The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
May 25, 2017 at 4:07 AM Post #9,542 of 12,970
I've been using the DD DXB-04 for a week or so now with my iPhone 7 Plus and iFi micro DSD BL combo. Pretty frickin' impressed with them.

If you like to EQ, for $100 you really can't go wrong. They just love EQ.

Last edited:
May 25, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #9,543 of 12,970
I've been using the DD DXB-04 for a week or so now with my iPhone 7 Plus and iFi micro DSD BL combo. Pretty frickin' impressed with them.

If you like to EQ, for $100 you really can't go wrong. They just love EQ.

Coming from car audio i had to have the Digital Design stuff. It sounds great is gravy. I listen to them more than anything else right now.

May 25, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #9,544 of 12,970
Are you owning a set now?

How hard do they hit?

Well it's a planar, so "hits" are different. It goes low and does it clean. Vibrations does go through the Audeze pads that were used on the units. Also there were attenuator disks inside the pads, to bring the subbass out. It's a different experience vs the Fostex Purplehearts that I listened too right before that. The Purplehearts had driver dampening applied and new pads with the same attenuator disks inside the pads. Portable amps didn't cut it with the Monolith's. It's with the Zamp that the true colors came out from the Planars. Remember that the speaker outputs were used to my modded Rolls PM52's. As you can see in the pics, the two dudes were just enjoying their Monolith's on a whole different level. Same thing with the overpriced Audeze units. Subbass was clean with my amp while everything still sounded smooth. Mr. Speakers Aeon didn't come close to the Monolith's subbass on my rig.

May 25, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #9,545 of 12,970
Also there were attenuator disks inside the pads, to bring the subbass out. It's a different experience vs the Fostex Purplehearts that I listened too right before that. The Purplehearts had driver dampening applied and new pads with the same attenuator disks inside the pads. Portable amps didn't cut it with the Monolith's. It's with the Zamp that the true colors came out from the Planars. Remember that the speaker outputs were used to my modded Rolls PM52's. As you can see in the pics, the two dudes were just enjoying their Monolith's on a whole different level. Same thing with the overpriced Audeze units. Subbass was clean with my amp while everything still sounded smooth. Mr. Speakers Aeon didn't come close to the Monolith's subbass on my rig.

How long have they been putting disks in pads?
If anyone can confirm when this started I'd appreciate the info.

May 25, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #9,546 of 12,970
How long have they been putting disks in pads?
If anyone can confirm when this started I'd appreciate the info.
I have no clue man. But I read it somewhere on the forum and on the web about attenuators inside earpads. Never build one, but I'm going to experiment one of these days. I know that I can't do it with the JVC's, as the bass comes out of little tubes.

May 25, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #9,547 of 12,970
May 25, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #9,550 of 12,970
What is the exact purpose of that ring?
From what I've read, those rings supposedly "focus" sound into the earpad chamber and also bring out the sub bass for the Fostex headphones, as to the science behind it, I have yet to find and info

Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #9,552 of 12,970
Hmmm, interesting. Thanks for the info Macky.

A solid object (or more dense) is going to react to the vibration in the chassis/cup of the headphone. I did a vid in 2014 describing how the only way to get comfy pads and the bass sensation of the stiff 55x pads would be to put a solid material in between.

I actually said it in a vid and wondered aloud why some companies did not offer it as it would make non cannon cans more basshead friendly via pad switch since the sensation would be enhanced but sig not bothered. I was pretty convinced that is why a guy sent me a PM weeks later asking for volunteers for a new concept related to my utterances. Not exactly but inspired by. He went the force feedback route (KANNON)

The bass you feel is the bass that's real.

That was my mantra and why the basshead community split into folks that talk about bass and folks that show bass.

Glad a company finally picked up on the uber easy concept.

May 26, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #9,553 of 12,970
Well it's a planar, so "hits" are different. It goes low and does it clean. Vibrations does go through the Audeze pads that were used on the units. Also there were attenuator disks inside the pads, to bring the subbass out. It's a different experience vs the Fostex Purplehearts that I listened too right before that. The Purplehearts had driver dampening applied and new pads with the same attenuator disks inside the pads. Portable amps didn't cut it with the Monolith's. It's with the Zamp that the true colors came out from the Planars. Remember that the speaker outputs were used to my modded Rolls PM52's. As you can see in the pics, the two dudes were just enjoying their Monolith's on a whole different level. Same thing with the overpriced Audeze units. Subbass was clean with my amp while everything still sounded smooth. Mr. Speakers Aeon didn't come close to the Monolith's subbass on my rig.

Correction on the M1060, there was no attenuator plates used inside the earpads, just the Audeze pads. I did briefly try the same attenuators that I made for my TH-X00 PH's in the M1060's on your rig and there was barely any noticeable difference, nothing like the difference they make with the J-money pads on the TH-X00. The Audeze pads do have a stiff disc in the pad base though.

The attenuator I made are just simple manila folder/hanging file folder cut shapes that fit in the rear section of the inside of the earpad. You can experiment with different materials and shapes, but the idea seems to be keep the material in the 180 degree region behind the ear to not messup the mids and highs. The Dekoni plastic attenuator donuts really muddy things up and make the mids and highs sound worse, do not like them at all. The custom attenuators really makes a huge difference on the Fostex TH-X00 with J-Money pads and the Philips SHP9500 with Shure 1840 pads, but hardly any difference at all on the M1060 with Audeze pads.

The SHP9500 really rock for gaming with the attenuators in... explosions and shooting have proper weight to them while the sound stays very directional and detailed/clear. The TH-X00 PH with attenuators are absolutely stupid insane on the bass in Destiny, cracking the throttle on you Sparrow (speeder bike) gives an insane low end jet like roar have not heard before and now shooting shanks and throwing grenades just to hear the explosions they make....LOL Sound design in Destiny is way above average...love it. No microphone setup for the TH-X00 though as opposed the SHP9500's with V-moda Boom PRO microphone setup.

Couple of pictures showing what I the pad attenuators look like/where they go:

i-2nnmrQf.jpg

i-pGBXNPB.jpg

They can be installed or removed in just a few seconds...

Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #9,554 of 12,970
Correction on the M1060, there was no attenuator plates used inside the earpads, just the Audeze pads. I did briefly try the same attenuators that I made for my TH-X00 PH's in the M1060's on your rig and there was barely any noticeable difference, nothing like the difference they make with the J-money pads on the TH-X00. The Audeze pads do have a stiff disc in the pad base though.

The attenuator I made are just simple manila folder/hanging file folder cut shapes that fit in the rear section of the inside of the earpad. You can experiment with different materials and shapes, but the idea seems to be keep the material in the 180 degree region behind the ear to not messup the mids and highs. The Dekoni plastic attenuator donuts really muddy things up and make the mids and highs sound worse, do not like them at all. The custom attenuators really makes a huge difference on the Fostex TH-X00 with J-Money pads and the Philips SHP9500 with Shure 1840 pads, but hardly any difference at all on the M1060 with Audeze pads.

The SHP9500 really rock for gaming with the attenuators in... explosions and shooting have proper weight to them while the sound stays very directional and detailed/clear. The TH-X00 PH with attenuators are absolutely stupid insane on the bass in Destiny, cracking the throttle on you Sparrow (speeder bike) gives an insane low end jet like roar have not heard before and now shooting shanks and throwing grenades just to hear the explosions they make....LOL Sound design in Destiny is way above average...love it. No microphone setup for the TH-X00 though as opposed the SHP9500's with V-moda Boom PRO microphone setup.

Couple of pictures showing what I the pad attenuators look like/where they go:

i-2nnmrQf.jpg

i-pGBXNPB.jpg

They can be installed or removed in just a few seconds...

Pics and vids are awesome. This is the OCD/ADHD zone . Thanks for the pics

May 29, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #9,555 of 12,970
First, our meet in Houston, TX, then our meet thread, then the Monoprice M1060 thread. After hearing at least one of their experiences from the M1060 thread, the rig that @snellemin made should be pictured here, too:
9946738.jpg

Did any of you guys try the closed back version of the Monoprice planar? Very curious on how the set would do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back