The Reference 6SN7 Thread
May 1, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #451 of 9,984
No MR on the base but there is the Sylvania logo

Can't upload pics on this new forum format

May 2, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #452 of 9,984
Howdy, really enjoyed reading through this thread!!! I just got my self a Project ember [used to have a starlight] and I went with a Electro Harmonix 6SN7, from Tube Depot [they actually shipped faster and cheaper than amazon, go figure]

What do you guys think of it? Sound wise I remember I liked my GE 6SN7 GTA but I found better detail with a VokShod Rocket... but I can't remember what my VokShod was, I only remember paying like $49 for it and waiting a month -.- I'm hoping the Electro Harmonix 6SN7, will be detailed enough to merit it's purchase over a GE 6sn7 GTA

May 5, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #453 of 9,984
@adhoc I really want to thank you for your initial write up! I did in fact try out the newStock Electro Harmonix 6sn7EH Gold and Non Gold, I've only listened to the Non Gold, but it really does sound pretty great! I'm quite impressed, and I don't think I'd have gotten it, if not your that first post of yours

May 25, 2017 at 3:41 AM Post #454 of 9,984
Switching between my RCA 1940s grey-glass (VT-231 equivalent) and my Sylvania t-plate (VT-231 equivalent), I notice the purity of sound from the Sylvania -- it's very clean, very controlled -- but the music doesn't reach me. With the RCA, the peaks and emotions of songs GRAB me, churn my insides, and make listening a visceral experience -- but the RCA isn't as clean and controlled as the Sylvania. The sample song here was Adele's "Hello". Anyone else have similar experiences with these tubes? I use a fully-modded Bottlehead Crack and AKG K240 Sextetts.

May 25, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #456 of 9,984
Switching between my RCA 1940s grey-glass (VT-231 equivalent) and my Sylvania t-plate (VT-231 equivalent), I notice the purity of sound from the Sylvania -- it's very clean, very controlled -- but the music doesn't reach me. With the RCA, the peaks and emotions of songs GRAB me, churn my insides, and make listening a visceral experience -- but the RCA isn't as clean and controlled as the Sylvania. The sample song here was Adele's "Hello". Anyone else have similar experiences with these tubes? I use a fully-modded Bottlehead Crack and AKG K240 Sextetts.

That is my experience. The RCA is romantic and lush and a little lacking on top whereas the Sylvania is completely neutral and detailed but lacking bass.

One of my favorites that seems to combine them both into one is the Raytheon VT-231 flat plate.

May 25, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #457 of 9,984
That is my experience. The RCA is romantic and lush and a little lacking on top whereas the Sylvania is completely neutral and detailed but lacking bass.

One of my favorites that seems to combine them both into one is the Raytheon VT-231 flat plate.

I'll have to try and snag a Raytheon then, never heard it yet. Thanks for your input, cheers!

May 25, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #458 of 9,984
I'll have to try and snag a Raytheon then, never heard it yet. Thanks for your input, cheers!

I haven't had any issues with Soft bass out of my Sylvania Chrome Dome 6sn7's, I've only got a 1950s Jan-Chs W and a GTA, other wise the clarity is really nice, but I do have a 6sn7 GT Naj CHS Green Label vt231 and a white label vt 231 [no jan chs] both of them are bottom getter flashed with Tall Bottles, I have the White label non vt231 in now, but I'll compare my 2 vt231s to my Jan-Chs 6sn7w

But I'm really loving my Sylvania tubes out of my Project Ember, taut powerful bass great mids and awesome clarity!

May 27, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #461 of 9,984
Not a bargain. You can get a properly matched pair tested for noise, etc., for not a lot more than $176.

It's a bit of a gamble how he's selling them.
Agree.

These are real NOS tube in military boxes.

Forget about the measurements. There is no way he could have enough time to warm up all those tubes before the measurements. I got the first two and afraid of the imbalance issues. However, both tubes are tested fine on my tester.

May 28, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #462 of 9,984
Agree.

These are real NOS tube in military boxes.

Forget about the measurements. There is no way he could have enough time to warm up all those tubes before the measurements. I got the first two and afraid of the imbalance issues. However, both tubes are tested fine on my tester.

Lovely sounding tubes.

May 30, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #465 of 9,984
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JAN-CHS-Syl...8f48df&pid=100011&rk=2&rkt=12&sd=162527576896

Wow that's a long link, but I got a 2800/2800 matched 6sn7W Jan-Chs GT, and it's PHENOMENAL! I really love it! I'm going to compare it with the VT231 JAN-CHS variants here in the next few days, I did compare my short bottle chrome dome'd 6sn7W to a tall bottle, bottom getter flashed VT 231 and they shared a simmilar tone, but 6sn7W had better mirco detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back