The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Jul 12, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #1,111 of 5,760
Any opinion on burn in for this amp, is it the same as with the dap's ?

Jul 12, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #1,113 of 5,760
Just keep a headphones plugged in and play music with it. It can run 24/7 without warming up :D

Yep that's what I intended anyway but it sounds so good straight out of the box (though since it's an Amazon open box unit I don't know how much play time it has had before).

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #1,115 of 5,760
That is true, TA-ZH1ES doesn't change too dramatically from burn-in :)

I agree. While Sony's top-of-the-line DAPs improve with usage, the TA doesn't need to be breaked in from my point of view.

@nc800: That is a lovely setup. If you happen to be in Sonderborg anytime soon, you should come to my place and bring your headphones.

Btw, I am now a happy owner of the TH900 MK2 (after owning the MK1). Got the ForzaAudio Hybrid cable, and I think the entire setup looks pretty nice.

DSCN0454.JPG

Jul 14, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #1,117 of 5,760
I love this amp, but I'm currently listening with a Sennheiser HD700. So I'm in the market to upgrade my headphone to something that can actually reproduce all the magic of the TA-ZH1ES. I love the idea of the Audeze LCD-4, but I worry about its spec of 200ohm and requiring 1-4W of amplification power. Even with balanced, the TA only produces 2.4W max. The alternative is the Focal Utopia with only 80ohm, but I really would like to see if I prefer planar over conventional domes. I wonder if anyone has tried driving the LCD-4 with the TA-ZH1ES and what your experience has been, As far as I can tell, nobody in this thread has shared their experience with this combo.

Thanks!

Jul 15, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #1,118 of 5,760
I tried it with HE-6 balanced before I sold them and they required high gain and max volume and were still not really driven properly but I believe they are harder to drive than LCD-4

Jul 16, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #1,119 of 5,760
The ZH1ES is a great combo IMO. It does a lot of everything very well. My only criticism of it is the overly warmth and smoothness nature of the amp. I just wish the ZH1ES can have a little more dynamic punch and explosiveness compared to better amplifiers. Still as a whole package, it is an instant winner if you prefer slightly warmer and extremely smooth sounding amp. I wouldn't recommend driving HE-6 or HEK for matter out of this amp. Yes, it can get the job done but not as well compared to bigger and beefier amplifiers. The HD800 does sound great out of the this amp. I personally don't like the Z1R & ZH1ES combination.

Jul 16, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #1,120 of 5,760
The ZH1ES is a great combo IMO. It does a lot of everything very well. My only criticism of it is the overly warmth and smoothness nature of the amp. I just wish the ZH1ES can have a little more dynamic punch and explosiveness compared to better amplifiers. Still as a whole package, it is an instant winner if you prefer slightly warmer and extremely smooth sounding amp. I wouldn't recommend driving HE-6 or HEK for matter out of this amp. Yes, it can get the job done but not as well compared to bigger and beefier amplifiers. The HD800 does sound great out of the this amp. I personally don't like the Z1R & ZH1ES combination.
Thanks Purk,

I'm intrigued how much more there is to get out of my HEKv2. Out of the TA-ZH1ES they are fantastic to my ears, but I haven't tried them with a different amp.

Jul 16, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #1,121 of 5,760
What you will get is even greater sense of dynamics. The HEK V2 is a smooth and polite sounding headphones so pairing with the TA-ZH1ES maybe a little bit too much of a good thing. I think you will like it a bit more out of the the GS-X MKII or something like the SuSy Dynahi. In fact, the SuSy Dynahi is likely the very best amp for it along with my ECP DSHA-4/Ravenswood as well as the Liquid Gold.

Jul 17, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #1,122 of 5,760
Has anyone tried to pair this amp with HD 6xx?
Or do you have any recommended open back headphone that can complement Z1R + ZH1ES Combo?

Jul 17, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #1,123 of 5,760
The hd800 is a good choice.

Jul 17, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #1,125 of 5,760
I would get a used HD800 with the mod to save money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back