The Best of Head-Fi

Discussion in 'Currawong' started by currawong, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Currawong Contributor
    The forums here are incredibly busy, with 2-3000 posts made every day. In all of that, some of the best and most amazing discussion ends up easily lost. This thread is a place for the very best posts you find (the funniest go in my other thread). Please don't start up discussion about the posts here, but do feel free to start a thread about the comments or continue the discussion in the thread where they were posted.

Allow me to start with one that was posted a few days ago in the thread, Would you sell your whole collection for just one SR009/amp:

spitf1r3 and devouringone3 like this.
  2. gopanthersgo1
    Personally, I think that the best thing about the Head-Fi community is the fact that we all work together is some way or another to discover things, that helps form our senses of curiosity, which makes the whole journey fun and enjoyable, while helping satisfy other peoples curiosity.

3. Currawong Contributor
    Saving this for later, as it is a brilliant summary written months ago of one of the trends on Head-Fi:

4. project86 Contributor
    Thanks for the quote Amos. I stand by my opinion on that comment, though I'm flexible on the $200 figure. As an example - the Leckerton UHA-6S mkII is among the best portables I've ever heard, at any price, yet sells for under $300. 

I'd like to add another if I may. The context is the new Abyss headphones from JPS Labs (a cable company) which are just now being unveiled at CanJam a RMAF. Price tag $5,000.

Brilliant. 

heart banger-97 and gelocks like this.
  5. devouringone3
    sphinxvc likes this.
  6. bowei006 Contributor
    sphinxvc likes this.
  7. Currawong Contributor
    Such a useful post. Sadly nobody asked for more information about it, just went back to arguing the same old points of view...

JIGF and heart banger-97 like this.
  8. Salm0n
    I hope it's ok for me to post here. I think this thread is a brilliant idea, and I don't want to see it die due to inactivity.

I'll start my post with a quick intro.
    Head-Fi is a massive forum, and this is a mixed blessing:
    Inevitably when a community grows so large it ends up with a terrible 'signal to noise ratio'. I'm sure anyone who watches the forums regularly has seen dozens of 'Best sub $100 headphones for bass' threads popping up, and while beginners advice is one of the things this forum is good for it does make it very difficult to find the more interesting and insightful content posted.
    On the other hand, such a massive community makes for something that is rarely seen elsewhere. There are a number of small sub groups that pop up, usually circulating around one or two threads, that have a very specific niche topic(for lack of a better word). Groups like these are almost impossible to form on other forums because of numbers - if there are only 5 or 6 people on Head-Fi who are interested you wont find anyone on much smaller forums.

My personal favourite of these sub groups is the DIY Electrostatic guys. They can be found here. I'd like to post a quote, but really the whole thread is great.
    If you're interested in seeing the design process in action, learning more about headphones acoustics and construction, looking for a place to start your own DIY Electrostats (or indeed using the info here to help you with the design of any headphone) or if you just want to see some cool headphones made by some cool people, you should deffinitly check out this thread.

EDIT:Spelling

9. bowei006 Contributor
    I, Honorable Panda of Head-Fi wish to place my bid on The Best of Head-Fi on the Official Anime Thread and the TMAC thread.
    OBEY_PANDA_by_eldudarino25.jpg

10. Currawong Contributor
    Tightening the screw that holds the headband and gimble together on the Fostex TH900s.

11. Currawong Contributor

12. wink
    Quote:
    I give up, Why.

13. Currawong Contributor

Quote:

Because the sound out of it is awful.

Anyway, here's another one from the "Have you found your headphone nirvana yet?" thread:

14. Currawong Contributor
    From the Koss ESP 950 thread:

15. Currawong Contributor
    From the Final Audio Design thread, some interesting discussion: