The Headphone Driver Pics Thread
Dec 18, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #467 of 2,198
NAD 16

50mm diaphragm (49mm usable area / 59mm entire driver housing size)
'Surround' of diaphragm surface is covered in a weird grease - this seems to be stock, I'm quite certain I'm the first one to break the old brittle glue seal.
Before taking a photo I had to give it a good cleaning with a cotton bud, the grease had attracted a whole bunch on unsavoury debris. 

Micron fibre wool disk is held in place by a 'floating' retainer ring that hugs the magnet casing (which is huge, by the way)
And you can see some of the 8-vents that they dampen.

Dec 18, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #468 of 2,198

Astro a40 . Removed thick paper that was covering housing. Improved overall clarity but was relying on back pressure to produce bass so I recovered most of the outside of the driver with a more dense and firmer backing

Dec 19, 2016 at 4:45 AM Post #469 of 2,198

Is that a speaker driver or headphone driver? 

Both, actually.

The DR-Zx headphones have a 53mm dome driver that is a modified version of the midrange cone from the SS-G7 loudspeakers. The outer rim of the diaphragm has been truncated slightly and the driver frame is made of SBMC (Sony Bulk Moulding Compound) which is a nice dense material used in their high end turntables. The diaphragm is coated in palladium using a very interesting process which involves depositing the molten metal on the diaphragm mould directly. This melts the mylar and causes the two to mix together, and forms that beautiful pattern you see in the photo.

These old things are really cool and one of Sony's best pieces of kit. Unfortunately, they are very fragile and strictly for home use. Once the cable goes, you're screwed.

Jan 1, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #470 of 2,198

Three Sony 50mm drivers:

1992: MDR-V900 

with amorphous diamond deposition on the diaphragm surface
Seems to be overall visually quite similar to the one in the MDR-CD999, but the 999 doesn't have the front-damping, and the 900 has part of the open rear vent covered.

1999:  MDR V-700

Been listening to these for a few hours today, and I honestly don't understand all the hate I've read in previous threads.
Missing some build quality (had to epoxy two broken hinges before I could use them)
Compared to other bassy consumer headphones, these aren't too shabby.

2009(?) - MDR XB-700

If these drivers had a bit less distortion and more resolution these headphones would be gloriously fun.  
[insert photo of silver/black sony headphone with ridiculously large ear pads]

Jan 2, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #471 of 2,198

Three Sony 50mm drivers:

1992: MDR-V900 

with amorphous diamond deposition on the diaphragm surface
Seems to be overall visually quite similar to the one in the MDR-CD999, but the 999 doesn't have the front-damping, and the 900 has part of the open rear vent covered.

It's hard to find a unmolested V900 these days. Most I see have a completely ripped Headband. 

Jan 2, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #472 of 2,198

It's hard to find a unmolested V900 these days. Most I see have a completely ripped Headband. 

Yeah, I'm actually considering buying cheap Chinese replacements and storing the original stock pads.
It seems you can buy pretty good clones of the brown ear pads, but not the brown headband.

Do you know if there were two versions of this headphone? 
I don't mean V900HD, but two versions of the V900? 
From what I've read from google translates on one website a while back (forget which one) the brown one seems to be the 'early' version, and the later version came with black pads.
But I havn't found ANYWHERE that can confirm or deny this, but there are a number of photos with differing colours of pads.

Jan 2, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #473 of 2,198
  Yeah, I'm actually considering buying cheap Chinese replacements and storing the original stock pads.
It seems you can buy pretty good clones of the brown ear pads, but not the brown headband.

Do you know if there were two versions of this headphone? 
I don't mean V900HD, but two versions of the V900? 
From what I've read from google translates on one website a while back (forget which one) the brown one seems to be the 'early' version, and the later version came with black pads.
But I havn't found ANYWHERE that can confirm or deny this, but there are a number of photos with differing colours of pads.

I'm a bit uninformed on the chronology of the Sony "Studio Series" but from what I know, I think the glossy black and brown upholstered V900s were the HDs. 
The normal V900s were matte only, I could be wrong. 
I think the expert on the "Studio Series" is Mike "HiFi Insider" on YouTube and "HiFiGuy528" here. 

Jan 3, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #474 of 2,198
don't forget the Japanese market Z900.
Have a search through the Z900 thread(s) you'll probably find the versions.
Apparently a lot of fakes also. I think there was info regarding  how to spot those

Jan 3, 2017 at 3:46 AM Post #475 of 2,198
I've already scoured the most popular and populated threads about the V900, but the only thing I can find is a lot of hate and disappointment about this headphone (a sentiment I do not share).
These are no doubt genuine. The two biggest giveaways are the real metal outer cups (not plastic) and the obviously genuine driver, also a reassuring "made in Japan" imprint on headband, but that's no guarantee :D

Seems like the copies only started flooding out with the V900HD, and those fakes didn't even have 50mm drivers! Just cheap Chinese 40mm's, the kind you find in cheap headsets and entry level AKGs. 

Jan 3, 2017 at 5:35 AM Post #476 of 2,198
Jan 3, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #477 of 2,198
Ah yes, nice website; I've had that bookmarked for a while.
Might be a good idea, I'll comb the site, see if I can find a contact info.

Jan 13, 2017 at 3:26 AM Post #480 of 2,198
Sennheiser HD 222 (600 Ω)

DO NOT OPEN. 
Learn from my mistake. This headphone wasn't designed to be opened. 
The Baffle plate is glued into the the Voice-Coil area. Whoever designed this was a total idiot, there was no need to glue it. 
What a waste, so unhappy that I wrecked these but was completely an Engineering oversight by the imbecile at Sennheiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back