The Stax Thread III
May 27, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #12,166 of 25,424
What I meant was whether it would scale with the kgsshv, Carbon, T2 in that sense. Am currently using a basic SRM252s amp for it.

The notion would certainly imply so. I haven't heard those Lamdas and so I'd rather avoid conjecture.

Last edited:
May 28, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #12,168 of 25,424
I may , just may get a pair of 007 Mkii to complement the lambda. Or should I get a used pair of 009? Listen to metal mostly. And have a tubed Audio Note 4.1 Dac, parasound zdac and bimby to Dac roll.

Knowing your DAC I would say go 009s. It has more energy up top but you will be fine, and you can tube roll to tweak things a bit. I used an NOS Mullard ECL82 on the PS to great effect, and the Bendix 6X5 equivalent expanded the dynamics and bass depth. I would take care on used 009s though, some folk have bought used and had imbalance issues after. Having said that the current 007A I got from PJ is faster and more alive than the old MK2 I had, and out of the Carbon it rocks. It is closer to the 009s best traits than the old version IMO, It avoids the odd veiled treble and boomy bass of my old MK2. So what am I saying? If not enough funds for a new 009, go new 007A 2017 model, my opinion. The 007 is a hungry beast but the Carbon wakes it up Ha Ha.

May 28, 2017 at 4:33 AM Post #12,169 of 25,424
Knowing your DAC I would say go 009s. It has more energy up top but you will be fine, and you can tube roll to tweak things a bit. I used an NOS Mullard ECL82 on the PS to great effect, and the Bendix 6X5 equivalent expanded the dynamics and bass depth. I would take care on used 009s though, some folk have bought used and had imbalance issues after. Having said that the current 007A I got from PJ is faster and more alive than the old MK2 I had, and out of the Carbon it rocks. It is closer to the 009s best traits than the old version IMO, It avoids the odd veiled treble and boomy bass of my old MK2. So what am I saying? If not enough funds for a new 009, go new 007A 2017 model, my opinion. The 007 is a hungry beast but the Carbon wakes it up Ha Ha.

Thanks, Julian. I will try to tube roll a bit with my ANK4.1. Finally managed to get the top off so i'll be eBaying for quite a bit in search for that tube or three :)

May 28, 2017 at 7:09 AM Post #12,170 of 25,424
No, MSB. I've never tried any of Naim's products but may look into it if I can find a dealer.

Cory, how you finding the MSB V? Is that a keeper.

May 28, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #12,171 of 25,424
Thanks, Julian. I will try to tube roll a bit with my ANK4.1. Finally managed to get the top off so i'll be eBaying for quite a bit in search for that tube or three :)

As Cory suggested, I would run with the Carbon and your 007s or 009s for a while, then use the DAC or replacement DAC to 'tune' your sound. I am on the Audio Note DAC 5 and spent a good few months tube rolling and changing caps on the line stage. It took a great sound into something magical. With the 009s in particular, they give so much to the listener, but detail can come at a cost. Tune that detail and it will keep you happy forever, otherwise you will be on the buy / sell bandwagon. Don't forget the source (PC or CDP). If PC or Mac, it will need some work to sound it's best. I worked on my Mac Mini mods and Ethernet output and it brought probably more to the table (good aspects) than my DAC 5 tweaks. The good thing is the server tweaks can be cheap to do.

Last edited:
May 28, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #12,172 of 25,424
Cory, how you finding the MSB V? Is that a keeper.
It's fine. So is the Ares. So is the Ygg. I'll add a DAVE to confirm the hype.

We live in the dumb age of the digital IC where everything sounds good.

May 28, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #12,173 of 25,424
It's fine. So is the Ares. So is the Ygg. I'll add a DAVE to confirm the hype.

We live in the dumb age of the digital IC where everything sounds good.

But be very careful though, not everything expensive will sound good, not at all. Never ever, because it sound good, it is expensive

May 28, 2017 at 8:08 AM Post #12,174 of 25,424
I look forward to never buying another commercial amp/DAC in the future.

May 28, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #12,175 of 25,424
All true guys. I think a DAC can make more of a difference than many may expect. If we stay on SS DS DACs then there is a flavour there IMO, bright camp, warm (dull) camp. Obviously huge generalisation but I found it holds water in my demos to date. Then the R-2R tubed camp that mostly stray away from both those traits. I am in that latter group, quite possibly forever. That is unless I hear something that blows my socks off and offers something more i.e. soundstage and detail BUT smooth delivery and an un-digital sound. I have recently heard a dCS stack, and had a day long demo on the CH Precision, and they are both in the detail camp but left me cold, bored and clock watching. Digital is so complicated, can be so damb good, but also so annoying / fatiguing.

I will try and get a demo on the DAVE this summer in the UK to check it out. The FPGA and Chord's own approach to it may be saying something new, so interested. My stubborn concern in the design if that DAC is the switching PS and my negative experiences of that type of supply, and the opp amp line stage. But never to judge it without hearing it, I hope it is something new personally.

Another DAC of interest may be the Aqua La Scala MK2 or the Aqua Formula. Seems on the money (£5.5K & £9K) and has discrete digital boards, the La Scala a tube hybrid line stage.

In looking for opinions on various DACs and the posts in this forum and elsewhere, I try to understand (if supplied) how it is fed at the source. I have found that can change things a lot, maybe more than the difference from an ok DAC and a great DAC for example., especially if fed by a PC / Streamer that is not optimised.

There is a point of view at the 'other place', that there is no point in spending over 3K on any DAC right now as digital is moving fast again into new areas. I can understand that view. I have a personal comfort zone on digital, and if I moved DAC anytime, it would be a like for like budget.

May 28, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #12,177 of 25,424
What's the better choice for the L700 - SRM-353x or SRM-1 Mk2 (PP) (assuming the latter is in good condition)? I don't know much about the Stax driver units. I know the SRM-1 is sort of like an all purpose driver but can it power the 007 adequately too? I am not talking total wow factor but just enough so that the 007 competes with dynamics and planars in its price range.

May 29, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #12,178 of 25,424
I would appreciate some advice on the most economical amp (old or new) to drive the 007 mk2. Would a SRM-1 mk2 Pro be reasonably competent? Just looking for something under $1k while I save up for a much better driver for later.

I am debating between the 007 and L700 and realize that the latter is probably much easier to pair (like with a 353x) but really like the more conventional round pad design of the 007. It seems like it would be more comfortable although I've had Lambda models before and they are not bad comfort wise, just a bit awkward.

If it's not even worth getting a sort of stopgap amp for a 007 then I guess the L700 is the way to go.

I like the old SRM-T1 series. Stock, it's not so good for the 007, but should be fine for the L700, and it has that tube tonality. Does need to have all the electrolytic caps replaced (thread elsewhere on Head-Fi). At the last Albuquerque meet I had a couple people listen to a T1 with a few simple additional modifications, compared to a BHSE using SR007 Mk Its, and although the BHSE was clearly better, the T1 was very good.

May 29, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #12,179 of 25,424
OK, here's a question. Would a BHSE or KGSSHV Carbon be wasted on my L700s? Or would the same money be better spent upgrading the L700s first (assuming that I might like to get to 009s one day)? I'm very pleased with the 006T + L700s (connected via balanced to a Mytek Brooklyn).

Another question: would 006T + 009s sound better than something like the BHSE or KGSSHV Carbon (or std) + L700? Anyone tried this?

Just trying to work out what I should do first (if anything).... another possibility might be KGST + L700 and save some money, but would I regret this?

May 29, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #12,180 of 25,424
OK, here's a question. Would a BHSE or KGSSHV Carbon be wasted on my L700s? Or would the same money be better spent upgrading the L700s first (assuming that I might like to get to 009s one day)? I'm very pleased with the 006T + L700s (connected via balanced to a Mytek Brooklyn).

Another question: would 006T + 009s sound better than something like the BHSE or KGSSHV Carbon (or std) + L700? Anyone tried this?

Just trying to work out what I should do first (if anything).... another possibility might be KGST + L700 and save some money, but would I regret this?
While not having heard the L700, I'd take the path to least resistance and less gimped; stick with the BHSE/Carbon and L700.
I would try to find an opportunity to hear the 009 and see if you personally feel it brings something appreciable over the L700.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back