Tube Suggestions Please
May 4, 2017 at 7:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

theque

100+ Head-Fier
In general I have only owned mobile audio such as my Leckerton uha-6s mkii paired with my Unique Melody Miracle's for when I am on airplanes; I have to travel a lot for business. My wife also has a pair of Shure SE 535-J and Shure SE846 earbuds that she connects to a Oppo HA-S2E.

For my office, and on her nightstand we have a pair of Schiit Modi2U/Magni2U setups. She listens to her earbuds with Binaural Beats while she sleeps.

Recently, we purchased a couple of Over the Ear headphones. I got a pair of Sennheiser HD800S and she got a pair of Philips Fidelio X2 (she wants to upgrade but wants to audition some headphones prior to spending a lot). I, however, have listened to a collegues HD800S headphones on many occasions and knew exactly what I wanted.

Now that we have over the ear headphones, we decided to go ahead and get better DAC/AMPs. As I am familiar with Schiit, and how they honestly recommend what would work best (not the most they can extract from you), I stuck with this great company and purchased two sets of Bifrost Multibit / Lyr 2 with both tubes offered.

I know people have said the Valhalla 2 sounds better with the HD800 series, but I really want the flexibility with a variety of headphones / earbuds I currently own. I also really like the sound of solid state amplifiers for classical music as it seems to be very pure and non altered on a quality recording. However, I do indeed listen to a lot of other music such as Hip Hop (Black Eyed Peas, Pharrell, CeeLo, etc...), Classic Rock (Eagles, Stones, Beetles, etc...), Pop (Charlie Puth, Sara Bareilles, Justin Timberlake, etc...), and I just love most Acoustic music that is recorded well. Basically a variety of music, but not a bass head by any means. However, it seems things like Hip Hop and Classic Rock seem better on a tube than solid state on the HD800S.

What I am looking for is some tubes I can look for on ebay etc... that fit my listening preference that I can kind of play around and "tube roll" a bit. I know things like Holland made Orange Globes and Bugle Boys are always recommended and I have a few on watch to see if I can snag some at a good bargain. Are there any other "less name brand price oriented" tubes I should be looking at? I would like to snag some ~$40 a matched pair tubes that I can experiment with different sounds, but I do not want to end up with super bright tubes that I just wasted $40.

I really appreciate any help, as well as anyone who read that ridiculously long intro before my question,

-Ray

Users who are viewing this thread

Back