Ultimate Ears UE Pro Reference Remastered! (UERR)
Apr 29, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #481 of 811
Just ordered these...I have the original UERM as well in perfect functioning order, so it should be interesting to compare the two directly as I haven't seen many direct comparisons. Looks like most sold them or didn't have the previous model or stuck with the previous one and didn't order new.

Let me know how to feel by comparing this two CIEMs.

Tomorrow is my 5th anniversary of UERM! Hurray!

Thanks UE!

May 3, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #482 of 811
new to head-fi but a long time audio enthusiast. Never realized the forum existed. I guess I was under a rock?! Just got a pair of uerr. They are awesome. I love the sounds stage, separation and overall sound. I wish for certain tracks - i could turn up the bass a bit. But I guess they bring out the truth in the recordings. These were an upgrade to my ue4's. I love the fit - but felt like the sound was missing some depth and clarity. In that regard the uerr deliver. I think I want a pair ue11's to compliment these for certain moods.

Anyone have a dac/amp pairing they really like with the uerr. I think some of my issue is that I am plugging into my computer or iPad directly. Been looking at the dragonfly red or oppo ha2. Not sure which route to go.

May 3, 2017 at 7:09 AM Post #483 of 811
Anyone have a dac/amp pairing they really like with the uerr. I think some of my issue is that I am plugging into my computer or iPad directly. Been looking at the dragonfly red or oppo ha2. Not sure which route to go.

I like the sound coming from my Opus #1 via balanced output. UE offers a reasonably priced balanced cable that fits 2.5 mm balanced outputs on some digital audio players

May 4, 2017 at 1:03 AM Post #484 of 811
For amping multi driver IEMs just make sure to get a low output impedance amp (less than 0.5 is best). Lots of people seem to like leckerton amps with these. Also the Chord Mojo is amazing with IEMs. If you're looking for a portable player the QP1R supposedly pairs the best with the UE reference line of monitors. I've personally never heard this combo but it has been confirmed by several head-fiers as well as UE staff that they met up with.

May 4, 2017 at 5:33 AM Post #485 of 811
For amping multi driver IEMs just make sure to get a low output impedance amp (less than 0.5 is best). Lots of people seem to like leckerton amps with these. Also the Chord Mojo is amazing with IEMs. If you're looking for a portable player the QP1R supposedly pairs the best with the UE reference line of monitors. I've personally never heard this combo but it has been confirmed by several head-fiers as well as UE staff that they met up with.
I brought my QP1R to UE's headquarters a while ago and the first thing the staff there asked me was "What's that?" I responded "The QP1R!" They listened to various IEMs that I brought and they also listened to the UEPRR with it, and they liked the combination enough to recently have used QP1R's as DAPs to pair up with their lineup at several of their last audio events. The UEPRR sounds great to my ears even with the iPhone 6 as I use that and the remote cable for greatest flexibility when I'm out and about, but for that extra "everything", I pair up UE IEMs (and everything else I've tested, listened to and own), with the QP1R.

Try it out if you can, you may like it (you may not as well). More info is in the QP1R review thread, located in my signature and profile.

Cheers

Last edited:
May 9, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #487 of 811
Finally getting down to comparing the two, UERM and UERR, and digging for very exact, precise differences. They definitely both have very neutral flat sound signatures, but with some odd unique qualities that I can't quite pinpoint just yet. I'm afraid I've gotten too used to the UERM that the UERR now sounds slightly colored, but every time I think I hear something that's "off" it disappears when I go to zero in on it. The mid-treble transition in the UERR is definitely different. Female vocals especially take on a different timbre, in a very odd way they sound closer but also quieter and sometimes masked by the lower treble frequencies. The imaging is also different. It sounds like the lower treble has a very wide soundstage, while the mids are extremely centered. The mids of the UERR sometimes take on a hollow sound which I've never heard through the UERM before. These are just a few initial impressions. Will continue to A/B and evaluate over the next couple of weeks.

May 10, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #488 of 811
Small update after listening for a few hours last night. At first they sounded kinda overly centralized and 2D, but I listened to them for a couple hours while editing and realized the soundstage is just much wider at the extremities which in contrast brings centralized mid sounds like 300hz to 3000hz closer into the center. All in all I would say the soundstage is wider but not as deep. In terms of separation what this means is, you have a panoramic wall of sound, with more clean borders between individual sounds/instruments, but with less longitudinal imaging. In comparison the original UERM sounds a tiny bit smeared together in the upper details. The UERR is definitely harder to drive, and I only tend to notice the difference in lateral separation when using an amped source. I'm kinda torn though, because, while the UERR has better separation and slightly better detail, the UERM was more cohesive and natural sounding. I think separating the treble and mids into different bores could have been a mistake, because what this did was split vocals into notes and the consonants, which at times makes vocals (especially female) vocals sound artificial and processed. This could be due to a possible defect in my set (more on that below). I'm not sure exactly how to describe this, but the UERM also sounds like it has more initial bite/attack to notes/drums/sounds in that the transients have a higher amplitude, which to me, gave the UERM a sense of harshness and realism (you can't turn down the volume of real life). The UERR seems to be missing this quality. The treble never sounds harsh, even if I turn up the volume, and the bass, while having noticeably deeper extension, is missing a little bit of that sharp impact and punch that the UERMs had. These all sound like bad things but I do hear more micro detail, so it's not as if the entire frequency range has been smoothed over. It could be due to a potential phase issue described below.

**Possible Warranty Issue**
I may need to send them back as I noticed the right sound bores are not circular like the left. They almost look melted and are very irregular in shape, not a smooth oval or something. I'm hearing a slight shift in imaging, which appears to come from a discrepancy in the mid/treble crossover, mostly female vocals between the voice and consonant sounds, which I can only attribute to what sounds like a phase variance between the mid and treble driver. I've already messaged UE, so I'll have to wait and see what they say about it.

(side note, all my comparisons are done using a Grace m9xx and flac or better, not because I think the Grace is the be all end all of amps/dacs, but because I believe it gives me a neutral and consistent enough source by which to compare multiple headphones/earphones)

May 10, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #489 of 811
Small update after listening for a few hours last night. At first they sounded kinda overly centralized and 2D, but I listened to them for a couple hours while editing and realized the soundstage is just much wider at the extremities which in contrast brings centralized mid sounds like 300hz to 3000hz closer into the center. All in all I would say the soundstage is wider but not as deep. In terms of separation what this means is, you have a panoramic wall of sound, with more clean borders between individual sounds/instruments, but with less longitudinal imaging. In comparison the original UERM sounds a tiny bit smeared together in the upper details. The UERR is definitely harder to drive, and I only tend to notice the difference in lateral separation when using an amped source. I'm kinda torn though, because, while the UERR has better separation and slightly better detail, the UERM was more cohesive and natural sounding. I think separating the treble and mids into different bores could have been a mistake, because what this did was split vocals into notes and the consonants, which at times makes vocals (especially female) vocals sound artificial and processed. This could be due to a possible defect in my set (more on that below). I'm not sure exactly how to describe this, but the UERM also sounds like it has more initial bite/attack to notes/drums/sounds in that the transients have a higher amplitude, which to me, gave the UERM a sense of harshness and realism (you can't turn down the volume of real life). The UERR seems to be missing this quality. The treble never sounds harsh, even if I turn up the volume, and the bass, while having noticeably deeper extension, is missing a little bit of that sharp impact and punch that the UERMs had. These all sound like bad things but I do hear more micro detail, so it's not as if the entire frequency range has been smoothed over. It could be due to a potential phase issue described below.

**Possible Warranty Issue**
I may need to send them back as I noticed the right sound bores are not circular like the left. They almost look melted and are very irregular in shape, not a smooth oval or something. I'm hearing a slight shift in imaging, which appears to come from a discrepancy in the mid/treble crossover, mostly female vocals between the voice and consonant sounds, which I can only attribute to what sounds like a phase variance between the mid and treble driver. I've already messaged UE, so I'll have to wait and see what they say about it.

(side note, all my comparisons are done using a Grace m9xx and flac or better, not because I think the Grace is the be all end all of amps/dacs, but because I believe it gives me a neutral and consistent enough source by which to compare multiple headphones/earphones)
I found the opposite. When plugged to a mixing console, the extended response of the UERR is much more accurate than the UERM ever was. You can take out the UERR and the live room almost perfectly matches the sound you were mixing, with the obvious difference of frequencies that it couldn't reproduce. The UERM needs a bit of EQ to make the sound coming out of it match the live sound and even then, it wasn't as accurate in other spots.

The UE Pro Line Drive helps a lot too, as it equalizes the impedance differences between source and monitors. I use a Cayin N3 with the RR but without the Line Drive as it makes too small a difference, but does improve the mid/high mix when it's inline.

BTW, my RR has the mid port not circular, but slightly egg shaped on one side - it's fine and doesn't affect the mid imaging or response. The large port is the highs, the two smaller ones are bass and mid.

May 10, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #490 of 811
I found the opposite. When plugged to a mixing console, the extended response of the UERR is much more accurate than the UERM ever was. You can take out the UERR and the live room almost perfectly matches the sound you were mixing, with the obvious difference of frequencies that it couldn't reproduce. The UERM needs a bit of EQ to make the sound coming out of it match the live sound and even then, it wasn't as accurate in other spots.

The UE Pro Line Drive helps a lot too, as it equalizes the impedance differences between source and monitors. I use a Cayin N3 with the RR but without the Line Drive as it makes too small a difference, but does improve the mid/high mix when it's inline.

BTW, my RR has the mid port not circular, but slightly egg shaped on one side - it's fine and doesn't affect the mid imaging or response. The large port is the highs, the two smaller ones are bass and mid.

Yeah I definitely agree that the frequency response is flatter, more accurate, and more extended. It's more the way the frequencies are divided up that makes the imaging seem different to me, although probably more accurate. Like I said In my previous post, I'm afraid I've listened to the UERMs for so long that it will take me a while to adjust to the RR now. Overall I love the enhanced detail and separation, the difference in spatial rendering will take a bit of getting used to though.

May 10, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #491 of 811
Yeah I definitely agree that the frequency response is flatter, more accurate, and more extended. It's more the way the frequencies are divided up that makes the imaging seem different to me, although probably more accurate. Like I said In my previous post, I'm afraid I've listened to the UERMs for so long that it will take me a while to adjust to the RR now. Overall I love the enhanced detail and separation, the difference in spatial rendering will take a bit of getting used to though.
Are your's universal or customs?

May 13, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #494 of 811
new to head-fi but a long time audio enthusiast. Never realized the forum existed. I guess I was under a rock?! Just got a pair of uerr. They are awesome. I love the sounds stage, separation and overall sound. I wish for certain tracks - i could turn up the bass a bit. But I guess they bring out the truth in the recordings. These were an upgrade to my ue4's. I love the fit - but felt like the sound was missing some depth and clarity. In that regard the uerr deliver. I think I want a pair ue11's to compliment these for certain moods.

Can you give some details regarding the UE4 and the UERR ? Considering the big price difference , not sure which to get

May 13, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #495 of 811
Can you give some details regarding the UE4 and the UERR ? Considering the big price difference , not sure which to get

I bought the ue4 as my first "expensive" set of headphones. I know you can spend a lot more - but until then, the most I spent was 100 bucks. I should have auditioned the various models when i got mine - but I thought I would never spend more than 400 bucks. Then I started down the rabbit hole. After using my UE4 - I wanted something that was fuller, crisper and offered a wider sound stage. Made the jump to add the UERR to my collection.

The sound from the UE4 and the UERR in terms of treble mids and bass is very similar. The UERR has slightly fuller and more complete bass but it is not EQ'd to get the bass really thumping. You will find if the track has significant low end bass the UERR will replicate it, but if the track does not - it will not. So now I have learned which tracks have bass built into them and which do not. A headphone eq'd to bass it - left me thinking more tracks had thumping bass.

As far as clarity - the UERR is masterful, the sound staging and separation are great. The clarity is great. Till now have only been playing them using Tidal and FLAC CD through my ipad and MacBook. I am looking for a DAC/AMP combo to realize more of the ability of the UERR. I think that may really help these little guys shine.

The UE4 is a smaller package and actually a bit more comfortable to wear for longer periods. I think that is because they are lighter and have a lower profile. This was a comment that they guys are UE made when I went there for a demo.

The sound is much better from the UERR. Is it $600 of value - I am not sure and have still not been able to answer that. Since I cant return either one - I just don't let my mind go there. Most of my friends think I am crazy. If I have to pick one to listen to - I prefer the UERR for sure. If I leave one set at work an only have the UE4 - I am not disappointed by any means but prefer the UERR overall.

I also auditioned the UE5 when I was at the UE headquarters. If you want a little more bass or generally prefer more bass than the UE4 - I would go that route. I wish I had one pair of UE5's or UE11's (more bass) and the UERR - there are some tracks that I just appreciate the clarity and reference ability of the UERR.... but sometimes I want to be immersed in a difffernt way - with more kick.

Where are you located? I recommend finding a dealer that has the ability to demo the sound of various units. If you are in Southern California - let me know, I can put you in touch with the dealer I used. he was great to work with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back