The Etymotics HF5 Thread
Jan 2, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #511 of 567
hat sure does look like a good price! Thanks!
Thanks for the rec. I hadn't heard of them. Funny you should mention them actually, because I am currently still using a pair of Audeo PFE earphones & it looks like Trinity's "Techne" model is a dead ringer for the PFE's... I wonder how the sound compares. Looks like their are new Delta's coming in February.

There are a lot of really good reviews for various trinity headphones by people on head-fi. I absolutely love my deltas; they sound great and are extremely comfortable (they do isolate less noise than my etymotics). It seems like the main difference for the new deltas is the detachable cable and more filters.

It's a new company, less than a year old. I bought mine from the original Kickstarter campaign and they are the primary earphones I use now. I wish I had the extra money to justify preordering some of their upcoming earphones.

Jul 19, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #512 of 567
Hi everyone, 

I have a little problem with the HF5's eartips. A few weeks ago the black 2-flange eartip got stuck in my ear when I was taking it out. It happened to me once before with the standard 3-flange type before but this time it got quite deep and well... had a little trip to the hospital to take it out. So now I am looking for a different kind of eartips. I don't really like the foam ones, are there any other eartips you can recommend?

Jul 22, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #513 of 567
I don't think this is a tip issue.  Ety does massive design enginnering in ever facet of their business.  The HF5 nozzle has a barb or champfer on it to keep the tips on snug so they don't just slide off (unlike  Westone that has nothing on the nozzle).  It is truly puzzling how that could even happen?

The only way I could see it happening is if the tip was massively tight in your ears.  Can you get the same great sound from the next size smaller tip?...or not put them in so far?  Something doesn't seem right for that to happen.  I definitely would not recommend any other tip.

Jul 23, 2016 at 5:08 AM Post #514 of 567
It wasn't a size problem for me. The tips were quite small actually. I've used bigger ones before without any discomfort. It's possible that they were too worn so they went off the nozzle. I do put them quite far in to get a tight seal though.  I have been thinking about trying the Shure olives. Do you think they are a good choice? The Klipsch ones seem most interesting to me but I can't get them anywhere here in the Czech Republic. I can also get the Comply foam tips. What do you think of them and what's the difference between for example the T-200 and T-500.
Thanks

Jul 24, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #515 of 567
I'm not a fan of the Shure olives material plus they seem to stick on nozzles too securely where you can damage the IEM when removing.

As a devoted Westone "Star" tip fan I haven't kept up on all the Comply products.  There seems to be many these days.  When I was using them I preferred the longer tips which seemed to increase the soundstage.  Could have been my imagination but that's what I thought.

What about the black charcoal Ety foams?  I always like those as well.  Might want to start there.

Jul 26, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #516 of 567
  It wasn't a size problem for me. The tips were quite small actually. I've used bigger ones before without any discomfort. It's possible that they were too worn so they went off the nozzle. I do put them quite far in to get a tight seal though.  I have been thinking about trying the Shure olives. Do you think they are a good choice? The Klipsch ones seem most interesting to me but I can't get them anywhere here in the Czech Republic. I can also get the Comply foam tips. What do you think of them and what's the difference between for example the T-200 and T-500.
Thanks

Sorry to hear that you had issues with your eartips.

We usually recommend that the eartips be replaced every few months because the material tends to loosen over time.  There isn't a hard time frame for it and it can vary based on how often they are used, body chemistry, etc.

Generally, I would recommend checking them periodically against a new pair and see how tight they hold onto the stem.  If they are much looser than a new pair of tips, I'd replace them.

Aug 24, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #518 of 567
Curious, It said 15kh upper frequency limit. Still can anyone hear above that?

What did you say? Can you please repeat that in a lower pitched voice, so I can hear you? 
wink.gif

Aug 25, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #520 of 567
Just got the hf5. Yes I can hear 16kh, need to make it louder with eq. Funny though that previously I suspect my earcanal create peak at 7-8khz on every iem I own. With ety it's kind of compensated with ety's 7-8kh dip.

Aug 25, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #521 of 567
Just got the hf5. Yes I can hear 16kh, need to make it louder with eq. Funny though that previously I suspect my earcanal create peak at 7-8khz on every iem I own. With ety it's kind of compensated with ety's 7-8kh dip.

If you insert them as deep as ety wants you to, the resonance frequency of your ear canal should be much higher.

Aug 28, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #523 of 567
How deep the optimal insertion is if you ever measure it in mm? I use small 3-flange.

I don't have the faintest clue as to the optimal insertion depth in mm. My rule of thumb: Just ram them into your ear canals as you would do with  any "ordinary" (non-ety) deep insertion IEMs. Then go deeper until it hurts. And then some. Now you are almost there. 
biggrin.gif

If you get a good seal with small tri flange tips, chances are you're pretty deep. If you don't notice a peak at a frequency where it's annoying, don't worry, be happy. I don't have that much luck with ety tri flange tips, so I use small Shure olives instead.

Aug 29, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #524 of 567
Hey I think I get it. Just make sure the tip inserted so the biggest flange swallowed all the way inside the ear canal. They sound bright and airy without ever sound harsh it's awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back