Those who waiting Xin amp, post and get your date of arrival !
Feb 6, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #3,916 of 3,962
this thread should always still be around to serve as a warning to people to not place an order with xin, his site is still up and accepting orders, so as long as that is the case this thread should be kept alive. just the fact that he still has the site up with payment info is a sign to me that there is no doubt the man is a thieving gypsy. sure some people have received refunds from him, but only some and if he were truly just over worked, then surely removing the ability to make orders would be a good idea?? no??

Feb 27, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #3,917 of 3,962
Too bad it had to turn out this way. I bought a Supermini IV back in Jan. '08, well before he disappeared. I received it in 3 months (and at the time I thought THAT was a long wait). I've been using it regularly since then and I don't have any complaints. It's a great portable amp. Maybe this was his plan all along. Build up a good reputation, and then disappear while scamming as many people as possible.

What brings me back to this Xin thread is, recently I started hearing some static/audio cutting in and out when inserting and moving my headphone jack around. I'm not sure if it's my Ety's or the amp itself, but just in case, I'm looking for potential repair options. I searched for Xin and this is one of the threads I found. There's no way in hell I'm sending my amp back to Xin, though.

Feb 27, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #3,918 of 3,962
Smart move.
Xin is on the "do not buy from list". Even though it is a mystery why Xin has vanished off the face of the earth, most people who have asked for their money back, have received it. I got mine back in late 2008, and people have reported getting a refund as close as this past Christmas.
So, although I, as a Moderator would highly not purchasing form him until he is back on track (which is stating the obvious, but for nooB's this advice can be quite helpful), he is not a crook, unless there are people who have requested a refund and not gotten it and I don't know about it), but obviously, he is going through a bad patch which has disabled him from being a current amp builder.

But for those of you who need a repair, I would recommend highly, that you do not send your unit back to him, unless you have definitive correspondence with him, and he has assured you a timeline, and no money exchanges hands until you receive your unit back.

Like in the case with Mikhail's amps, others need to be sought out, that are capable and willing to fix a portable.

Maybe someone who has found somebody, can chime in here and make recommendations based upon their own personal experience and not just "hearsay". If Xin has posted his schematics somewhere on the web, then a decent troubleshooter should be able to figure out the cause of the problem (broken trace, bad resistor/capacitor or even a bad charging circuit).

Feb 27, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #3,919 of 3,962
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... he is not a crook, unless there are people who have requested a refund and not gotten it and I don't know about it)

I see. I take back what I said in my previous post, then. Still, I wish he would at least make an official statement on the forum of his website.

Mar 3, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #3,920 of 3,962
Wow..I had not idea. Guess it wasnt a good move on my part to purchase an amp just recently. I guess I'll be requesting a refund and buying a different amp, SuperMicroIV was going to be my first amp >.<

Mar 3, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #3,921 of 3,962

Quote:
Wow..I had not idea. Guess it wasnt a good move on my part to purchase an amp just recently. I guess I'll be requesting a refund and buying a different amp, SuperMicroIV was going to be my first amp >.<

Did any money actually go out or did you give a card number for the order?

Mar 4, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #3,922 of 3,962
I placed an order 3 years ago for a SuperMini IV and haven't been charged for it or seen it yet.  I haven't canceled the order either, just in case, but the card I used expires soon...  
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 4, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #3,923 of 3,962
I don't like the IV as much as the previous one. Too bad my 3 was converted to a IV. I found the sound of the previous version to be more alive. 

I remember when I was at Xin's house and in his work area there was a long stacked line of packages that were amps to be fixed or updated. I wonder what ever happened to those? There must have been 30 or more. My LE was in there as well but I never saw it again. 

Mar 4, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #3,924 of 3,962
I still marvel at the SuperMicro.  Not the most beautiful and sturdy of amps, but amazing sound for something so small.  I still use it in rotation with RSA Shadow and P51.  I haven't used my SuperMacro IV in ages.   Maybe it's the eight batteries and having to charge them.  Portable amps have become so much lighter....

I really wonder what happened to Xin.   I used to email him back and forth quite a bit back in the day....and then nothing.

Jamato, you hear from him, right?

Mar 4, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #3,925 of 3,962
Did any money actually go out or did you give a card number for the order?

I used my card through pay pal, and it was charged. I emailed the contact email requesting a refund the other day but I have a feeling I'm going to be calling paypal and having them issue a charge-back for the purchase.

Mar 4, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #3,926 of 3,962

Quote:
kiwirugby said:

Jamato, you hear from him, right?

No. He doesn't reply any longer. A friend of his in China hasn't heard from him in a couple of years. The thing I got from him was some adapters to use the HA5002 in a standard socket. Even that surprised me. I once emailed him and he thought I was coming by his house and he said simply, "sure". 

When I would visit him he always had out sheets of op amps and studied all of them to get to the ones he liked best. One book he had compiled of pdfs was over 2 inches thick of just op amps! There were other issues that I can't go into, but his main love was/is computers. 

Mar 4, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #3,927 of 3,962

Quote:
I still marvel at the SuperMicro.  Not the most beautiful and sturdy of amps, but amazing sound for something so small.  I still use it in rotation with RSA Shadow and P51.

I have a couple of large caps that was used for the Reference.  Instead of leaving it there for nothing my brother stucked it on his supermicro4.  Yes he cap is almost the size of the amp but hey, its still small.  Amazing amp with or without the extra cap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back