Twisted Pear Audio Opus DAC
Feb 21, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #961 of 994
No luck thus far, ive tried all the various combinations of PB1 and PB3 and various suggested settings on the opus. Honestly, it's not a big deal if i cant get the digital volume control to function, i do happen to have an already populated balanced joshua tree, with the firmware (not labeled but hopefully correct).

Feb 21, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #962 of 994
I just accidentally shorted out and fried one of the 8W resistors on my LCDPS, so I have the Opus and Metronome running off of only one half LCDPS. Is this safe?

I'm thinking of replacing it with a single Placid, will it be okay to power the metronome and opus off of one Placid?

Feb 21, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #965 of 994
Quote:
What device do you use to measure the voltage? Where can I buy one cheap? Does the LCDPS and LCBPS come with a device that measures voltage because I've read you're suppose to tweak the voltages of those blue boxes?

I don't mean to sound negative...... but by the way you asked those questions, there is no way in hell you should be building one of these.

Feb 21, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #967 of 994
Sure, but a DAC with power supplies is not a great starter project. You will need to deal with mains power for the transformers, and I don't think you're up to it.

Feb 22, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #968 of 994
i'm afraid i have to agree with beefy here. sure you have to start somewhere, but this isnt it imo

Jun 17, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #969 of 994
I've ordered the basic opus kit(opus, LCDPS, spdif transciever), and the 15VA transformer to go with it. I was bored this morning so I drew a potential plan(yes in Paint), all items are scale.
Here it is:

It's a dual mono opus with metronome.Outline box is 9x14

I have a couple questions thought.

Can the placidBP power both IVYs?

Is this even a feasible setup?

Is dual mono worth it over a single dac setup?

I would great appreciate any comments at all.

Jun 17, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #970 of 994
i dont understand the use of the ivy with opus, opus is a voltage output dac and ivy is for converting current to voltage with low impedance, only needs a buffer yes? maybe not even that, with dual mono opus i would expect the output is pretty respectable. or are you planning to drive headphones with the ivy?

Jun 17, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #971 of 994
The IVY has both current-input and voltage-input.  The voltage inputs feed 2.2K resistors to provide a proper load for the WM8741.  You get a fully-differential buffer with filtering.

Jun 17, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #972 of 994

Quote:
It's a dual mono opus with metronome.Outline box is 9x14

I have a couple questions thought.

Can the placidBP power both IVYs?

Is this even a feasible setup?

Is dual mono worth it over a single dac setup?

I would great appreciate any comments at all.

A single PlacidBP (especially the new HD version) can power both IVY's.

It is a feasible setup.  You will want to be careful with the routing of the I2S signals, especially in regards to power supply wiring.  Try to not cross them.  You may be better off putting the receiver/metro between the opus stacks, and moving the placidBP to the front of the case.

Dual Mono does increase the performance, and many people swear by that.  Whether it will matter to your ears depends on your ears I suppose.

Jun 17, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #973 of 994

Quote:

A single PlacidBP (especially the new HD version) can power both IVY's.

It is a feasible setup.  You will want to be careful with the routing of the I2S signals, especially in regards to power supply wiring.  Try to not cross them.  You may be better off putting the receiver/metro between the opus stacks, and moving the placidBP to the front of the case.

Dual Mono does increase the performance, and many people swear by that.  Whether it will matter to your ears depends on your ears I suppose.

I had a feeling the power and signal wires shouldn't be routed in close proximity, I'm open to setting up in the case however. Would using sheilded wire for the signals be beneficial there?

Just to make sure 2 output stages, in this case the IVYs are needed for a dual mono setup?

Thanks so much for all of your support for your products!

Jun 20, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #974 of 994
Another thing, is it possible to run an opus module, metronome and spdif receiver from a single LCDPS?

Also how would IVY'(s) be wired for a dual mono setup? Would I even need two? I looked around and saw some people using 1 or 2 ivys for dual mono.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back