The Entry Level Stax Thread
Apr 7, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #2,626 of 3,322
​All 3 were quite ok for me during my testing session.

The L500 and L700 earpads are much deeper than the L300s, and were almost identical in comfort, both cleared my ears fine. To be fair the L300 pads were "ok" even though they looked really flat and shallow, about half the depth of the other 2. 

With the L300 I could feel my eartips just touching the inside surface of the earspeaker and since the sheepskin were available for approx. 125 USD I just figured why not.

Was planning to get the sheepskin pads at first, but decided to try out the socas audio adapters with zmf lambskins. They look so flufy

Apr 7, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #2,628 of 3,322
Was planning to get the sheepskin pads at first, but decided to try out the socas audio adapters with zmf lambskins. They look so flufy

How do the socas audio adapters with zmf lambskins compare soundwise?
I was curious about those adapters but when I tried aftermarket earpads on the L300s, it sounded nicer when I placed the pads directly onto the earpiece rather than on top of the ejectable plastic piece that the original pads were on. Just thought that those adapters might affect the sound similarly.

Apr 7, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #2,629 of 3,322
Apr 7, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #2,631 of 3,322
FYI, there's a 2170 "pro" system (not sure if the pro is official or if the author just put it there) on sale on ebay right now for $650. Link
I was tempted... but I don't have the money yet : (

Apr 7, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #2,632 of 3,322

How do the socas audio adapters with zmf lambskins compare soundwise?
I was curious about those adapters but when I tried aftermarket earpads on the L300s, it sounded nicer when I placed the pads directly onto the earpiece rather than on top of the electable plastic piece that the original pads were on. Just thought that those adapters might affect the sound similarly.

I just ordered them this week, will update you guys when I receive it. Thanks feedback online seems to be good, although purists insists on using thin and uncomfortable pads to avoid any potential change to the sound.

Apr 7, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #2,633 of 3,322
Just to clarify, what I meant was, I'd like to know if you(or anyone) notice a difference in sound between putting '(ZMF) pads directly onto the earpiece without any adapters' vs '(ZMF) pads with the socas adapters'. But after you receive them of course.

Apr 7, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #2,634 of 3,322
  FYI, there's a 2170 "pro" system (not sure if the pro is official or if the author just put it there) on sale on ebay right now for $650. Link
I was tempted... but I don't have the money yet : (

Looks like the "Pro" moniker was added by the seller, as he added SR-407 pads and cable.

Not fond of the 2-tone colors, but not a bad price I think.

Apr 11, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #2,636 of 3,322
Can anyone tell me if the stax 207 would improve with a much better amp than the srs 252s.

I purchased a used SRM-1 Mk2 for $300. I only had a few hours with it, so can't do an in-depth analysis...but I did notice an improvement on my SR-207 versus the stock SRM 252S. I actually think the SRM-1 is a great value at its' current prices.

Apr 11, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #2,637 of 3,322
I purchased a used SRM-1 Mk2 for $300. I only had a few hours with it, so can't do an in-depth analysis...but I did notice an improvement on my SR-207 versus the stock SRM 252S. I actually think the SRM-1 is a great value at its' current prices.

May I ask, improvement in which areas specifically? And did you volume match?

Apr 12, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #2,640 of 3,322
May I ask, improvement in which areas specifically? And did you volume match?

I would also like to know what improvement you noticed. 

I have tried the 207 with the 252s and with my bigger 717 amp. It does improve slightly. It mainly opens up and shows better dynamics, but the general character remains the same.

My time was far too limited, and was more focused on squeezing as much listening time out of L700 in that timeframe as possible. I started switching amps with both pair as an afterthought, and far too late.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back