The Audiophile Bass Lounge (Basshead club part II)
Dec 14, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #1,832 of 1,853
LZA4 IEMs may have a look-in on this thread for quality over sheer quantity.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/lz-a4/reviews/17478

"The sub-bass extension on the A4 is the best I’ve ever heard and only rivaled by one other IEM in my possession. Not only does the bass reach extremely deep it does also have a good impact and excellent quality. Listening to “Creed” (OST) I can actually feel the deepest bass massaging the inner part of my ears even with the black bass filters, pretty amazing. Opposite to many other IEM’s with great sub bass presence the A4 has a very well controlled mid-bass and the sub bass impact is only there when the track calls for it. Although I’ve heard this amazing quality/quantity sub-bass a couple of other times this is probably the best overall bass presentation  for my preferences (deep and impactful sub-bass that’s there when called for combined with a tight and controlled mid-bass) I’ve come across this far in a pair of IEM’s. The mid- and upper bass has enough weight and presence to make Leonard Cohen sound like Leonard Cohen while still doing a great job in not overshadow the midrange. I’d probably describe the overall signature of the A4 with this filter combination as L-shaped just the way the highly praised original A2 was."

Mar 20, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #1,840 of 1,853
It could be all in my head but I could swear the linear PSU I put on all my DAC gear is making my sub bass come thru clearer and harder thru the SZ2k's. Nothing else on my setup has changed and I'm listening to the same few albums i've been repeating all week, there's a definite clear energy added to the sub bass in my music. I'm not A/Bing AC plugs swapping them in and out, but i've been using a switching supply on this dac for 10+ years and just switched to LPS.

Mar 22, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #1,841 of 1,853
I'm not a real basshead but I nearly shat myself when I tested the Pioneer SE-CX8 in Japan. I finally went with the Sony XBA-40 which is not as bassy but can present frequencies far lower than anything I heard before, and after actually.

Mar 22, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #1,842 of 1,853
  It could be all in my head but I could swear the linear PSU I put on all my DAC gear is making my sub bass come thru clearer and harder thru the SZ2k's. Nothing else on my setup has changed and I'm listening to the same few albums i've been repeating all week, there's a definite clear energy added to the sub bass in my music. I'm not A/Bing AC plugs swapping them in and out, but i've been using a switching supply on this dac for 10+ years and just switched to LPS.

I could be that your older PSU were bare minimum, or part of cost cutting.  Your equipment is only as good as its power supply.  Good thing is, now you are enjoying your stuff all over again.

Mar 22, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #1,843 of 1,853
Post linear PSU mod, my DAC is pulling almost a full amp more power at peaks than it could with the stock PSU. IN stock form it can pull a bit over half an amp. Now it is pulling around 1.5 AMPS at peak (when sub bass is REALLY going wild) so i think this is definitive proof the linear psu brought my dac to a new level.

Just saying...

* I never tried it with a switching PSU with higher amperage.

Mar 29, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #1,844 of 1,853
I got this, best bass i have heard in a cheap all in one bluetooth speaker with reasonable battery life, and i live in an apartment so i can't fully enjoy a jvc kaboom or something without upsetting neighbors. scooped mids though. oh well
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010OYASRG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #1,845 of 1,853
What are the best on ear headphones for a bass head? I can go up to £250

Users who are viewing this thread

Back