Topping A30 Headphone Amplifier
May 18, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #16 of 169
And how does it sound? :D

Hmm.. weird can't find A30 manual, didn't yours come with one? Here's my guesses:

"Hi or Lo working voltage" - hd6xx; Nominal impedance: 300 ohm so I'm guessing hi for full sized headphones? It really makes no audible difference between the different settings?

Increasing the gain increase the noise (noise as in distortion added to signal), so you want to have the gain as low as you can while getting the volume you want.

That doesn't really matter, in theory, might be best to max your amp's volume (the volume pot is basically a resistor, so max volume bypasses it, but rather insignificant in reality) and manage your volume through your pc, but that increases the risk of having your pc sound for some reason increasing and blasting volume though amp & headphones & ears... So likely not worth the risk; plus just try it, if you can't tell the difference it really doesn't matter now does it? :wink:
This is the opposite of what the "theory" is.

You should use the volume knob for your volume (analog) instead of digital volume (computer).

You should set the DAC (D30) to max inside of windows at all times and in your applications, then you control the volume with the knob.
You turn the "gain" up when the volume is at max and the volume is too low (which increases the amount of power by the multiplication of the gain).

It really doesn't change the audio at all haha... I've gotten a replacement A30 from Topping as my first one was faulty, and both of them didn't change the audio quality at all. I've also seen someone else mention on a Massdrop discussion that it didn't change anything for them as well. I guess if thats the case I should just leave it at low... haha

And sweet, the settings I've been using are max pc audio, Low and 0dB gain and 3/4 on the volume knob which seems loud and clear enough for my ears :D

That's about what I use on my setup (D30/A30).
I have also used the A30 now with some other DAC's (Schiit Fulla2 DAC-Out, SMSL M8, SMSL M8a, Schiit Modi Multibit). It sounds great with all of them and I continue to listen it basically all day every day!

May 20, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #17 of 169
This is the opposite of what the "theory" is.
Hmm... yeah you're right, although there's no consensus, most digital volumes seem destructive to signal & the DAC's SNR is also likely worse than your pot... Tested on my Schiits & 400i and either I can hear the difference (low digital volume + amp maxed = more noise) or it's placebo and I just think I hear more noise :wink:

Got the A30 a few days ago, along with new Bosshifi B8 headphones. Quite happy with both! Comparing the Aune's T1 amp to the Topping, the topping seemed, like the Magni, bit less dark sounding & bit clearer than T1. Not sure of the exact extent of the difference, but on 400i headphones, the difference between T1 and Magni seemed more significant than on the AKG K550 or B8s and T1 vs A30. Could just be headphones though...

It would be interesting to do an A/B comparison with the same headphones... Being both amps are 15km from one another and it's different headphones, can't really comment more than that... It's definitely better than the T1's amp, not by an incredible margin though, I'd qualify it as subtle... But as stated Magni vs T1 on 400i was a more evident difference.

I was a bit surprised at its power though, I'm listening bit more than 1/2 volume and given the numbers somewhat expected to be louder; going 3/4 is quite loud, more than I typically listen to, but it's about the same as the T1, I'd have thought it would have been louder... Not that it really matters as I'm getting adequate volume, plus there's the gain settings. :)

So it's definitely a decent amp! Maybe someone less lazy than me will do a more serious comparison! lol :D

Jun 3, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #18 of 169
Hmm... yeah you're right, although there's no consensus, most digital volumes seem destructive to signal & the DAC's SNR is also likely worse than your pot... Tested on my Schiits & 400i and either I can hear the difference (low digital volume + amp maxed = more noise) or it's placebo and I just think I hear more noise :wink:

Got the A30 a few days ago, along with new Bosshifi B8 headphones. Quite happy with both! Comparing the Aune's T1 amp to the Topping, the topping seemed, like the Magni, bit less dark sounding & bit clearer than T1. Not sure of the exact extent of the difference, but on 400i headphones, the difference between T1 and Magni seemed more significant than on the AKG K550 or B8s and T1 vs A30. Could just be headphones though...

It would be interesting to do an A/B comparison with the same headphones... Being both amps are 15km from one another and it's different headphones, can't really comment more than that... It's definitely better than the T1's amp, not by an incredible margin though, I'd qualify it as subtle... But as stated Magni vs T1 on 400i was a more evident difference.

I was a bit surprised at its power though, I'm listening bit more than 1/2 volume and given the numbers somewhat expected to be louder; going 3/4 is quite loud, more than I typically listen to, but it's about the same as the T1, I'd have thought it would have been louder... Not that it really matters as I'm getting adequate volume, plus there's the gain settings. :)

So it's definitely a decent amp! Maybe someone less lazy than me will do a more serious comparison! lol :D

What settings are you using? The A30 has quite a number of combinations for an Amp.
Between the 3.5mm and the 6.35(is that the size?) outputs and the hi/lo setting on the amp + the 9 or 18db gain settings...
For me I listen on 1/2 volume typically on my IEM's with 0db gain and low on the power setting on the 3.5mm output.

Its especially nice for IEM's where a 6.35 - > 3.5mm adapter causes issues with the "triple tip" plugs that contain a mic also. Ive tried it with like 3-4 headphones now and couldnt get any of them to work right across 5-6 different adapters, so the A30 is really perfect if you listen to IEM's alot.
I don't have any high power cans but overall the amp is really transparent and has a great range of volume for low power stuff when its at its lowest settings.

Jun 3, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #19 of 169
Well like you and Pulstura I can't really tell the difference between lo/hi so I'm just using lo, 0dB gain, and the 6.35mm plug. To go back to my earlier power comment, I don't think I can/should attribute volume position to power though, as I think the pots might make a difference (ex: Some pots at 12 o clock give 40% power, some 60% power, etc.), so it's not really a good power indicative... Plus as I mentioned I got plenty of power at 0dB gain so definitely not an issue with Bosshifi B8 or AKG 550!

About the plugs, I think I remember seeing that the 3.5mm didn't have the same specs as 6.35mm output, and indeed volume seemed to take a hit with the 3.5mm...

Maximum output power
1551mW x 2 (PO=Hi, 6.35 output, RL=32Ω,THD+N=1%) vs 757mW x 2 (PO=Hi, 3.5 output, RL=32Ω,THD+N=1%)
291mW x 2 (PO=Hi, 6.35 output, RL=300Ω,THD+N=1%) vs 258mW x 2 (PO=Hi, 3.5 output, RL=300Ω,THD+N=1%)
152mW x 2 (PO=Hi, 6.35 output, RL=600Ω,THD+N=1%) vs 143mW x 2 (PO=Hi, 3.5 output, RL=600Ω,THD+N=1%)

Any idea why? And while we were talking about optimal performance, given the above, wouldn't 6.5mm output be preferable?

Oh, and somewhat simplistic comment; it's a plus that it's power switch is on the front of the unit... I don't know why the Magni, T1, etc., have the power switch behind the unit... I guess looks, but it's just so much more practical to have it in front!

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #20 of 169
Well like you and Pulstura I can't really tell the difference between lo/hi so I'm just using lo, 0dB gain, and the 6.35mm plug. To go back to my earlier power comment, I don't think I can/should attribute volume position to power though, as I think the pots might make a difference (ex: Some pots at 12 o clock give 40% power, some 60% power, etc.), so it's not really a good power indicative... Plus as I mentioned I got plenty of power at 0dB gain so definitely not an issue with Bosshifi B8 or AKG 550!

About the plugs, I think I remember seeing that the 3.5mm didn't have the same specs as 6.35mm output, and indeed volume seemed to take a hit with the 3.5mm...

Maximum output power
1551mW x 2 (PO=Hi, 6.35 output, RL=32Ω,THD+N=1%) vs 757mW x 2 (PO=Hi, 3.5 output, RL=32Ω,THD+N=1%)
291mW x 2 (PO=Hi, 6.35 output, RL=300Ω,THD+N=1%) vs 258mW x 2 (PO=Hi, 3.5 output, RL=300Ω,THD+N=1%)
152mW x 2 (PO=Hi, 6.35 output, RL=600Ω,THD+N=1%) vs 143mW x 2 (PO=Hi, 3.5 output, RL=600Ω,THD+N=1%)

Any idea why? And while we were talking about optimal performance, given the above, wouldn't 6.5mm output be preferable?

Oh, and somewhat simplistic comment; it's a plus that it's power switch is on the front of the unit... I don't know why the Magni, T1, etc., have the power switch behind the unit... I guess looks, but it's just so much more practical to have it in front!

Yes I love that the power switch is on the front.
But no you dont want to have the amp on more power, it doesn't make a difference. But if it was on more power and you had to have the pot lower, well lower on the pot just has a higher chance for channel imbalance. So if the amp is in low mode and thats enough volume for you then its fine.
Personally I havent tried hi power mode but I'll try it when I'm back at home.
Mostly I just leave it and listen to it all day every day and adjust the volume as needed!

I probably have 1000 hours of playtime on mine already haha

Jun 19, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #21 of 169
The A30 just about powers the Hifiman Susvara, but not the fullest bass compared to a speaker amp.

High gain and High power, volume is around 1 o'clock

Jun 19, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #22 of 169
The A30 just about powers the Hifiman Susvara, but not the fullest bass compared to a speaker amp.

High gain and High power, volume is around 1 o'clock

Max gain? Thats pretty crazy power output lol

Holy crap those headphones are $6000!

Well I would say that the A30 is pretty good to be able to power a $6000 PM headphone LOL

Jun 19, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #23 of 169
Max gain? Thats pretty crazy power output lol

Holy crap those headphones are $6000!

Well I would say that the A30 is pretty good to be able to power a $6000 PM headphone LOL

*Just about powers them :D

But yeah pretty impressive output.

Jun 26, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #25 of 169
Mmmm Burson V5i D opamps in the A30, currently running them in

LRM_EXPORT_20170626_105840.jpg

Jun 26, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #27 of 169
Cool stuff! Interested to know how it sounds compared to the stock TI OP amps.

I'm not a huge believer in massive night and day differences between opamps, previous experience being with a simple cmoy amp.

But if you have the money, the Burson opamps make a remarkable difference.

The soundstage is much more immersive and the bass has so much texture.

Jun 26, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #28 of 169
I'm not a huge believer in massive night and day differences between opamps, previous experience being with a simple cmoy amp.

But if you have the money, the Burson opamps make a remarkable difference.

The soundstage is much more immersive and the bass has so much texture.

I see, well did you compare it with the stock OpAmp's before?

Jun 26, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #29 of 169
I see, well did you compare it with the stock OpAmp's before?

I listened to it stock for quite a while, then popped the Burson in and was quite amazed.

Yes it's not night and day, but a definite step up over the stock, the stock just sounds a bit forced and closed in. The Burson is more effortless and open sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back