The all new Continental Dual Mono
Jul 11, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #1,996 of 2,704
i recently bought the cdm and the se846 (4 weeks ago). I find the mids are great in this combo however the bottom end is a little too congested/overdone.

(only used the blue filters thus far)

i"m considering the norne audio silvergarde cable. Any experiences with this combo (including cable)? Wondering if the bottom end might noticeably tighten up

if not I'll keep the slo cdm for other gear and pair my se846 with my pha3 that even though it doesn't have the magic mids of the cdm it suits the se846 better overall (YMMV)

TIA

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #1,997 of 2,704
enjoying and getting further acquainted with my alo cdm (have been using it as a portable amp) but a few questions for those who may know...

* any experinece with the alo case/cover called the glove? is heating an issue with it? how did you find it?

* i have beeen using the cdm with my iphone 6plus. At times the music stops coming through my headphones and i need to disconnect and reconnect the iphone to the cdm (apple cck) or (from memory) turn off and on the cdm to rectify this. I am usually streaming my music - tidal. the music is apparently still playing/streaming with the digital output from the phone engaged (ie the iphone volume controls are not connected) (speakers). In some circumstances the digital signal has disconnected and the music is coming form iphone. is this not unusual? is this perhaps the micro usb cable i am using? is this an ios issue?

* should overheating of the alo cdm be an issue /concern at all in its operation?

* because of streaming i sometimes get some signal noise/interference, particularly when moving on public transport - any tricks to avoiding/minimising this when streaming - apart from physical separating the cdm from the iphone as far as the cable allows?

thanks in advance

Jul 23, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #1,998 of 2,704
enjoying and getting further acquainted with my alo cdm (have been using it as a portable amp) but a few questions for those who may know...

* any experinece with the alo case/cover called the glove? is heating an issue with it? how did you find it?

* i have beeen using the cdm with my iphone 6plus. At times the music stops coming through my headphones and i need to disconnect and reconnect the iphone to the cdm (apple cck) or (from memory) turn off and on the cdm to rectify this. I am usually streaming my music - tidal. the music is apparently still playing/streaming with the digital output from the phone engaged (ie the iphone volume controls are not connected) (speakers). In some circumstances the digital signal has disconnected and the music is coming form iphone. is this not unusual? is this perhaps the micro usb cable i am using? is this an ios issue?

* should overheating of the alo cdm be an issue /concern at all in its operation?

* because of streaming i sometimes get some signal noise/interference, particularly when moving on public transport - any tricks to avoiding/minimising this when streaming - apart from physical separating the cdm from the iphone as far as the cable allows?

thanks in advance

I have the black star case and don't have any overheating problems. It does run quite hot even without the case especially if you're using the internal DAC.

With respect to cutting out this has been a problem with iOS devices however many are reporting that iOS 10.3.3 fixes it. I haven't been using the internal DAC (I use my mojo and analog in to the CDM) in my CDM for awhile but mine was working fine with my iPad on 10.3.3. Specifically related to the CDM there was a fix identified earlier in the thread involving strapping a couple of resistors on the PCB. My CDM does not have this mod. I believe later production CDMs have this already done but I'm not sure. Search for resistor in this thread and you should find it. What version of iOS are you running?

With respect to noise and interference I experience the same issue. The CDM does seem to be sensitive to interference especially cell signals. A possible fix is putting ferrite core filters on your USB cable. I used these for the cable to my mojo and they did make a difference.

Have you tried tube rolling? The CDM responds quite well to different tubes if your looking for a sun tile change in the sound.

Jul 23, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #1,999 of 2,704
I have the black star case and don't have any overheating problems. It does run quite hot even without the case especially if you're using the internal DAC.

With respect to cutting out this has been a problem with iOS devices however many are reporting that iOS 10.3.3 fixes it. I haven't been using the internal DAC (I use my mojo and analog in to the CDM) in my CDM for awhile but mine was working fine with my iPad on 10.3.3. Specifically related to the CDM there was a fix identified earlier in the thread involving strapping a couple of resistors on the PCB. My CDM does not have this mod. I believe later production CDMs have this already done but I'm not sure. Search for resistor in this thread and you should find it. What version of iOS are you running?

With respect to noise and interference I experience the same issue. The CDM does seem to be sensitive to interference especially cell signals. A possible fix is putting ferrite core filters on your USB cable. I used these for the cable to my mojo and they did make a difference.

Have you tried tube rolling? The CDM responds quite well to different tubes if your looking for a sun tile change in the sound.
thanks
i have not yet installed 10.3.3. i'm in the one before - i shall install tonight/tomorrow morning

i only just bought the alo cdm so maybe not installed - did you find the same where no music was being heard though it appears the digital connection between phone and cdm was there and track was still "playing" - ie moving forward?

if i was going to get a case i was thinking the glove - the other didn't appeal to me

i'll read up on the ferrite core filters you mentioned - is a better (shielded) usb cable going to maybe help?

re rolling i have only read the headfonia article and that a number of people say the changes are only small.
in the headfonia article i do read some comments on various tubes saying that treble may be cleaner or extended ( i like that) but bass is a little looser (not wanting that).

what's your experience with tubes with the cdm?

i'm planning to buy a norne silver cable to use with my se846 so that should tighten things up and increase detail (as per my norne silvergarde that i have for my hd800)

Jul 23, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #2,000 of 2,704
thanks
i have not yet installed 10.3.3. i'm in the one before - i shall install tonight/tomorrow morning

i only just bought the alo cdm so maybe not installed - did you find the same where no music was being heard though it appears the digital connection between phone and cdm was there and track was still "playing" - ie moving forward?

if i was going to get a case i was thinking the glove - the other didn't appeal to me

i'll read up on the ferrite core filters you mentioned - is a better (shielded) usb cable going to maybe help?

re rolling i have only read the headfonia article and that a number of people say the changes are only small.
in the headfonia article i do read some comments on various tubes saying that treble may be cleaner or extended ( i like that) but bass is a little looser (not wanting that).

what's your experience with tubes with the cdm?

i'm planning to buy a norne silver cable to use with my se846 so that should tighten things up and increase detail (as per my norne silvergarde that i have for my hd800)

If you just bought the CDM it may have the mod already done. It's easy to check by opening it up and checking the PCB. In the post of this forum there is a pic that shows the location. I thought of doing the mod myself but the micro size of the components scared me off.

And yes when mine wasn't working well it had the same behaviour as yours, track showed as still playing but no sound.

I can't really help much with the tubes as I've never listened to the stock tubes for comparison. I bought it used and it came with the CV3986 tubes installed. You're right about subtle differences between tubes. I bought some 6BF7 tubes from ALO and did notice a fuller sound with them. I just got some other tubes and will be experimenting soon. I'll keep you posted.

Enjoy, it's an awesome transportable unit, I use mine for most of my listening at home. For me it's a little to large and hot for out and about listening, but also great for travel....

Jul 23, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #2,001 of 2,704
thanks for the info for me to check

i find it's fine as a portable - not too warm with standard tubes - only downside i've find is that i'm hearing that it needs some time (say 20-30 mins) to come up nicely in sound - it is a tube amp after all

surprising, based on reluctance from others to use it as a portable unit, essentially the same size as the sony pha 3 i have been using
the pha 3 another good dac/amp (to my ears) but different in style (ss). essentially a great open detailed neutralish sound

Aug 10, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #2,003 of 2,704
the contiental dual mono is a great amplifier which delivers desktop quality sound and you can tune the sound with different tubes. the dac of the aol is ok, but no challenger for the hugo 2, personally i find also the mojo has a better dac then the alo.

the hugo 2 is a real great dac, switching form the yggdrasil to the hugo 2 (green filter) via the bhse and sr-009 it's hard to hear big differences, the yggdrasil has a bit more musicality, the hugo 2 performs with a tad more resolution. the differences of the two are small and more a question of your personal flavor then performance. looking at your gear you should go for the hugo 2 and upgrade your dac. out of the hugo 2 the utopia plays wounderful.

Aug 10, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #2,004 of 2,704
the contiental dual mono is a great amplifier which delivers desktop quality sound and you can tune the sound with different tubes. the dac of the aol is ok, but no challenger for the hugo 2, personally i find also the mojo has a better dac then the alo.

the hugo 2 is a real great dac, switching form the yggdrasil to the hugo 2 (green filter) via the bhse and sr-009 it's hard to hear big differences, the yggdrasil has a bit more musicality, the hugo 2 performs with a tad more resolution. the differences of the two are small and more a question of your personal flavor then performance. looking at your gear you should go for the hugo 2 and upgrade your dac. out of the hugo 2 the utopia plays wounderful.
Really go for Hugo 2 and upgrade my dac? Not amp?

Also thats a little outdated I have Dita Dream iems which is part of the reason I'm hunting above mojo.

Thanks!

Aug 10, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #2,005 of 2,704
the hugo 2 amp has a lot of power and controle, i like the alo a lot but with the hugo 2 you have a great dac and amp. the alo is great to fine tune the sound changing the tubes but it's not a very powerful amp i use it only with my earphones.

Aug 10, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #2,006 of 2,704
the hugo 2 amp has a lot of power and controle, i like the alo a lot but with the hugo 2 you have a great dac and amp. the alo is great to fine tune the sound changing the tubes but it's not a very powerful amp i use it only with my earphones.

Used cdm with Aeon hp last night.
Great closed hp.
Used about 3/4 of total power.
DX200 connected to CDM.

Aug 10, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #2,007 of 2,704
Has anyone had a chance to compare this to Hugo 2?

Looks like these are my only two options around this price point.
To be frank, the CDM's DAC section isn't that stellar. If you want an all-in-one portable DAC/amp unit, you'd be better off going with a Hugo 2 (or even 1). I haven't compared the Hugo 1 (or 2) with the CDM, as I've always used the CDM as an amp for a more pronounced source (e.g. Hugo > CDM).

With that said, the CDM's amp section is quite authoritative. It's rich sounding, and adds a touch of warmth and body to your music.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #2,008 of 2,704

Just a different opinion: when I owned the Mojo and CDM, I preferred the CDM DAC. The Mojo was a tad too clinical for me and felt a bit 'artificial'; it was very resolving though. I reckon the Hugo/Hugo 2 ups the resolution and details. The CDM DAC often gets beat up by a lot of people when compared to other higher end DACs but I feel ALO tuned it for a specific sound: warm, natural, and pleasing. I don't think they tuned this DAC to be for reference comparisons but to just enjoy the sound - which it does, in spades. By the way, the amp section on the CDM was powerful enough for me when on the HI setting although I was near the max on the knob on some occasions.

People's ears are different. For example, I absolutely cannot listen to the HD650s (way too dark) but people swear by this headphone and it's been around for a long time. I also think the HiFiMan HE500 and AKG K701 are too bright but people really like these headphones as well. Point being, let your ears dictate what you like and purchase accordingly.

Well, back to my music, which is what all this is really about...

:)

Aug 24, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #2,009 of 2,704
Just ordered the CDM in black, with all other tubes for tube rolling and a 2.5mm balanced cable for my AK380. Should arrive tomorrow. I´m excited as a toddler on christmas day! And today, my new Moon Audio Balanced Silver Cable for my my Layla II arrived, so great times ahead, folks!!! :wink:

Aug 24, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #2,010 of 2,704
Just ordered the CDM in black, with all other tubes for tube rolling and a 2.5mm balanced cable for my AK380. Should arrive tomorrow. I´m excited as a toddler on christmas day! And today, my new Moon Audio Balanced Silver Cable for my my Layla II arrived, so great times ahead, folks!!! :wink:

I have a similar configuration. One tip - if you have power plugged into to one or both components while playing, you may hear ground loop hum because the 2.5mm balanced port does not have a common ground. The solution is simple - wherever you have the USB port of the AK380 connected (PC, hub, etc.), just connect the USB port of the CDM to the same power source and that will close the ground loop. Even though you are using the 2.5mm input on the CDM, the USB can still be used to connect ground. If you only use the pair on batteries, you will not have any grounding issues. I personally use an iFI iUSB 2.0 since it 2 USB port output - power only and full USB. I connect the CDM to power only and full USB to the SP1000 and it works great with no ground loop.

The difference of CDM for the Laylas versus from your AK380 will be quite literally day and night. The clarity that you will hear is stunning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back