The Fiio A5 thread: an upgrade of E12A, MUSES02+LME49600, 800mW, 19Vp-p, 12 hours
Apr 2, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #511 of 1,039

​I have not compared but the power output looks to be less on the topping.  I have no experience with the Topping but my reply is a bump for your inquiry. Maybe somebody else will answer :)

Thanks! I was about to purchase one when I stumbled across a Topping NX5 ad. But sadly, there are still no concrete reviews of the product in the net so...

Apr 4, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #516 of 1,039
I also recommend FiiO K5 for HD800. It is in the same price range, but should have a bit more power 
beerchug.gif

Apr 4, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #517 of 1,039
  I also recommend FiiO K5 for HD800. It is in the same price range, but should have a bit more power 
beerchug.gif

FiiO K5 is just perfect DAC/Amp I've been looking for. Thank you for your suggestion. Can you share your experience with K5?

Edit: The only downsides are that it's not portable and the dock only works with their FiiO players. I'm still considering K5, but I'd like to have more suggestions before I decide to go ahead with the purchase.

Apr 4, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #518 of 1,039

FiiO K5 is just perfect DAC/Amp I've been looking for. Thank you for your suggestion. Can you share your experience with K5?

Edit: The only downsides are that it's not portable and the dock only works with their FiiO players. I'm still considering K5, but I'd like to have more suggestions before I decide to go ahead with the purchase.

FiiO K5 is an AMP, it doesn't have a DAC of its own, just like A5. 

Driving HD800, I would  say that K5 can get to very good results. Clean sound, very good details and soundstage. The sound is more lean that it is on Tube AMPs like Wa22. Loudness wise, it does a very good job! 

Apr 8, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #519 of 1,039
Hello, i'm here and just wondering how the Fiio A5 compares to the Aune B1 2016 and Oppo Ha2-Se. I currently am using my HTC 10 with poweramp alpha and the Dac to me is very comparable to the Dac in the HA2-Se. I just need an amp that sounds very clear and transparent with good deatil retrieval and soundstage. I used to own the Shozy Magic but was only good for iems. The headphones I been using are the Fidelio X2 and Oriveti New Primacy. So out of the A5, B1 and Ha2-Se which had the clearest, cleaner and widest amp section? I also need the amp to be good with low sensitivity and low ohm iems. Example the Oriveti New Primacy.

Apr 11, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #520 of 1,039
I bought a Fiio E18 to use with Tidal on my cell phone. I'm pushing anything from DT 990S 250OHM, to ATH-MSR7s, to M40x and SHP-9500s. The problem is, the E18 is basically not usable for me as it picks up a lot of interference from the cellular signal while near the phone.

So, I need something that size or smaller to pair with my phone that will drive my headphones and not have the same interference issues. Any advice? Does the A5 have proper insulation so that when placed in the same pocket as my phone it minimizes the popping and hissing of the cellular signal?

Bumping my original question as I never really got a response.

Apr 11, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #521 of 1,039
Bumping my original question as I never really got a response.

A5 shouldn't get much EMI, but it cannot replace E18 either. A5 is not a DAC / AMP, but an AMP. 

I'm not sure if adding E18 + A5 would reduce the amount of EMI you're experiencing. 

The last FiiO device I knew of that had EMI problems was X5 first generation. 

X5 second generation didn't present any more EMi problems, and I assumed all of them were EMI free... 

Apr 11, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #522 of 1,039
A5 shouldn't get much EMI, but it cannot replace E18 either. A5 is not a DAC / AMP, but an AMP. 

I'm not sure if adding E18 + A5 would reduce the amount of EMI you're experiencing. 

The last FiiO device I knew of that had EMI problems was X5 first generation. 

X5 second generation didn't present any more EMi problems, and I assumed all of them were EMI free... 

I appreciate the reply. At this point it wouldn't matter. I don't use the dac function of the E18 anyway.

Apr 11, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #524 of 1,039
I just want an amp to drive some of my headphones that doesn't introduce EMI when paired with my phone.

I honestly cannot say for sure at this point since I only owned E12A for a longer period of time
redface.gif

E12A had no EMI at all in my experience, but I've tested A5 while sitting at a table, with my phone being pretty far. If I manage to test it while my phone is near it, I'll return with an answer!
L3000.gif

Apr 11, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #525 of 1,039
I just want an amp to drive some of my headphones that doesn't introduce EMI when paired with my phone.

Give me a couple of hours and ill report back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back