The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 21, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #10,921 of 11,341
Well, sadly spending my last night as a Z1R owner. I have enjoyed them very, very much, to me they are a very special signature. That said, almost two years with no income to look after my daughter and a tax bill has forced me to sell my Z1R. At least they are staying close by and going to somebody who will take care of them and appreciate them. Listening to Holy Cole - One Trick Pony and man the vocals are rich, present and smooth. Going to roll some Fleetwood Mac next and then a little electronica to bid the Z1R adieu. For those of you who appreciate the Z1R, it has been a great time hanging with you in the thread and I intend to still monitor the thread and say hello from time to time.

Jun 21, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #10,922 of 11,341
I have no reason to question that Z1R are fine headphones. There are no standards therefore no basis for discussing the sound quality, only taste counts. By thaty "logic" if there is some ear piercing crap on the market, as long as some poor sucker is willing to pay few grands for it, everything is fine..That's what makes this hobby so compelling. Right...
Yep, if you agree or not, beauty is in the eyes (and ears) of the beholder/listener. Don't buy the Z1R mate, then you don't need to be a sucker, problem solved right?

Jun 21, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #10,923 of 11,341
Well, sadly spending my last night as a Z1R owner. I have enjoyed them very, very much, to me they are a very special signature. That said, almost two years with no income to look after my daughter and a tax bill has forced me to sell my Z1R. At least they are staying close by and going to somebody who will take care of them and appreciate them. Listening to Holy Cole - One Trick Pony and man the vocals are rich, present and smooth. Going to roll some Fleetwood Mac next and then a little electronica to bid the Z1R adieu. For those of you who appreciate the Z1R, it has been a great time hanging with you in the thread and I intend to still monitor the thread and say hello from time to time.

That's tough m8, but very glad that you had the chance to really spend some quality time with this headphone. I remember when we were discussing the signature on these for the longest time at the beginning of this thread - a lot of people were apprehensive about it but ended up loving it. Hope things will work out and see you around.

Jun 21, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #10,924 of 11,341
That's tough m8, but very glad that you had the chance to really spend some quality time with this headphone. I remember when we were discussing the signature on these for the longest time at the beginning of this thread - a lot of people were apprehensive about it but ended up loving it. Hope things will work out and see you around.
Thanks, and absolutely I was lucky to have been able to own the Z1R, thanks again to Jason at TSAV for being a big part of that! Yes I enjoyed our conversations and you were instrumental in giving me the confidence to take the plunge and get the Z1R. Much appreciated.

Jun 21, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #10,925 of 11,341

O man, hope everything will be fine and I wish you and your family good luck..

A song for you, as you are going kiss goodbye with your Z1R :pensive:

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #10,926 of 11,341
O man, hope everything will be fine and I wish you and your family good luck..

A song for you, as you are kiss goodbye with your Z1R :pensive:

Thanks, very much appreciated, going to roll that song right after my Deadmau5 tune ends (Slip from Random Album Title).

Edit: Nice suggestion! My daughter got me listening to K-Pop and J-Pop. So I do actually enjoy this music style. We used to watch Sword Art Online and Fairytale together.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #10,927 of 11,341
Well, stepping away from the keyboard for a few, but definitely going to get a few more songs in tonight!

Jun 21, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #10,928 of 11,341
If headphones were rated subjectivity by reviewers like Rotten Tomatoes, the Z1R would get an over 90% rating (based on professional reviews out there). That doesn't necessarily mean you'll like it if you watch the movie, but at least you'd make a trip over to your local cinema/retailer to the experience it.

Jun 21, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #10,929 of 11,341
If headphones were rated subjectivity by reviewers like Rotten Tomatoes, the Z1R would get an over 90% rating (based on professional reviews out there). That doesn't necessarily mean you'll like it if you watch the movie, but at least you'd make a trip over to your local cinema/retailer to the experience it.

Judging by the responses in this thread, there seems to be a business opportunity to create a movie review aggregator, where by all the reviews are written entirely by people who have not seen the movie. This seems to be the popular trend these days.

Jun 21, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #10,930 of 11,341
Just want to add to the endless debate about flaws...and reproducing live music in cans.

Some time ago I went to a Dream Theater concert, it's was the 25 years anniversary for the album "images and words". The concert hall where it were held is made for music, the acoustic is one the best I've heard in any concert hall, and it was the second time I heard Dream Theater in this hall. It's seating only which is a little bit strange for metal concert, but probably adds to the perfect acoustic. No matter where you are sitting you get the same impressions/sound.

To get the point...:) Of all the cans I have heard the one that were closest to the sound in this concert hall, were the B&W P9. Especially the drums were spot on. Talk about a headphone with flaws and polarizing views. Personally I have a love/hate relationship with this headphone and 100% prefer the Z1R. But it does something that no other (I have heard) headphone can do. So what is right and wrong? Did B&W have this in mind when they tuned the P9? I don't know, but who does?

One last thing. I hope Tyll are aware of the power he has in this industry/hobby, with power comes responsibility! Basically the last 30-50 pages is because of one review only.

Jun 21, 2017 at 11:58 PM Post #10,931 of 11,341

Sadness... I wish you best of luck, Sonic, with your daughter, taxes, and life in general. Thanks for sharing your thoughts here. I certainly enjoyed meeting you and reading your posts. Best wishes with your studies also, may it bring you success, prosperity, and many many awesome headphones!

Want to say good bye to your headphone, but you certainly don't have to go. Some people here haven't even seen the headphone. Hope you can hang out once in a while.

God bless~

Jun 21, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #10,932 of 11,341
One last thing. I hope Tyll are aware of the power he has in this industry/hobby, with power comes responsibility! Basically the last 30-50 pages is because of one review only.

What are you trying to imply here? That if a reviewer has an opinion that goes against the hivemind, he should just keep quiet and not stir trouble?

That wouldn't be a reviewer that I'd hold to high regard.

Jun 22, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #10,933 of 11,341
Sadness... I wish you best of luck, Sonic, with your daughter, taxes, and life in general. Thanks for sharing your thoughts here. I certainly enjoyed meeting you and reading your posts. Best wishes with your studies also, may it bring you success, prosperity, and many many awesome headphones!

Want to say good bye to your headphone, but you certainly don't have to go. Some people here haven't even seen the headphone. Hope you can hang out once in a while.

God bless~
Thank you very much, this is why I love head-fi, the people here are awesome and actually care. I will certainly be in and out of this thread. I'm very interested to see how the measurement scenario works out and I really enjoy reading about how others experience gear that I like. Peace.

Jun 22, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #10,934 of 11,341
What are you trying to imply here? That if a reviewer has an opinion that goes against the hivemind, he should just keep quiet and not stir trouble?

I am not trying to imply anything and I do have respect for Tyll. He knows a lot more about headphones that I do. But he does have a lot of influence. How many would have posted anything in this tread if it were not for Tylls review. I am not saying he's review is right or wrong, I have no idea about that.

Jun 22, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #10,935 of 11,341

I didn't get any of that from his post - I just take that to mean that with his great power to influence, then Tyll has to take more care in how he is using them, it doesn't say he has to agree to the wider opinion.

I think we can all agree that the most controversial point of Tyll's review was how he said the ATH-50X was better buy than the Z1R, and he kept focusing on what he said are the problematic measurement flaws of the Z1R sound signature by using reference sound as that criteria. We've already broken down why these comparisons themselves are in fact flawed, and I think it helps to remind Tyll that it is in everyone's best interest that if he could reframe his views in a tone that better shows its subjective nature. For example, presenting the Z1R as an inaccurate phone that is not reference class is perfectly fine - people can objectively see that in the measurements and have no ground to dispute this finding. He is also completely free and in his right to say he doesn't find this inaccurate sound pleasing to his own ears due to his own personal subjective preference, there's also no ground to dispute this, however throwing in a sniping comment implying Sony's choice of tuning a non-reference sound signature is unacceptable practice and a sign of Sony engineer's incompetence - rather than presenting that as a deliberate choice on their part - is, to put it bluntly, a bit arrogant. And I would say that is the point where Tyll is using his power as a respected reviewer a little irresponsibly, and where most sensible and rational Z1R owners that even agrees with his previous two findings (that it is inaccurate, that he finds that signature not to his taste) finds to be problematic.

The most responsible way of saying this could've easily been something like "Ok so for whatever reason Sony's engineers decided to tune it this particular inaccurate way - I respect their choice, but it's just not a sound I can like or enjoy, so if you share a taste similar to me (a preference to reference headphones) and is sensitive to 10kHz peaks, then this headphone is just not for you and you should look elsewhere to spend your money". Simple and informative, clear to the point and equally states his personal feelings and preferences as they were, doesn't agree with the "hive mind" you are accusing people off (which BTW, doesn't actually exists), yet not offensive in any way. Isn't that better for everyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back