The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Mar 19, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #5,326 of 6,325
  I am about to get a GS-X mk-II, however, I have noticed that for the same price I could get a Woo Audio WA22 and a Bryston BHA1.

My main cans are HD800 (balanced), D7000 (SE), and as a balanced pre-amp for a 727A+sr-009.

The most important thing for me is detail, and everything else takes second place. So I am wondering how the Bryston BHA1 compare to the GS-X. This way I could use the WA22 for non critical listening...

Is it better to get two amps instead of the one?

For comparison, I previously had a Ragnarok and was mostly satisfied with its performance, I can no longer use it but it ran dangerously hot.
My main DAC is a Holo Spring.

Please let me know if I can provide any other information that might help
tongue_smile.gif

I have both the Spring/GS-Xmk2.
If your main concern is detail then that is what you'll be getting. I cant speak for the WA22/BHA-1 being I've never heard either.
I've had both the HD800/S running balanced through my system and both sounded excellent to IMO/IME.
Is it better to have 2 amps? That would be your personal preference.

Mar 19, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #5,327 of 6,325

I have both the Spring/GS-Xmk2.
If your main concern is detail then that is what you'll be getting. I cant speak for the WA22/BHA-1 being I've never heard either.
I've had both the HD800/S running balanced through my system and both sounded excellent to IMO/IME.
Is it better to have 2 amps? That would be your personal preference.

Thanks for the info
gs1000.gif

I personally prefer one system to rule them all
tongue_smile.gif
As in I prefer to have one TOTL system than 2 Mid-range systems.
gs1000.gif

I was wondering if there is more 'flexibility' in 2 amps compared to one.

Are there anything areas you wish there could be improved on your holo+gsx combo?

Mar 19, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #5,328 of 6,325
I am about to get a GS-X mk-II, however, I have noticed that for the same price I could get a Woo Audio WA22 and a Bryston BHA1.

My main cans are HD800 (balanced), D7000 (SE), and as a balanced pre-amp for a 727A+sr-009.

The most important thing for me is detail, and everything else takes second place. So I am wondering how the Bryston BHA1 compare to the GS-X. This way I could use the WA22 for non critical listening...

For comparison, I previously had a Ragnarok and was mostly satisfied with its performance, I can no longer use it but it ran dangerously hot.

tongue_smile.gif

How much control of upgradeitis do you have :)

When I was making my decision on amps, the GSX had a wait time of 1 year or more, so I bought the Bryston to use while I waited. Also have a Woo 6SE. When I had the Bryston, my listening was split fairly evenly between it and the Woo.

Since my GSX mk2 came, it gets the vast majority of my listening time, though it is nice to have the tube amp for the occasional changeup. The biggest compliment I can share about the Headamp is that since it arrived a couple of years ago, I've had zero desire to look for any other solid state amp.

IMO, with the current wait times on the GSX being much shorter, I'd go for that purchase first, then save up for the WA-22 - don't forget to include some additional money for tube upgrades. The stock tubes Woo uses aren't going to provide anything close to the best their amps are capable of. With the WA-22se on the horizon, there might be some used WA-22s showing up as well.

The good news: all of the amps you're considering are solid products, so there isn't really a wrong answer.

Mar 19, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #5,329 of 6,325

Thanks for the info
gs1000.gif

I personally prefer one system to rule them all
tongue_smile.gif
As in I prefer to have one TOTL system than 2 Mid-range systems.
gs1000.gif

I was wondering if there is more 'flexibility' in 2 amps compared to one.

Are there anything areas you wish there could be improved on your holo+gsx combo?

Your welcome.

If you prefer to have 1 system I would highly recommend the GS-Xmk2, but don't forget I have no experience with the BHA-1/WA22.
I have no complaints at all about the combo in any way/shape/form.

[size=x-small]I also have a WA6 (which I love) but unfortunately [/size]doesn't[size=x-small] get much use at all anymore. I just cant bring myself to part with it.[/size]

[size=x-small]Also, keep in mind what @bfreedmasaid about the cost of good tubes.[/size]

Mar 19, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #5,330 of 6,325
How much control of upgradeitis do you have
smily_headphones1.gif

It's semi under control. As long as I'm at the point where there's not significant improvement without at least doubling the price I'm happy
bigsmile_face.gif

Take the Holo Spring as an example....A DAC1 probably sounds much better, but it's many times the price.
So I am looking for my endgame amp(s?).

When I was making my decision on amps, the GSX had a wait time of 1 year or more, so I bought the Bryston to use while I waited. Also have a Woo 6SE. When I had the Bryston, my listening was split fairly evenly between it and the Woo.

Since my GSX mk2 came, it gets the vast majority of my listening time, though it is nice to have the tube amp for the occasional changeup. The biggest compliment I can share about the Headamp is that since it arrived a couple of years ago, I've had zero desire to look for any other solid state amp.

IMO, with the current wait times on the GSX being much shorter, I'd go for that purchase first, then save up for the WA-22 - don't forget to include some additional money for tube upgrades. The stock tubes Woo uses aren't going to provide anything close to the best their amps are capable of. With the WA-22se on the horizon, there might be some used WA-22s showing up as well.

I have a strong preference for a solid state to be my main amp, since the idea of tubes being a "consumable" still give me nightmares.
How do you compare the BHA-1with the GS-X? Would you consider them to be a different tier of product in terms of SQ?
tongue_smile.gif

Most amps I've came across that's over the 1K mark are pretty solid
beerchug.gif

To be realistic, we are really only talking about the remaining 5% - 10% improvement... haha. So that extra 5% -10% (or more?) there on the GS-X compared to the BHA-1?

And by the looks of things, I'd probably drop the WA22. I know for me the tube rolling part is never going to end
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 19, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #5,331 of 6,325

tongue_smile.gif

Owned the WA22 and listened to the BHA-1 several times....get the GS-X MK2!!! Head above shoulders better. Nothing is as balanced, nor "data mines" every last detail like the GS-X to my ears. Works brilliantly with the Kitsune Level 3 Spring DAC also!!!

Mar 19, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #5,332 of 6,325

Owned the WA22 and listened to the BHA-1 several times....get the GS-X MK2!!! Head above shoulders better. Nothing is as balanced, nor "data mines" every last detail like the GS-X to my ears. Works brilliantly with the Kitsune Level 3 Spring DAC also!!!

Thank you very much for the info!
gs1000.gif
That's what I needed
L3000.gif

Also thank you very much to everyone else who has commented!
beerchug.gif

I have just ordered a GS-X from the local distributor... it's going to take 2 months
popcorn.gif

Mar 19, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #5,333 of 6,325
  Thank you very much for the info!
gs1000.gif
That's what I needed
L3000.gif

Also thank you very much to everyone else who has commented!
beerchug.gif

I have just ordered a GS-X from the local distributor... it's going to take 2 months
popcorn.gif

Congrats! Had mine for several years now and have zero inclinations for any changes for a new amp.

Mar 20, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #5,334 of 6,325

[...] get the GS-X MK2!!! Head above shoulders better. Nothing is as balanced, nor "data mines" every last detail like the GS-X to my ears. Works brilliantly [...]!!!

I wholeheartly agree. Already regret selling mine (for the sake of just having it). Good thing I still have the BHSE.

Mar 21, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #5,335 of 6,325
well thanks to the above two, I'm done

Mar 23, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #5,338 of 6,325
Welcome and enjoy your amp!

I turn mine off when not in use and have gone through an on/off cycle close to daily for a few years without any problems.

Agreed...I turn mine off too when not in use.

Mar 31, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #5,340 of 6,325
  Sorry, new to here.
Just get  GS-X MK2!! Simple question is do I need to leave it on always? Or just open it when I use? Is that ok to open/close it frequently? Thanks. 

There is no need to leave it on all the time. Don't worry about power cycling it as need be.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back