The all new Continental Dual Mono
Apr 20, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #1,966 of 2,704
Good day

Just bought a Alo CDM and I love. I'm having some problems connecting the ak240 via USB however.

So far, I've been using the ak240 connected via the balanced 2.5 mm but I wanted to compare the sound using USB to be able to acces the DAC of the CDM.

I've purchase a USB micro male to micro male from moon audio. I know the cable works because I tried it with the ak240 & the mojo (I usually use an optical cable for the mojo, also from moon audio).

So :

1) I know the USB out works from ak240 to mojo using said moon audio cable. But I can't get the ak240 to recognize the device when I plug the Alo CDM with it.

Could somebody help ?

Ps I've tried the micro USB male/male on both sides, in case there was a designated side. No result.

I would contact ALO to confirm if your CDM has the "R Mod" fix for OTG compatibility. If you bought your CDM used it is very likely missing the mod and for sure, it does not work with AK DAPs if you don't have the mod. You can also try to do the mod yourself but need to be very experienced with soldering to do so. Otherwise, ALO will do the mod for you.

Apr 20, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #1,968 of 2,704
Good day

Just bought a Alo CDM and I love. I'm having some problems connecting the ak240 via USB however.

So far, I've been using the ak240 connected via the balanced 2.5 mm but I wanted to compare the sound using USB to be able to acces the DAC of the CDM.

I've purchase a USB micro male to micro male from moon audio. I know the cable works because I tried it with the ak240 & the mojo (I usually use an optical cable for the mojo, also from moon audio).

So :

1) I know the USB out works from ak240 to mojo using said moon audio cable. But I can't get the ak240 to recognize the device when I plug the Alo CDM with it.

Could somebody help ?

Ps I've tried the micro USB male/male on both sides, in case there was a designated side. No result.

Mine doesn't work either, maybe the CMD needs R Mod.

Apr 27, 2017 at 1:44 AM Post #1,970 of 2,704
I made a small tool to make the change of tubes easy for the ALO Contiental Dual Mono and ALO Continental V5.

9933345_thumb.jpg

Grab the 3d files here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2274841

Attachments

• tube_remover_alo_2.jpg
    tube_remover_alo_2.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 0
Apr 29, 2017 at 5:05 AM Post #1,971 of 2,704
Any news of a version of the ALO CDM without a DAC part ? only tube AMP ? this will be welcome since many users with TOL DAPs use the Line-In...

Apr 30, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #1,973 of 2,704
Any news of a version of the ALO CDM without a DAC part ? only tube AMP ? this will be welcome since many users with TOL DAPs use the Line-In...
I thought that the CV5 was the CDM sans DAC? Granted, it's a single tube, but it was meant to be the portable, amp-only CDM that some users were asking for. After all, the CDM is a bit too big for general portable use. :D

May 1, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #1,974 of 2,704
I am trying to get DSD working on my Macbookpro running Jriver. I have installed the Cmedia dmb but when I play DSD I get static and the music is very faint in the background of the static. I can select the CDM from the tools --> options --> Audio device so the program is finding it.

May 2, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #1,976 of 2,704
Is it always better to run headphones on low gain (if you have enough volume that way) due to the lower noise floor?

Generally yes, but some folks find a little more dynamic sound using hi gain. As long as you don't hear any hiss or background noise, there is nothing wrong running hi output mode.

May 2, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #1,977 of 2,704
Generally yes, but some folks find a little more dynamic sound using hi gain. As long as you don't hear any hiss or background noise, there is nothing wrong running hi output mode.

My IEMs are so sensitive that they hiss regardless of gain setting but yea, I'll run headphones on low.

May 16, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #1,978 of 2,704
When I plug in my IEMs (3.5mm) and gradually being to increase the volume on the CDM, I hear it first only in the right monitor and as I keep turning volume begins to increase on the left, and then the right increases again and then they seem to balance out. Is this normal?

May 25, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #1,979 of 2,704
When I plug in my IEMs (3.5mm) and gradually being to increase the volume on the CDM, I hear it first only in the right monitor and as I keep turning volume begins to increase on the left, and then the right increases again and then they seem to balance out. Is this normal?

Yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back