. A UERRR, if you will.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #539 of 811
Well, I just made an appointment to have impressions of my ears made by the official distributor of UE in the Netherlands. As I am well over 40, I expect my ear canal not to change too drastically over the coming years. As a test, I put in a set of custom earplugs that an audiologist made for me six years ago, and those still fit well. I do practice Krav Maga, however, but I have never been severely hit on my ears. I'll just need to make sure that I never will :wink:

Thanks again, guys!
Nice - let us know how the process goes and which model you decide to go with (the Netherlands distributor should have the kiosk for you to try all of the models with the same pair of on-the-fly model-selectable demonstration earphones in your ears).

Jun 23, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #540 of 811
Disclaimer: I am not being paid by UE.

For those interested, here is the most recent update with regards to the universal (to-go) versions:

The UE models: UE 5, UE RR and UE 18+ are now available as universal (to-go) versions. They will be available on Amazon shortly, but in the meantime, if you'd like one, let me know and I'll pass your info along for immediate purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back