The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 29, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #9,766 of 11,341
Hey, gang. Haven't posted here of late due to craziness related to launching a start-up. But hopping in here quickly to comment. As some of you may remember, was using the Z1Rs predominantly at the office through Ayre Codex decoding digits from my office laptop (running fidelizer pro); I swapped out cables to Wireworld Nano-Platinum Eclipse, which was really the bees' knees.

Or so I thought. For the long weekend I brought the Z1Rs home, and currently listening through Leben CS600 headphone out (which is transformer-coupled) with Melco N1A/Schiit Yggy doing the D-A. Stock Sony cable. And the sound is revelatory. Currently listening to Kim Kashkashian/Lera Auerbach's Arcanum (ECM), and the viola's midband is more lifelike, better energized than I remember through my office rig. To be fair, my home rig is more $ than my office rig, but this only goes to prove Z1R scalability and transparency to sources, IMO.

I think the common advice on this thread for Z1R amplification is generally to stay away from tube amplifiers that might add undue warmth or bass bloat. But through top rate tube amplifiers that do not tip too much toward the warmth side of the sound signature, it rather brings out the Z1Rs' strengths (or attributes that some have been saying are missing in Z1Rs). For those of you who tried Z1Rs and found the sound a bit too unexcitable, just want to say that these cans scale transparently according to whatever amplification/front-end deliver. Experiment to your heart's content!

Last edited:
May 29, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #9,769 of 11,341
Thanks for the answer!

No, I live in HK, very high humid environment, but I do keep the Z1R in my room with humidity control at range 50-60%.

May I ask if any recommendation to keep the leather in better condition?

Hi, I wish I knew, but to be honest my knowledge of caring for leather is very limited. Hopefully somebody else in the thread knows more and can answer your question. Here is some very basic information I found:

http://www.leathercult.com/blog/did-you-know-humidity-can-affect-leather/

May 29, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #9,770 of 11,341
You want to rub uour leather? I too live in HK. Im on the MTR 3 hrs a day with a TH900 and a Hugo amp.

What are you suggesting he does to protect the leather against high humidity?

May 29, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #9,771 of 11,341
May 30, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #9,772 of 11,341
Has anyone listened to both TH-610 and MDR-Z1R and can compare?.. I can buy MDR-Z1R at $1600 but it's still a lot of money so I wonder if the price difference warrants buying Z1R. :)

May 30, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #9,773 of 11,341
Has anyone listened to both TH-610 and MDR-Z1R and can compare?.. I can buy MDR-Z1R at $1600 but it's still a lot of money so I wonder if the price difference warrants buying Z1R. :)

I owned the TH 600 and liked it, not sure how different the TH 610 really is sound wise. It is always hard to say whether a big price jump is worth it for whatever perceived sound quality gain it provides, but I can say with certainty that I don't regret the extra expense the Z1R was over the TH 600. If one was able to somehow do an accurate cost to sound quality comparison I'm sure the TH 600 would be a very good value, but you also need to enjoy the sound signature. Good luck with your decision.

May 30, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #9,774 of 11,341

I have not listened to the TH-610, but I do own the TH-X00 M, and according to others on head-fi, the signatures are similar. Compared to the Z1R, the TH-X00 is definitely more V-shaped, more of an "EQ'ed" signature. Mid-bass and trebles are quite elevated. The Z1R obviously has a lot of bass as well, but it's a much cleaner sub-bass, more controlled. In addition, the Z1R has a much wider soundstage, the TH-X00 is pretty narrow. The Z1R is not really known to have a "reference" character, but to me and compared to the TH-X00, it almost feels like that.

Not saying the TH-X00 is a bad HP, not at all. It's fun and it really works with certain genres. It is also in a different price bracket, so it's no surprise the Z1R beats it fair and square.

Last edited:
May 30, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #9,775 of 11,341
Cable discussion alert: Non-believers skip to next post!

I was a skeptic when it comes to cables being able to influence the sound of a HP significantly. I still do believe that buying expensive USB cables is nonsense, that as long as everything is 1's and 0's, the quality of the wire does not matter. At the analogue side however, I changed my opinion.

I recently bought Moon Audio's Silver Dragon with an XLR termination. Testing A/B with the stock cable (also with XLR termination), I think that it truly does change the sound of the Z1R for the better. Bass is more controlled and it adds clarity to higher frequencies that are possibly the weakness of the Z1R. I am driving it with an Oppo HA-1, which is on the brighter side of the spectrum. Using this combination, I think the Z1R definitely plays in the big league. Bass is still plenty and punchy, but fast and controlled. The slight veil in the highs is gone and the overall character is more balanced.

I tested the same cable on my T1 2nd, and you would think that a silver cable makes it too bright. Funnily enough, not really. I cannot say that the Silver Dragon adds a lot of quality to the sound of the T1, but it also does not change it too much for the worse (which in theory should be the case with a Beyer). But on the Z1R, I would strongly recommended it.

Last edited:
May 30, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #9,776 of 11,341
Hey, gang. Haven't posted here of late due to craziness related to launching a start-up. But hopping in here quickly to comment. As some of you may remember, was using the Z1Rs predominantly at the office through Ayre Codex decoding digits from my office laptop (running fidelizer pro); I swapped out cables to Wireworld Nano-Platinum Eclipse, which was really the bees' knees.

Or so I thought. For the long weekend I brought the Z1Rs home, and currently listening through Leben CS600 headphone out (which is transformer-coupled) with Melco N1A/Schiit Yggy doing the D-A. Stock Sony cable. And the sound is revelatory. Currently listening to Kim Kashkashian/Lera Auerbach's Arcanum (ECM), and the viola's midband is more lifelike, better energized than I remember through my office rig. To be fair, my home rig is more $ than my office rig, but this only goes to prove Z1R scalability and transparency to sources, IMO.

I think the common advice on this thread for Z1R amplification is generally to stay away from tube amplifiers that might add undue warmth or bass bloat. But through top rate tube amplifiers that do not tip too much toward the warmth side of the sound signature, it rather brings out the Z1Rs' strengths (or attributes that some have been saying are missing in Z1Rs). For those of you who tried Z1Rs and found the sound a bit too unexcitable, just want to say that these cans scale transparently according to whatever amplification/front-end deliver. Experiment to your heart's content!
I feel like the signature series amp/DAC that goes with this headphone achieves what your describing,yet it's a solid state that is capable of giving the "benefit of tubes without being bloated". So instead of it being a tube amp, I feel like it is capable of adding to the Z1R without it making it over bearing and too much.

May 30, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #9,777 of 11,341
Cable discussion alert: Non-believers skip to next post!

I was a skeptic when it comes to cables being able to influence the sound of a HP significantly. I still do believe that buying expensive USB cables is nonsense, that as long as everything is 1's and 0's, the quality of the wire does not matter. At the analogue side however, I changed my opinion.

I recently bought Moon Audio's Silver Dragon with an XLR termination. Testing A/B with the stock cable (also with XLR termination), I think that it truly does change the sound of the Z1R for the better. Bass is more controlled and it adds clarity to higher frequencies that are possibly the weakness of the Z1R. I am driving it with an Oppo HA-1, which is on the brighter side of the spectrum. Using this combination, I think the Z1R definitely plays in the big league. Bass is still plenty and punchy, but fast and controlled. The slight veil in the highs is gone and the overall character is more balanced.

I tested the same cable on my T1 2nd, and you would think that a silver cable makes it too bright. Funnily enough, not really. I cannot say that the Silver Dragon adds a lot of quality to the sound of the T1, but it also does not change it too much for the worse (which in theory should be the case with a Beyer). But on the Z1R, I would strongly recommended it.

I agree with you in regards of the effect of a good silver cable on the Z1R. I have tried the stock, OCC Copper and OCC Silver cables and the Silver one (WireWorld Nano Platinum Eclipse) makes a significant difference exactly as you described.

Regarding the USB cables, I was in the same boat as you until last October during RMAF. I good friend of mine recommended the Nordost Heimdall 2 USB cable. I did not believe it would make a big difference and did not want o pay that kind of money either but I was convinced to go and listen to their demo room. They had a nice system and first they were playing using a generic USB cable and then switch only the USB cable with the Heimdall 2 and the level of detail, definition and size of the soundstage was significantly better then they went up to their Tyr 2 which is about double the price of the Heimdall. With that one there was more detail but the soundstage was not as expansive. He switched back to the generic cable to the Nordost cables couple of time and to me there was a clear difference to the point that went back to their booth and purchased the Heimdall 2. It replace in my system a WireWorld Starlight 6 Platinum.

I agree with you that logically it should not make a difference since it is 1s and 0s but I trust my ears and I heard a difference.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
May 30, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #9,778 of 11,341
Look what arrived in the mail today all the way from Korea.. my balanced Sony kimber cable. Right of the bat definite improvement in sound over stock cable. Took out all the harshness and made it all smooth. I am loving the way bass sounds and highs have lost the "sssss' sound I got with stock cable. Shame Sony didn't make this standard with z1r for what it costs.. for me it takes z1r to next level with wm1z and most importantly makes music sound just the way I like it.. since I got this cable this afternoon I have listened to z1r for 6 hrs straight and still craving more.. best part just cost $280.. can't beat that.. also cable looks good..

PC

IMG_1720.JPG IMG_1721.JPG IMG_1722.JPG IMG_1723.JPG

May 31, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #9,779 of 11,341
Look what arrived in the mail today all the way from Korea.. my balanced Sony kimber cable. Right of the bat definite improvement in sound over stock cable. Took out all the harshness and made it all smooth. I am loving the way bass sounds and highs have lost the "sssss' sound I got with stock cable. Shame Sony didn't make this standard with z1r for what it costs.. for me it takes z1r to next level with wm1z and most importantly makes music sound just the way I like it.. since I got this cable this afternoon I have listened to z1r for 6 hrs straight and still craving more.. best part just cost $280.. can't beat that.. also cable looks good..

PC

Interesting observation and testament to the fact that tastes are different, which is a good thing thing. I have never experienced any harshness in trebles in the Z1R, if anything, trebles are to recessed for my taste. The HP I listened to most aside from the Z1R is the Beyer T1, which is a totally different ballgame when it comes to trebles.

I have the Sony Kimber cable too (bought it very cheap on eBay), but I found that it made the sound a bit darker than the stock cable, which was the opposite of what I tried to achieve. I am very happy with a silver cable that elevates highs a bit and makes the bass more controlled. There are many silver cables out there and I have tested two: Lavricables and Moon Audio Silver Dragon. Both very similar and especially the one from Lavricables is a bargain at EUR 200 for 2m.

Kimber cable does look great indeed though!

Last edited:
May 31, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #9,780 of 11,341
I agree with you in regards of the effect of a good silver cable on the Z1R. I have tried the stock, OCC Copper and OCC Silver cables and the Silver one (WireWorld Nano Platinum Eclipse) makes a significant difference exactly as you described.

Regarding the USB cables, I was in the same boat as you until last October during RMAF. I good friend of mine recommended the Nordost Heimdall 2 USB cable. I did not believe it would make a big difference and did not want o pay that kind of money either but I was convinced to go and listen to their demo room. They had a nice system and first they were playing using a generic USB cable and then switch only the USB cable with the Heimdall 2 and the level of detail, definition and size of the soundstage was significantly better then they went up to their Tyr 2 which is about double the price of the Heimdall. With that one there was more detail but the soundstage was not as expansive. He switched back to the generic cable to the Nordost cables couple of time and to me there was a clear difference to the point that went back to their booth and purchased the Heimdall 2. It replace in my system a WireWorld Starlight 6 Platinum.

I agree with you that logically it should not make a difference since it is 1s and 0s but I trust my ears and I heard a difference.

I agree that sometimes there is more to sound than logic implies. Anyway, I use an Audioquest Carbon USB cable (which admittedly is not the very TOTL cable), but I have found no difference when comparing it to a 3 EUR USB cable from Amazon Basics. Would love to find out if more expensive cables do make a difference, but I am hesitant to fork over serious money when logic says otherwise. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back