THE Ultimate Step-By-Step Hifiman Headband Replacement Guide from OLDSTOCK Hifiman (HE-4/5LE/6/400/500) into the NEWSTOCK (HE-400i/560) !!!
Mar 25, 2017 at 1:28 AM Post #136 of 180
Just to reconfirm HiFiMAN's policy of not selling just the headband, here's my recent exchange with Mark in customer service:

"Greetings.

Is it possible to buy just the headband for the HE-560 (or HE-400i; should be the same, yes?)?  The plastic yoke on mine snapped and is currently held together with Super glue and electrical tape.  I'm not confident that solution will hold up over time.

If I can buy just the headband, how much is it?  I've read in the past that they were $50.

Thanks."

[rule]
"Hi there, we do offer a headband replacement service that is indeed US$50 plus US$30 for the return shipping to you.  We dont however make the parts available to the public, we would have to carry out the actual replacement for you.  Would that be okay with you?

Mark"

[rule]
"No thanks.  I'm quite capable of doing the job myself, and don't want to be without my headphones.  I guess if it breaks and I can't fix it adequately, I'll look to a different headphone manufacturer.  Feel free to pass that up the chain to Fang Bian.

Sincerely,

an owner of three different HiFiMAN headphones"

[rule]
And I'm quite sincere.  Wish I'd found this thread back in the day.  OTOH, the Audeze pads are the best I've tried (and I've tried a lot of different pads), but it took some doing to get the Vegans to fit on my HE-560s.  No such problem with the lambskin on the HE-500s, so I'm not sure I would go with the new headband.

That's a shame, then again, I didn't think the mod would take off the way it has!

Mar 31, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #137 of 180
Been lurking the thread for a couple of days.

My HE-500 headband broke recently and I been looking for ways to fix it. I also contacted Hifiman about the replacement. It's crazy that they wanted me to ship it all the way to china when the cost of shipping would be way more than the repair cost of the headset.

I been searching the forums and it seems like the using HE-350 as a transplant is the one of the only reasonable option to repair the headset.

I was wondering, is there anyway to re-attach the screw onto the headband? I'm not too comfortable soldering and also I would also have to grab a soldering kit since I don't have one.

Apr 1, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #140 of 180
  Thank you for letting me know.

I guess I'll be on the lookout for a HE-350 and practice soldering while I search for it. 

There are a few in the For Sale forum, and I saw one on Amazon.

Apr 4, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #142 of 180
Well, got a HE-350 from the trade forum. Hopefully it works out and I won't mess **** up when replacing the headbands of the HE-500

Just take your time and be clean. Make sure your work area is clean and free of ALL metallic items. The magnets are strong on these drivers. Also be sure to keep the drivers separated a good distance during the procedure.

Apr 30, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #143 of 180
If any of you are interested, I found some 3D printer models for replacement earpad rings. I made a few and they work great! They look like this (originals on the left):
File_002.jpeg

You can find the files here:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1784520

He says to use PLA filament, but I used ABS in mine, and I think they're a bit sturdier.

Aug 29, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #146 of 180
On the left - sacrificed a he350. Hifiman Old and new combined

On the right - audeze and a he6 mated. This is their offspring. Which is my fav!

Any chance of a tutorial? Look pretty easy, but I just want to know for sure

Sep 13, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #147 of 180
Just a quick update, I recently bought a HE400i headband direct from Hifiman and did the mod in two hours. Hard part was one of the drivers was glued in and took some gentle but persistent pressure to get apart. After the mod was complete and I was using the headphones again, I noticed that the headband had come with metal cups on the each end of the part that gets inserted into the cups, they hard for me to see at first. I plan to take these off of the headband and glue (superglue?) these into the holes in the cups. Hopefully, this step will reduce wear and tear on the plastic parts.

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #150 of 180
Just to clarify things... At first I thought that the headband turned inside the metal caps on the ends. But no, on further exam they are pushed tight and do not turn. One of them was not pushed on fully so I thought at first glance that the plastic swiveled inside the metal cap. So I will not be gluing them into the cups. I just made sure that they are fully on the ends of the headband. And also to be clear, the headband I got from HIFIman was the HE-400i headband. I was told that these are available again to buy separately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back