thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea
Jun 10, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #2,596 of 4,190
Thank you ... I'll explain a little more about my own situation. I have been using my Fiio X5 for a couple of years and just got the #1. I have 2 x 128 gig SD cards basically full of aiff files. I have yet to slot these into the #1. I want to understand the #1 a little better before I do this as it 'might' be a little risky. The Opus folks have told me that these FAT32 formatted and loaded cards "usually" work without a problem. 'Usually' being the operative word. No guarantees. So I've been experimenting solely with the #1's onboard memory. On the 'cards' end of things, all the aiff files have artist, album, genre embedded, but only a small percentage of album art ... for some unknown reason. At least that is what shows up on my Fiio. I've never really cared enough about the artwork to bother investigating.
I just did a search for kid3 and I can likely figure out how to work with it. The main problem is ... I'm in L.A., and the only access I have to all my 200 odd gig worth of files (other than a small amount on my laptop) is on the cards ... in my Fiio. Everything else is in Ottawa, Canada, on my iMac ... so working with kid3, and converting all of them using XLD is likely not an option for quite a while.
I take it you are talking about initializing the database on the #1? (DOH !! :) ) I have one file on the #1 at the moment. I did the 'DB initialize' thing and nothing changed as far as the file goes.
This is the very first exposure I've had with Android. I live in an Apple ecosystem, which is wonderful (for me at least, when it comes to making things super easy for us 'not so tech literate' folks), but it's not without it's downside when it comes to trying to integrate with the outside world :)
I hope this helps you understand. Sorry for the 'book' here, but it's the only way I can explain what's going on. I really appreciate your help on this. I'm wondering if this whole Android issue is going to be a show stopper for me. The Fiio I/F is horrid, to say the least, but I know it inside/out now. It's definitely a 'first world problem' I know :)
Thanks again ... fred

Just throwing in my 2 cents. I have DSD, FLAC, ALAC, MP3 files in my cards and I usually tag them with Tag&Rename software (portable). They're are all working well and all the artists, song titles, album names, album arts, etc. on them are displaying well on my opus#1. Haven't tried AIFF files though. I don't use that DB Initialize function in the settings menu. I just make sure the screen of the DAP is on whenever I insert the cards so that the library/database update starts immediately. You'll see the indicator on the status bar. Sometimes when I insert a card when the screen is off, the update won't start immediately that's why I played around a little and found this method. I hope you'll eventually figure out your way into working with the DAP.

Jun 10, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #2,597 of 4,190
Thank you !! There seems to be so much that is not covered in the manual ... So ... the #1 is ON when you insert your SD cards ?? I would have thought that it should be off, but I'm happy to have this info. So the DB initialize is so the #1 'sees' the files on the cards? I'm guessing that this is the equivalent to 'update media library' in the Fiio world ??
I take it that Tag&Rename is not something that can be loaded onto the #1 and used to tag and rename. I'm wondering if I could install it on my laptop, hook up my Fiio, open up and work on the data files on the cards ?? MAYBE I could download all the files, convert the diff files to a smaller file type (without any 'loss'), tag, rename, and then load them back onto the cards ... From your experience, any idea if this sounds doable ??
Thanks again for the 2 cents. Pennies add up and I'm feeling like I'm getting somewhere !! Thanks !!

Jun 10, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #2,598 of 4,190
Thank you !! There seems to be so much that is not covered in the manual ... So ... the #1 is ON when you insert your SD cards ?? I would have thought that it should be off, but I'm happy to have this info. So the DB initialize is so the #1 'sees' the files on the cards? I'm guessing that this is the equivalent to 'update media library' in the Fiio world ??
I take it that Tag&Rename is not something that can be loaded onto the #1 and used to tag and rename. I'm wondering if I could install it on my laptop, hook up my Fiio, open up and work on the data files on the cards ?? MAYBE I could download all the files, convert the diff files to a smaller file type (without any 'loss'), tag, rename, and then load them back onto the cards ... From your experience, any idea if this sounds doable ??
Thanks again for the 2 cents. Pennies add up and I'm feeling like I'm getting somewhere !! Thanks !!

Yes, something like that. But I have had issues with that DB Initialize function before. In some instances, they made the player crash and I couldn't exit from the settings menu. The one I mentioned above was better for me and updates the library in real time. When I mentioned the DAP must be on, I literally meant to say that the screen should be on. I also owned a FiiO DAP (X3ii) before and using the Opus#1 is way better.

Tag&Rename is a windows software. I'm not sure if there's one available for MAC. Anyway, I use the software for tagging my files on my drive, not directly on the Opus#1.

Jun 15, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #2,599 of 4,190
Hey guys I keep occasionally getting an error "android has stopped working" im not certain but i think possibly this is occurring after leaving in sleep mode , i will test the theory by turning off completely over the next few days.
Has anyone else had this error?

Jun 15, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #2,600 of 4,190
Yeah, this happens from time to time on nearly all Android-based DAPs. It's just a crash. Usually the device doesn't even need to be rebooted, it's already recovered and ready for you to select a new song to play.

Jun 15, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #2,601 of 4,190
Yeah, this happens from time to time on nearly all Android-based DAPs. It's just a crash. Usually the device doesn't even need to be rebooted, it's already recovered and ready for you to select a new song to play.

Yes that's exactly it and yes i never need to reboot , as you say it doesn't seem a major issue just a niggle.
Love this little player though.

Jun 15, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #2,602 of 4,190
Yes that's exactly it and yes i never need to reboot , as you say it doesn't seem a major issue just a niggle.
Love this little player though.

It happens on the Opus#2, as well. It is annoying, but not devastatingly so. :)

Jun 17, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #2,604 of 4,190
Have had my unit for a few days now. I notice that the current FW is build 2.00.00, which according to the download log is the lollipop install. The current FW appears to be 2.00.07. Do you have to install each successive version, or can you just 'jump' to 2.00.07 directly?

This is an impressive DAP, but is very 'bright'..almost to the point of being strident and fatiguing with some earphones.. does ii 'calm down' after burn in?

Thanks in advance for any comments on this.

Jun 17, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #2,605 of 4,190
I don't think that you have to update each version but i could be wrong.
Mine was on 2 .00.00 and I'm pretty certain i just updated to 2.00.06 i think? though cant remember exactly.
As for the brightness the dap is pretty neutral so in my opinion it is dependant on what your pairing it with , though i have yet to find it fatiguing with anything I have paired it with.

Jun 17, 2017 at 8:07 AM Post #2,606 of 4,190
Have had my unit for a few days now. I notice that the current FW is build 2.00.00, which according to the download log is the lollipop install. The current FW appears to be 2.00.07. Do you have to install each successive version, or can you just 'jump' to 2.00.07 directly?

This is an impressive DAP, but is very 'bright'..almost to the point of being strident and fatiguing with some earphones.. does ii 'calm down' after burn in?

You can directly update to the latest firmware and no need to install early firmware. I also found the Opus#1 to be bright and with less bass to my liking, my solution is to use my Fiio E12A amp with bass boost and in high gain using the LZ-A4 with red back filter to have the tight bass impact (not bass booming). I do not consider myself a basshead, just want impact in lows.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #2,607 of 4,190
Lol I'd call this amp pretty close to neutral with a bit of emphasis in the mids with smooth, this thing makes bright earphones sound tame so not sure what's going on for you guys. We all hear differently though

Jun 17, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #2,608 of 4,190

I believe that updates are cumulative so incrementally updating shouldn't be necessary, once you have the main version number updated, but don't quote me on that. Just tested this and successfully jumped a copule versions to 2.00.07

I have had steady impression of the sound since I got it (not that I would have noticed if it did change). Might just need to give your ears a few weeks to adjust?

Lol I'd call this amp pretty close to neutral with a bit of emphasis in the mids with smooth, this thing makes bright earphones sound tame so not sure what's going on for you guys. We all hear differently though

Yeah I also find the sound neutralish (maybe ever so slightly warm) and almost too smooth (kind of similar to Walkmen of last few years), but it never ceases to surprise me how differently people can hear certain things. Though, have had one or two IEMs like my Panasonic HDE-10-S that I percieve to sound uncharacteristically on the thin side with Opus, could be something like that?

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #2,609 of 4,190
I believe that updates are cumulative so incrementally updating shouldn't be necessary, once you have the main version number updated, but don't quote me on that.

I have had steady impression of the sound since I got it (not that I would have noticed if it did change). Might just need to give your ears a few weeks to adjust?

Yeah I also find the sound neutralish (maybe ever so slightly warm) and almost too smooth (kind of similar to Walkmen of last few years), but it never ceases to surprise me how differently people can hear certain things. Though, have had one or two IEMs like my Panasonic HDE-10-S that I percieve to uncharacteristically sound a little on the thin side with Opus.

I like it's smoothness and agree with some iems it can sound a bit thin, i also have a fiio x7 which does sound more full but i still think the opus 1 resolves better and when I listen a/b the opus 1 just sounds more natural and would say more how the track/song should be .
Im realy impressed with this dap,
I have been pairing it at the moment with a pair of fostex t50rp, now in no way does the opus drive the fostex efficiently even the fiio cant, it is noted as a harder to drive headphone but what i am Getting out of it is glorious, vocals sound so natural and micro detail is all there....just wish the opus had a bit more power to give it some body.
All in all though a fantastic dap and if anyone asked me which i would choose x7 or opus1 i would choose the opus 1 simply because it sounds more organic.

Jun 17, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #2,610 of 4,190

the only condition for an incremental upgrade was IF you have a firmware before 2.0 - but since you already have lollipop, you can install directly the x.07 version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back