The 6SN7 Identification Guide
Jun 9, 2017 at 12:54 AM Post #122 of 529
Quote:

Who actually produced 5692s in the USA is a controversial issue amongst tube lovers; here are some of the competing theories:

- All red base 5692s were made by RCA.
- All red base 5692s were actually made by GE, but for RCA (explains the high incidence of GE labeled red bases).
- All brown base 5692s were made by CBS-Hytron.
- Raytheon made a brown base 5692.
- Sylvania made a brown base 5692.
- Westinghouse made a brown base 5692.

[My opinion, based on personal experience, is that GE made red-based 5692s for RCA, and that CBS-Hytron (earlier) and Sylvania (later) made brown-based 5692s.]

Just to make matters worse, I have a pair of red-base 5692's that are Sylvania branded
smily_headphones1.gif

But here is the skinny on the 5692. The original 5692 was introduced by RCA in 1949. However, RCA red base 5692's were never manufactured by RCA, they were built under contract by General Electric, as the OP indicated. General Electric branded 5692 red base tubes are also quite common, and are identical of course to the RCA's, and as a side benefit generally sell for less oddly enough. I am almost 100% certain the Westinghouse branded ones are also GE made.

CBS-Hytron, Sylvania, and Raytheon 5692's, as the OP surmised, are indeed NOT the GE tube. CBS-Hytron manufactured their own 5692, as did Raytheon and Sylvania. They look virtually identical to the RCA/GE except for the brown base (although there are some Sylvania Red Bases as well). Standard Electric of Sweden also made the 5692 usually labelled 33S30, and some consider it the best sounding, although it is almost impossible to find.

Many people, me included, feel the CBS/Hytron sounds better than the GE/RCA. I think it sounds MUCH better, actually.

Later black-base tubes from RCA labeled 5692 are not really 5692's are are not good sounding tubes.

Wanted to share my opinion on the 5692's in general. I can't say I've listened critically to the CBS,but having listened to the GE/RCA extensively over the years, they
are not in my opinion, great sounding 6SN7 tubes, perhaps good in some systems. The experiences of my friends and customers who have tried many other tubes, seem to echo this.
The idea, the market seems to have that "long life" tubes, and this also goes for tubes in the 12A*7 family are better sounding and should be of greater value is a foolish one IMO.
Does a Prius outperform a Porsche? (telefunken ecc803S, weird sounding tube, not as good as a regular Tele ECC83, when I've heard it)
The 40's Grey Glass RCA 6SN7GT/231 is a better sounding tube than 5692. Also, look out for the Pre-GTA clear glass RCA 6SN7GT, which is pretty much the same as the grey glass tube and should be very reasonable.

Jun 9, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #123 of 529
circatubes,

What are your favorite 6SN7 tubes? Do you have a preference for the output buffer stage versus the gain stage? I am using a Schiit Audio Freya and people say that the output buffer stage tubes affect the sound less.

Thanks!

Jun 9, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #124 of 529
circatubes,

What are your favorite 6SN7 tubes? Do you have a preference for the output buffer stage versus the gain stage? I am using a Schiit Audio Freya and people say that the output buffer stage tubes affect the sound less.

Thanks!

It's been my experience that the tube on the buffer stage does effect the sound. I noticed a solid difference when I changed it from the stock tube to a Northern Electric 6SN7.

Jun 9, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #125 of 529
It's been my experience that the tube on the buffer stage does effect the sound. I noticed a solid difference when I changed it from the stock tube to a Northern Electric 6SN7.

Please note that I said "affect the sound less".

Jun 9, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #126 of 529
Please note that I said "affect the sound less".

Yes. It will have less of an impact then the gain side. I believe many people leave the original tubes on the buffer side.

Jun 10, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #128 of 529
Jun 11, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #129 of 529
Jun 14, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #130 of 529
My favorite 6SN7's to listen to have been the Sylvania's: Bad Boy 3 -hole plate, 2 hole GT/231 black and grey plates, 6SN7W all versions. Tung Sol round plate and GTB.
Have found Ken Rad and RCA to be good in systems that veer towards overly analytical.

Jun 14, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #132 of 529
Are these real "Bad Boys"?:

Jun 15, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #134 of 529
Yes, one was relabeled by RCA or GE looks like. Has 52' glass code.

That tube on the left is labeled "S. R. L. INC." But I know that other names were put on Sylvania "Bad Boy" tubes so that doesn't bother me. The right tube is from the 13th week of 1953 which is still in the right date range for "Bad Boy" tubes. All the construction looks correct too. I just can't tell what kind of getter these tubes have.

I bought the pair for $120....

Jun 15, 2017 at 1:57 AM Post #135 of 529
That tube on the left is labeled "S. R. L. INC." But I know that other names were put on Sylvania "Bad Boy" tubes so that doesn't bother me. The right tube is from the 13th week of 1953 which is still in the right date range for "Bad Boy" tubes. All the construction looks correct too. I just can't tell what kind of getter these tubes have.

I bought the pair for $120....

Oh OK. the 4-52, looked like GE or maybe one of RCA's fonts. Have had them with all of those labels. SRL relabeled a lot of Tung Sol
T plate variety and also Raytheon.
Looks like a nice buy on a good used pair. They look pretty nice from the pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back