The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jun 9, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #25,966 of 28,989
Hi, has anyone here sold their S version for the regular HD800 and liked it better? I've decided to sell mine because I felt they were too smooth (I even tried to run them through the Jot).

I guess I was expecting more treble energy... Something akin to the HE-560 treble response. How does the original compare to that? I have a Liquid Carbon if that will help smooth out the peak I've read about.
After seven years with the HD-800 and well over a year with the 800S, I can offer my two cents worth if it's any help. In my opinion, the 800 exhibits better resolution when compared to the 800S. So, depending on the quality of the recording you're listening to, the 800 can be a little to revealing at times. In other words, if accuracy is what you seek, the 800 will definitely deliver.
The only reason I keep the 800S around is due to it's greater versatility, and the fact that it pairs well with the HA-1.

I have no experience with the Liquid Carbon but if it's a somewhat lush sounding and too warm for the 800S, it may be a satisfying pairing with the 800. If you ever want to go SS, any of the Violectric amps will pair well with the 800 along with Sennheiser offerings.

I had the HE-560 but I sold it. So...I'm going by memory pertaining to the general sound signature of the 560. I believe it was similar to the 800 in treble but not on the same level in regards to separation and bass definition.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #25,967 of 28,989
Well I am now part of the HD800 club. Bought a used, but great condition pair with the SuperDupont mod from a user here and I am absolutely in love with listening to my music again. These are my endgame and that makes me happy to no longer feel like I'm chasing the next best thing. I didn't find myself listening to all that much music for the previous 6 months before I purchased the HD800, but now I literally can't wait to get home from work and slowly work through relistening to my entire music collection again. Plus, I bought these to use with the Smyth Realiser A16 I'm purchasing so I can't wait to try them for that application. Wish I would have jumped on this train earlier.

Jun 9, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #25,968 of 28,989
Agree on the HD800 which I have gotten only 20 days ago. Loving it with the gear in my signature. Agree also with Svatopluk's assessment of the HD800 and HD800S. I have heard both and agree with the findings. I much prefer the HD800.

Jun 9, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #25,970 of 28,989
That would be cool, as @whirlwind thought long & hard about the Yggy!

I told him to toss a coin. It's a shame it landed on tails for Holo. :) I should have given him a 2 headed coin. :)

Yggy sounds incredible with details now after 20 days.... and that bass, so tight and controlled. It makes listening to music fun and real again.

Oops apologies... this is HD800 thread. :)

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #25,971 of 28,989
After seven years with the HD-800 and well over a year with the 800S, I can offer my two cents worth if it's any help. In my opinion, the 800 exhibits better resolution when compared to the 800S. So, depending on the quality of the recording you're listening to, the 800 can be a little to revealing at times. In other words, if accuracy is what you seek, the 800 will definitely deliver.
The only reason I keep the 800S around is due to it's greater versatility, and the fact that it pairs well with the HA-1.

I have no experience with the Liquid Carbon but if it's a somewhat lush sounding and too warm for the 800S, it may be a satisfying pairing with the 800. If you ever want to go SS, any of the Violectric amps will pair well with the 800 along with Sennheiser offerings.

I had the HE-560 but I sold it. So...I'm going by memory pertaining to the general sound signature of the 560. I believe it was similar to the 800 in treble but not on the same level in regards to separation and bass definition.

I agree with this comparison of the HD800 an HD800S. To me, the S sound veiled and that takes away from what the HD800 are all about. But, the S probably do work better for more music genres.
At a HP meet in Nashville, we did a direct comparison of the HD800 and HD800S on the same music/same rig. Everybody preferred the HD800. FWIW friends.

Enjoy your music!
RCB

Jun 10, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #25,972 of 28,989
If anyone uses Little Dot OTL amps with the original HD800 I can highly recommend the very cheap CV4014 EF91 tubes. I've tried many tubes and these just click with the HD800. Especially if you are after more weight at the bottom. The clarity in the treble is very, very good and not fatiguing or harsh.

Felt the need to spread the word, I've spent the last two weeks with what feels like a new amp because of these little tubes :)

Jun 11, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #25,973 of 28,989
Regarding HD800/S: I can't hear the difference between an HD800S and my HD800 with the Sonarworks equalization, so for $100 I get two TOTL headphones in one. I'm still on the fence as to whether I prefer the EQ, so much so that I often forget that it's on (or off) and only realize when other cans sound a little weird.

Jun 11, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #25,974 of 28,989
I'm a new member of the HD800 Club. Ordered them last night.

I'm looking forward to finally hearing these after eluding them for so many years.

Currently enjoying the Hifiman HEXV2 so it'd be interesting to compare.

Loved the HD600 so hoping these will be the natural step up from those.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #25,975 of 28,989
If anyone uses Little Dot OTL amps with the original HD800 I can highly recommend the very cheap CV4014 EF91 tubes. I've tried many tubes and these just click with the HD800. Especially if you are after more weight at the bottom. The clarity in the treble is very, very good and not fatiguing or harsh.

Felt the need to spread the word, I've spent the last two weeks with what feels like a new amp because of these little tubes :)
Thanks for the info.

Jun 13, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #25,976 of 28,989

I'll try these out! Thanks.

Jun 14, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #25,977 of 28,989

I got my (unmodded) HD800 headphones today. They were exactly what I was looking for! It may be because I'm listening them through the Liquid Carbon, but they're not nearly as bright or bass-thin as I imagined they would be from all the comparisons I've read.

Jun 14, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #25,979 of 28,989
I got my (unmodded) HD800 headphones today. They were exactly what I was looking for! It may be because I'm listening them through the Liquid Carbon, but they're not nearly as bright or bass-thin as I imagined they would be from all the comparisons I've read.
Glad to hear the HD800/Liquid Carbon pairing is working so well for you. When others complain about the HD800 being bright or bass-thin, I assume either they prefer dark, laid-back headphones or they have not had the opportunity to experience it with the right setup.

Jun 15, 2017 at 1:28 AM Post #25,980 of 28,989

Nothing is actually better than the HD800 . Only thing came close in my opinion was the 007 and 009 driven with lots of power.

Scoring the HD800 from 1 to 10 in all category. Someone can pretty much come to the conclusion that the HD800 is one of the greatest headphone that was ever created and in 25 years from now a legendary headphone.

My scores: (2017)

Imaging 10/10
Soundstage 11/10
Resolution 10/10
Separation 10/10
Accuracy 10/10
Tonality 10/10
Treble 11/10
Weight 10/10
Comfortable 10/10
Stylish 10/10
Bass 7/10