The All-New WA7 Fireflies from Woo Audio
Feb 24, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #661 of 726
sounds like the upgraded tubes are recommended. do you guys use upgraded tubes in the amp as well as the power supply or do you upgrade the ones in the amp but not the power supply? Thanks

I use and would always recommend to anyone go with the WA7tp plus the upgraded tubes that way your sure to have the absolute best sound from the WA7..

May 25, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #664 of 726
Thanks. I'm looking for a small (preferably tubed) DAC that can also serve as a digital preamp. I don't want to derail the thread, so can people PM me with suggestions? I would use my HA-1 but it's too large for the application I need--to sit on a narrow shelf in my office, connected to a pair of NHT SuperPower 2.1 powered speakers. They have class-D amps but no built in gain control. TIA, Eric

Jun 27, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #665 of 726
Hey Ya'll, Picked up the WA7 and Tube PSU Today.  Spent a couple of hours auditioning with LCD3's (I have the same at home).  I LOVE my LCD3's.  I actually went it to check out the Audeze Deckard Unit.  This stuff is all personal taste, so all my thoughts are my own of course

Home setup Yesterday was a Lyr1 with Mullard tubes fed by a Audioengine D1 DAC.   I had some issues with the mullard tubes I bought, one of them started to have a heavy pink noise that was really audible over music.   (Thanks to Nick who is seriously quick on his feet early on a Saturday morning over at Schitt for some quick tips on how to identify the issue).   Anyway, I had been looking for a new DAC for a while, and was about to pull the trigger on a Bifrost, but hadnt been able to hear one which was making me nervous about shelling out.   

A local dealer here headphone bar is really awesome and ive been wanting to buy something from them for a while (tried to buy my lcds from them but with the breakin that happened they could get stock for a while so found a pair elsewhere).   Anyway, rolled down there to check out the deckard that they had and the Bifrost and they had just brought in the Wa stuff.   hadnt seen it before and man are they gorgeous.  solid fit and finish but the thing that sold me was the big PSU button and the fact that when you turn the unit off, the audio drops quietly down instead of just popping out.   Its little things like that make me want to reward the maker with my hard earned dollars.   well done sirs.   I was obviously REALLY happy with the audio as well.    It reminds me a lot of the lyr with the mullards in it with just a touch more open space which I assume is the better DAC setup. 

The Audeze Deckard left me a bit cold to be honest, and I really wanted to like it.  Was a little less impressed with the design (front panel laser etch looks not as nice as it could) and it runs really hot.   Although the build details are important to me,  Nothing matters really but the audio in the end, and it was super clean but lacked the darker personality I was getting from the lyr and the wa7.   seemed to really push the mids a lot harder and seemed a touch harsh to me on the highs comparatively and lacking in the same subtle detail as the wa7 and even my lyr/mullard.  

Anyway I knew pretty quick this was my ticket.  Too bad a had to drop almost 2k instead of almost 1k on the setup, but I couldnt be happier.    I still love the lyr as well, but ill swing it over to office duty.

On a side note, anybody know if stacking the psu and dac wa7 is really bad news ?   Im sure theres a bit of a heat issue, but anyone know how much?  I put the psu on top as it gets the warmer of the two it seems like.   let me know!

Jun 27, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #666 of 726
  Hey Ya'll, Picked up the WA7 and Tube PSU Today. 

Congrats on your new amp & welcome to the board here's a couple of threads you'll like reading..

http://www.head-fi.org/t/763045/review-wa7-lcd-2f-dac-shoot-out-tube-guide-updated

http://www.head-fi.org/t/715375/woo-audio-wa7tp-tube-power-supply-impressions-thread

Enjoy ask if you need some help with your wa7/tp..

Jun 28, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #667 of 726
loteq, please dont stack the woo wa7tp ontop of the wa7. that just sounds like bad news. the glasstops are not secured and just decorative.

if you are talking about putting a woo component ontop of another brand dac, I think it shld be fine, but do note the wa7 and wa7tp is quite heavy. depends how well built the other stuff is

May 31, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #668 of 726
Hey guys, I've been a long time lurker but I've never really posted on here. I just got a WA7 and I've installed the driver for it but noth my computers refuse to recognize that it's connected. Any suggestions?

Jun 1, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #669 of 726
  Hey guys, I've been a long time lurker but I've never really posted on here. I just got a WA7 and I've installed the driver for it but noth my computers refuse to recognize that it's connected. Any suggestions?

For 1st gen WA7 use this PC driver.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8coxkadcl0n06xk/d7v0EhBNXv

Driver on this page is for 2nd get WA7.

http://wooaudio.com/products/wa7fireflies.html

email info@wooaudio.com if you need additional help.

Jun 13, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #671 of 726
I have just spent my first weekend with my new WA7, I am in love!

As an engineer I really appreciate the incredible design/build of the Woo, I'm now in great danger of convincincing myself I need more, WA8, WA234...
I won't try and describe the sound, or compare it to my Mojo - it sounds wonderful to my ear, and I couldn't be happier!
I will comment on the excelent service however, I placed an order on 7th June and it was delivered to my home in the UK on the 10th. The packaging was superb - you may have seen unboxing videos, if not have a search of you tube.

Not much more to say really.
Happy to answer any sensible questions :)

Jun 14, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #672 of 726
WA7+WA7tp with NEW Focal Utopia headphone. 
beyersmile.png
 Learn more: http://wooaudio.com/headphones/

Jan 31, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #673 of 726
Is there an upgrade program for the latest WA7? I have a gen 1 or 2 and my PC refuses to sense it, after 45 minutes I still can't get it to show up on the device list in control panel let alone output sound. It'd be nice if I could upgrade to the newer one with optical so I don't have to constantly worry about this.

Jan 31, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #674 of 726
  Is there an upgrade program for the latest WA7? I have a gen 1 or 2 and my PC refuses to sense it, after 45 minutes I still can't get it to show up on the device list in control panel let alone output sound. It'd be nice if I could upgrade to the newer one with optical so I don't have to constantly worry about this.

I could be having the same issue with my November 2013 WA7.

For approximately the past year, once every few weeks or perhaps less (I don't use it often) the WA7 would disappear from my devices list. When this happens I would have to unplug and replug the USB cable until it shows up again and it takes 10-30 attempts.

I always thought it was an issue with my PC but now I'm having the same problem with the new PC I just built. Doesn't seem to be OS related either as the old one had Windows 7 and this one's Windows 10.

I have tried:
- Replacing the USB cable.
- Trying different USB ports.
- Reinstalling the latest driver (CM6631A_WIN10-1.01). The driver won't install until I get the WA7 to show up in devices by unplugging and replugging the USB.

Would love some assistance with this as gets very frustrating plugging the cable in and out until it randomly starts working again.

Feb 1, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #675 of 726
Digital-Deviant, Thanks for the post! I've been looking for a good desk top source for the HD650. I'd be interested in your sound impressions on this pairing and music preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back