Tidal Lossless Streaming
Jul 16, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #3,556 of 5,201
I took a break and then turned it back on, now it will only play through uapp again. I'm not sure why.

Before I powered down, all sound was being routed to the mojo, including tidal offline streaming content and YouTube videos. After rebooting, it only wants to play audio from uapp. I'm so confused.

This is starting to feel like more trouble than it's worth. The Shures are super easy to drive, so even though the mojo really helps the punchiness and imaging, I'm not sure it's worth the hoops I'll have to jump through as an Android user who wants to use Tidal exclusively (and would strongly prefer an offline streaming option for most situations). It looks as though I need to be in the market for a new iphone for this to be a portable audio solution for my intended uses.
You need to go in UAPP and disable Use USB DAC when you want to stream from the tidal app. Or you can do like others have suggested and cancel when it ask you if you want to use UAPP. I couldn't close all the way out and get it to play without disconnecting the mojo then reconnecting.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #3,557 of 5,201
I'm new to Tidal. I'm trying to get my current portable setup to jive nicely with Tidal but I'm not having the best of luck. Perhaps some in here can shed some light.

I'm trying to use Tidal to stream hifi files on: Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge > Chord Mojo > Shure SE846

I was told in another thread that I need UAPP in order to play anything from Tidal through the Chord Mojo. My question is, is this functionality restricted to just online streaming content? As it stands today, is there still no way to enjoy Tidal "offline" content through the mojo?

Any additional information on getting Tidal to play nicely with my mojo would be awesome.

Welcome to the jungle with Android USB audio driver. The only difference with you I am using the Oneplus 3 device that comes with default android USB audio driver and this is not good as after Android 5.x this driver upsamples all digital files and you get a bad sound quality with Mojo.
I hope your S7 Edge has a different driver if not my experience will apply to you.

UAPP is fantastic as it replaces default Android USB audio driver and it provides a bit-perfect transmission to Mojo so you get the most and best of Mojo, but it only applies to Tidal streaming and not to Tidal offline content you may have downloaded (UAPP didn't reach an agreement with Tidal for this). When at home I use my Android device with Chromecast Audio (CCA) using Tidal (online and offline) and CCA connected to Mojo through Toslink, another bit-perfect transmission. Sometimes I use Tidal online with UAPP and cable-connected to Mojo.
When traveling, then I need to go back to my iPod 5 Gen (iOS 9.3.5) to play Tidal offline to Mojo, but I would like to have only one device (the Android one) for Tidal online and offline and UAPP sound quality, if you find it please share it with us.

I love Mojo and I use it with IEMs (Ety ER4PT) and Planar (MrSpeakers Ether Flow), it's worth and much much much better than default Android/iPod/iPad sound output. I only use IEMs directly attached to iPad/Android when seeing TV Shows and Youtube videos.

Jul 18, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #3,558 of 5,201
hello to all,

i'm using hugo2 with imac and tidal hifi. i'd like to confirm that exclusive mode enables direct communication from tidal to dac bypassing all osx interference//settings? here tidal has full control of the dac.

also does exclusive mode in any way change the way the hugo2's asynchrous usb timing works or any other internal workings of the dac? thanks to all

Jul 19, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #3,559 of 5,201
Welcome to the jungle with Android USB audio driver. The only difference with you I am using the Oneplus 3 device that comes with default android USB audio driver and this is not good as after Android 5.x this driver upsamples all digital files and you get a bad sound quality with Mojo.
I hope your S7 Edge has a different driver if not my experience will apply to you.

UAPP is fantastic as it replaces default Android USB audio driver and it provides a bit-perfect transmission to Mojo so you get the most and best of Mojo, but it only applies to Tidal streaming and not to Tidal offline content you may have downloaded (UAPP didn't reach an agreement with Tidal for this). When at home I use my Android device with Chromecast Audio (CCA) using Tidal (online and offline) and CCA connected to Mojo through Toslink, another bit-perfect transmission. Sometimes I use Tidal online with UAPP and cable-connected to Mojo.
When traveling, then I need to go back to my iPod 5 Gen (iOS 9.3.5) to play Tidal offline to Mojo, but I would like to have only one device (the Android one) for Tidal online and offline and UAPP sound quality, if you find it please share it with us.

I love Mojo and I use it with IEMs (Ety ER4PT) and Planar (MrSpeakers Ether Flow), it's worth and much much much better than default Android/iPod/iPad sound output. I only use IEMs directly attached to iPad/Android when seeing TV Shows and Youtube videos.

Yeah I'm starting to learn the intricacies of Android + UAPP + Tidal slowly but surely the more I use it. I can definitely tell a big difference between the bit perfect uapp output to mojo vs straight from tidal, but in situations where I don't have internet (mainly during flights) it will have to do I suppose.

Jul 20, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #3,560 of 5,201
I took a break and then turned it back on, now it will only play through uapp again. I'm not sure why.

Before I powered down, all sound was being routed to the mojo, including tidal offline streaming content and YouTube videos. After rebooting, it only wants to play audio from uapp. I'm so confused.

This is starting to feel like more trouble than it's worth. The Shures are super easy to drive, so even though the mojo really helps the punchiness and imaging, I'm not sure it's worth the hoops I'll have to jump through as an Android user who wants to use Tidal exclusively (and would strongly prefer an offline streaming option for most situations). It looks as though I need to be in the market for a new iphone for this to be a portable audio solution for my intended uses.

UAPP won't play offline Tidal files but you shouldn't have any problems with the Tidal app itself in this regard through the Mojo. I understand what you mean about the whole external USB DAC thing being a bit of a pain in the arse though. I eventually got an LG V10 which has excellent audio quality without the need for an external DAC. Not quite up to Mojo performance but not far off.

Jul 20, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #3,561 of 5,201
UAPP won't play offline Tidal files but you shouldn't have any problems with the Tidal app itself in this regard through the Mojo. I understand what you mean about the whole external USB DAC thing being a bit of a pain in the arse though. I eventually got an LG V10 which has excellent audio quality without the need for an external DAC. Not quite up to Mojo performance but not far off.

Wait until the v30. I'm absolutely buying one. The DAC in that should be incredible.

Jul 22, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #3,564 of 5,201
So I just bought usb audio player pro on the Android store and am using it with Tidal HiFi to stream music using my Schiit fulla 2. Problem is it says 44100 hz 320 kbps for every song I have played so far. Even for songs that are master quality on the desktop windows app. What gives? Why am I getting 320 when I am paying for HiFi? That's the same as spotify

Edit nevermind, not actually sure how I got to it but in a certain screen I hit the setting button and it asked me what quality to play tidal. It was on aac I think so I changed it to the highest. Now I'm getting 24 bit 1652 kbps and damn does it sound amazing. What a difference between this and 320 kbps!

And dumb question: I'm bypassing my phone's dac entirely right or is music being processed through both? The phone first then the fulla 2?

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #3,565 of 5,201
So my Tidal seems to lose all Chesky Records tracks I favorited. Anyone experience this?

Aug 7, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #3,566 of 5,201
is anyone getting distortion with exclusive mode? tried 2 computers with my chord hugo 2 same result?

Aug 7, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #3,567 of 5,201
Has anyone had an issue with the Tidal desktop app not seeing your output device? Windows sees the output device fine. The Tidal web streamer plays fine... sometimes after a restart it will work until I put my computer to sleep. Audio chain is PC -> Eitr -> Gumby -> Freya -> Jotunheim/LSR305's

Aug 12, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #3,569 of 5,201
Hi

I tried to sign up to the high-quality Tidal service on Tidal.Com and it says the domain has expired. Any ideas?

Regards

Darren

I would think it's an issue with your web browser. It works for me on Safari and Chrome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back