The Best of Head-Fi

Discussion in 'Currawong' started by currawong, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Currawong Contributor

2. Currawong Contributor
    A good comment about replying to negativity: 

kapanak likes this.
  3. Currawong Contributor
    On vinyl mastering: 

4. wink
    .... and here, I thought vinyl was something to make cheap tablecloths and shower curtains out of...........       [​IMG]   Live and learn....    [​IMG]

5. x RELIC x Contributor
    I think I should clarify my initial vinyl comment as I believe I've grossly generalized and I was not clear with my intention. Btw, the context of my quoted reply was an employee screaming at a customer, which I took issue with.

Now, what I meant to say is that the very nature of the vinyl medium does not allow for clamped music which is more often found in CD than vinyl. On these mixes that are over driven and clamped from the studio (because they can with digital) a different level output needs to be done specifically for the vinyl pressing or else the stylus will skip out of the groove. In this case a vinyl version will be better dynamically than a clamped CD version of a particular mix. The dynamic range of the formats themselves is not in question, just that the tendency to create mixes too hot and that clip on CD will sound better on the vinyl version. With the headroom in the studio mix the tracks often don't need new masters, just to reduce the intensity in the mix for the vinyl press.

On a side note I am increasingly frustrated with studios creating 'hot' mixes to sound better with mediocre gear with less and less regard for audio fidelity. Just because 'you can' doesn't mean 'you should'. In the end I agree with the great info from @neilvg

6. wink
    Progress is not necessarily progress......     [​IMG]

7. Mython Contributor
    It's a pity there isn't more action in this thread - it'd be a nice way of catching-up on some good content.

I'll add anything worthwhile, as and when it happens to cross my path [​IMG]

8. Currawong Contributor
    When you simply can't wait for the company to make an accessory:

x RELIC x likes this.
  9. Mython Contributor
    Aye, you can't fault their creativity in devising those solutions. I have been quietly admiring both those designs, in the Mojo thread.

What it is they say necessity is the mother of? [​IMG]

10. Mython Contributor