thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea
Jun 21, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #2,626 of 4,190
Just plug in the optical cable - there is nothing to select. it will also work with output set to balanced, which is great for me as I use optical to Hugo and balanced headphones.
I dont own the opus, but am wondering, is there a way to select line out then? Does it auto detect optical, but you have to manually select line out?

Jun 21, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #2,627 of 4,190
I dont own the opus, but am wondering, is there a way to select line out then? Does it auto detect optical, but you have to manually select line out?
Optical is constantly straming data (as far as I know) from the Line Out/Headphone Jack. So when you plug-in optical, there is only the balanced out left to connect anything to. Otherwise Line Out mode only means it uses max volume on the headphone out (which essentially translates to Line Out). Line Out mode can be selected by swiping from the top, where you have sleep mode, balanced, etc.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #2,629 of 4,190
But it's not a true line out? Meaning it just sets the volume to highest, and still goes through the headphone amp, not bypassing it like a true line out?

Jun 21, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #2,630 of 4,190
But it's not a true line out? Meaning it just sets the volume to highest, and still goes through the headphone amp, not bypassing it like a true line out?

It seems so, but even if that is the case I found it very neutral feeding it to my Cayin 265ai class A amp with KEF Q300 using RCA cable. Just make sure that you set line out in the setting shortcut.

Jun 22, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #2,631 of 4,190
There is no high impedance output with a separate circuit, so no true line out. If you want such a feature from a portable DAP that is built for headphones and earphones, you would need a separate amp having this feature. It works perfectly fine as a line out with its 2 ohms from the unbalanced circuit, imho.

Jun 22, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #2,632 of 4,190
There is no high impedance output with a separate circuit, so no true line out. If you want such a feature from a portable DAP that is built for headphones and earphones, you would need a separate amp having this feature. It works perfectly fine as a line out with its 2 ohms from the unbalanced circuit, imho.

I agree, i have a fiio x7 with dedicated line out and the opus 1, the fiio is a digital co ax line out and standard 3.5mm line out the opus1 optical line out still sounds better in my opinion .

Jun 22, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #2,635 of 4,190
Anybody use Mojo with their Opus? Is there any improvement?

Jun 22, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #2,637 of 4,190
Don't even have the #1 in yet (couple of days I guess), but I wondered: is it worth getting an extra balanced cable for (c)iems to use with this dap?
Or is the difference with the SE output negligible?

Jun 22, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #2,638 of 4,190
smooth and a little dark(yea i know, i have strange ears)

and do you rip the files from cd? any good software? winamp?
Daaaark? What headphones are you using?
I mostly buy music online, have ripped a few with iTunes to AIFF, from which I convert using http://www.mediahuman.com/audio-converter/ (amazing tool for free)
Some say there are better ways (softwares like Easy Audio Copy) but I see no issues with this, especially considering how little I need conversion nowdays.

Jun 22, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #2,639 of 4,190
Don't even have the #1 in yet (couple of days I guess), but I wondered: is it worth getting an extra balanced cable for (c)iems to use with this dap?
Or is the difference with the SE output negligible?
I will soon make a balanced cable to test it but there should be very minimal difference. The balanced out is 1 ohm whereas the regular one has 2 ohms and the balanced out gives more power which would somewhat improve signal/noise in theory. I know there would be minimal difference but I also know I have to try it out, can't help myself :D

Jun 22, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #2,640 of 4,190
I will soon make a balanced cable to test it but there should be very minimal difference. The balanced out is 1 ohm whereas the regular one has 2 ohms and the balanced out gives more power which would somewhat improve signal/noise in theory. I know there would be minimal difference but I also know I have to try it out, can't help myself :D

I have tried my opus1 with trinity master balanced and unbalanced 3.5mm i would say there is a difference on the master , more control on top end better sub bass and slightly more detail overall...i wouldn't say it was night and day on the trinity master but definitely there.
It might be even more beneficial on higher end iems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back