The Other Metal Thread: No Blastbeat Metal Zone!
May 15, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #586 of 2,628
Apparently you cant start a doom band without the word 'witch' or 'void' in it...Im putting together a new band called VoidWitch

Another female fronted stoner band...Like it.

May 15, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #587 of 2,628
May 16, 2017 at 12:07 AM Post #588 of 2,628
Monster: you've been throwing some awesome stuff lately. I never did thank-you for ALUNAH. Thank-you.

So, lets go back in time about 30 years. This band has been voted "Greatest Swedish Metal/Hard Rock Band of All Time." And I have to admit, it's hard to beat their epic masterpiece, Nightfall. Seriously, without Candlemass, there is no Doom. Oh, you can make an argument for Cathedral, and you'd win. But in my heart, this is the band that took Sabbath-riffs and themes to a whole new level.

Even though this is one of the earliest examples of Doom (not counting Sabbath, who formed All Things Metal), this album packs a punch that puts a lot of the new bands to shame. And you have to give it to Messiah Marcolin. Love him or hate him, he is absolutely the epitome of over the top Doom vocals.

Anyway, with much respect:

May 16, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #589 of 2,628
Monster: you've been throwing some awesome stuff lately. I never did thank-you for ALUNAH. Thank-you.

So, lets go back in time about 30 years. This band has been voted "Greatest Swedish Metal/Hard Rock Band of All Time." And I have to admit, it's hard to beat their epic masterpiece, Nightfall. Seriously, without Candlemass, there is no Doom. Oh, you can make an argument for Cathedral, and you'd win. But in my heart, this is the band that took Sabbath-riffs and themes to a whole new level.

Even though this is one of the earliest examples of Doom (not counting Sabbath, who formed All Things Metal), this album packs a punch that puts a lot of the new bands to shame. And you have to give it to Messiah Marcolin. Love him or hate him, he is absolutely the epitome of over the top Doom vocals.

Anyway, with much respect:

I admittedly dont know much about this genre but wasnt St.Vitus also huge in the early days?
I recall they used to play in L.A. when I was big in the scene and I never could figure them out....30 years later I realized they were doing doom.

Last edited:
May 16, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #590 of 2,628
I would definitely not say St. Vitus were huge. Doom was mostly underground, the long-suffering stepchild kept in the basement closet. I have a timeline on an old piece here: http://fastnbulbous.com/doom-goes-pop/

graceland-5.jpg

May 16, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #591 of 2,628
I would definitely not say St. Vitus were huge. Doom was mostly underground, the long-suffering stepchild kept in the basement closet. I have a timeline on an old piece here: http://fastnbulbous.com/doom-goes-pop/

graceland-5.jpg

Great article!

You predicted it. And here it is:

It's not often that I:

1. Agree with every word written in a piece like this.
2. Learn a ton about the history I was not even aware of.

I have been a long-suffering Doom fan since about 1985. And I am totally shocked and amazed at the EXPLOSION of material over the past 2 years alone.

Thanks for hanging out with us, BTW. It's greatly appreciated.

May 16, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #592 of 2,628
Thanks! Yeah, I love thew new Obsessed album, wrote about it in the Heavy Rock Rundown piece.

May 16, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #593 of 2,628
Thanks! Yeah, I love thew new Obsessed album, wrote about it in the Heavy Rock Rundown piece.

It seems to me that "Sacred" is his statement piece. I'm sure there's more to come, but darn if it isn't his best album to date. Except for possibly Shrinebuilder. But then, he did play with a couple other guys with some experience making decent music on that one....:ksc75smile:

May 18, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #597 of 2,628
Im speechless.We were just talking grunge the other day where I mentioned how long it took after the fact for me to appreciate some of it.
Chris Cornell IMO is the greatest rock singer ever not named Freddie.

What a sad ****edup way to wakeup

May 18, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #598 of 2,628
I finally saw Chris on the Temple of the Dog tour last year. That was an amazing show including covers of Achilles Last Stand and War Pigs. He will surely be missed. RIP...

May 21, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #599 of 2,628
OK,time for some Thin Lizzy influenced Spanish metal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back