The Cayin C5 portable power house.
Mar 10, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #2,222 of 2,420
Has anyone tried to swap the OPA134 for a different opamp like NE5532 or AD-something?

I don't think i've ever seen a picture of an opened C5. I know surface mount work is required but want to do it.

[rule]

Just because it doesn't NEED bass boost doesn't mean you shouldn't bass boost!!!

High gain and bass boost on my C5 always! SZ2000, Aurora, Cappuccino mk2, XB90EX, MAG7 all slamming hard.

Using c5 with my synthesizers!!!

Mar 11, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #2,223 of 2,420
Has anyone tried to swap the OPA134 for a different opamp like NE5532 or AD-something?

I don't think i've ever seen a picture of an opened C5. I know surface mount work is required but want to do it.

Just because it doesn't NEED bass boost doesn't mean you shouldn't bass boost!!!

High gain and bass boost on my C5 always! SZ2000, Aurora, Cappuccino mk2, XB90EX, MAG7 all slamming hard.

That's gangster right there my friend.  

There isn't enough space for putting a socket in the cayin. I never opened up the other side to confirm.  But if  there is enough space, it wouldn't be too hard to do.

Mar 11, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #2,224 of 2,420
That's gangster right there my friend.  

There isn't enough space for putting a socket in the cayin. I never opened up the other side to confirm.  But if  there is enough space, it wouldn't be too hard to do.

Thanks for that pic i could never find myself!

Not planning on socketing it, was just gonna slap on a 5532 and hope it was good :joy:

Mar 12, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #2,225 of 2,420

Zomg dawg. That is a remarkably bassy collection. High gain for the iem's as well or only the sz2000? The bass boost for my IT03 is great to utilize when I'm in a BOOM BOOM sort of mood however it is simply too much for a lot of my music. I thought it was very well implemented, however.

Mar 12, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #2,226 of 2,420
Zomg dawg. That is a remarkably bassy collection. High gain for the iem's as well or only the sz2000? The bass boost for my IT03 is great to utilize when I'm in a BOOM BOOM sort of mood however it is simply too much for a lot of my music. I thought it was very well implemented, however.

I high gain everything even earbuds.
Only use low gain with iems when i want more volume control really...

Mar 12, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #2,228 of 2,420
I see. I am new to amps (just had my c5 come in 2 weeks ago) and someone on this thread reccomended low gain at all times. Is there a benefit to high gain?

I can not imagine a scenario you would never want to use high gain? Maybe if you only own iems so sensitive you dont need an amp really in the first place?

There's absolutely no reason to avoid high gain for any reason. Achieving the same volume on both gain settings you will find the high gain has a more energetic and dynamic sound. I would argue always high gain should be used unless you have a reason to go low gain such as you cant use any of the volume knob without your headphones getting too loud.

I also eq always and have non bass frequencies a little recessed so i can make use of the higher power of amps.

Another reason is if there is background noise with high gain that isnt there with low gain

Mar 13, 2017 at 1:45 AM Post #2,229 of 2,420
I can not imagine a scenario you would never want to use high gain? Maybe if you only own iems so sensitive you dont need an amp really in the first place?

There's absolutely no reason to avoid high gain for any reason. Achieving the same volume on both gain settings you will find the high gain has a more energetic and dynamic sound. I would argue always high gain should be used unless you have a reason to go low gain such as you cant use any of the volume knob without your headphones getting too loud.

I also eq always and have non bass frequencies a little recessed so i can make use of the higher power of amps.

Another reason is if there is background noise with high gain that isnt there with low gain

Solid. Much appreciated.

Mar 17, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #2,230 of 2,420
how insane would it be to take a dead battery c5 , remove the battery and wire up a dc jack, power it with a dc linear psu?

could probably remove the potentiometer, wire up a diff one, wire the two 3.5mm's to some RCA's and a 6.5mm on the front...?

@Andykong  do you approve if it's out of warranty? =)

Mar 18, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #2,231 of 2,420
how insane would it be to take a dead battery c5 , remove the battery and wire up a dc jack, power it with a dc linear psu?

could probably remove the potentiometer, wire up a diff one, wire the two 3.5mm's to some RCA's and a 6.5mm on the front...?

@Andykong
  do you approve if it's out of warranty? =)

If it is out of warranty, you got nothing to lose, right? :D

I am interested about the LPS approach as well, but I guess you probably can fit the C5 circuit board into a LPS directly, it won't take up a lot of space. Will you use 12V LPS for the job, or you can custom design your LPS to 11V?? For the record, the battery of C5 is a stack of three 3.7V Lithium battery (3x3.7V = 11.1V). If your LPS is quiet enough, the improvement should be substantial.

The rest of the modification are pretty "straight" forward consider when compare to the power supply modification.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 18, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #2,232 of 2,420
I see. I am new to amps (just had my c5 come in 2 weeks ago) and someone on this thread reccomended low gain at all times. Is there a benefit to high gain?

The high gain actually sound warmer and more dynamic, like a high quality tube amplifier, its sound signature appeals to a lot of C5 users. The soundstage will open up as well in my experience.

but I guess most BA based IEM won't get pass mark 1 of the volume pot with your C5 in high gain.

Mar 18, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #2,233 of 2,420
If it is out of warranty, you got nothing to lose, right?
biggrin.gif

I am interested about the LPS approach as well, but I guess you probably can fit the C5 circuit board into a LPS directly, it won't take up a lot of space. Will you use 12V LPS for the job, or you can custom design your LPS to 11V?? For the record, the battery of C5 is a stack of three 3.7V Lithium battery (3x3.7V = 11.1V). If your LPS is quiet enough, the improvement should be substantial.

The rest of the modification are pretty "straight" forward consider when compare to the power supply modification.

Andy -

Major shouts out to Cayin for sharing details like battery voltage... I'll be sure to make sure you see the finished product! 

My plan was to bring the LPS down to 11V, and really glad to hear it'll improve! I'm excited to see what C5 can do now 
eek.gif

Mar 22, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #2,234 of 2,420
Does anyone know where the current best price shipped to UK for the black cayin C5 is ?

How is the C5 unit/battey holding up over a year+ etc ?

Mar 22, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #2,235 of 2,420
Andy -

Major shouts out to Cayin for sharing details like battery voltage... I'll be sure to make sure you see the finished product! 

My plan was to bring the LPS down to 11V, and really glad to hear it'll improve! I'm excited to see what C5 can do now :eek:

You are welcome. Please come back and share your result, I am really looking forward to this extremely interesting attempt on our C5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back